Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Mech pros:
- smaller mod for given power
-No pulsing. Power is continuous
-Tend to be much more rugged and last longer
-The “hipster factor” of having an old school mod

Mech cons:
-Potentially dangerous if not used correctly
-Fairly wasteful of battery life
-Require more tools and equipment to operate
-Generally a lot more complicated to wick and wire (not always but often)

Regulated pros:
-Much much simpler to operate
-tend to be more efficient with battery life
-significant safety features marking them a lot less bother.

Regulated cons:
-Tend to be comparatively large clunky devices
-“pulse” power system reduces the nuanced flavor of some juices
-are significantly more fragile and tend to break if dropped for example

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
please elaborate on how a regulated is more efficient than a mech. i would think a pcb would be an electricity consumer.
It depends on how you define effencincy. You get more good puffs out of a battery from a regulated mod because it is regulated. A battery sort of acts like a balloon in that as the energy is expended the “pressure” (volts) drops as well. As a result the vape is uneven and very quickly becomes anemic where with a regulated mod you get the same performance throughout the discharge of the battery.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Unregulated only really become significantly less efficient at higher power levels because of the losses inherent in high current systems.

I love - the aesthetics of tube mechs, the simplicity, that cared for they will last forever, their compactness, because obstinate ludditism.
I don't love - the constant cleaning, the irregular power delivery curve, the limitations of using a single 18650

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
For me, I prefer mechs because I use squonkers 99% of the time.
I don't want a bottle of juice jammed in a box right next to a circuit board .
I also don't want to throw a mod away because it stopped working. I like having the option to buy a $10 sheet of beryllium copper from amazon so I can rebuild my entire mod if I so choose.
I disagree that mechs are more complicated than regulated mods. I build a .3 ohm SS single coil and push the fire button. It Vapes perfectly all the way through an 8 ml bottle. I change the battery when I refill. No messing with TC, no accidentally changing my power settings, no 5 clicks to turn on, no updates for firmware, no scrambled screens if I drop it.....no nothing. Just build, wick, juice, and done .

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
the irregular power delivery curve
You can mess with that a bit by using what we call "tc for the poor" on the other side of the pond. It means building with NiFe48 wire (TCR 400), the resistance will rise a considerable amount and limit the energy output a bit, making for a slightly more uniform delivery curve for a longer time.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have yet to throw away a mech mod! You can strip them down and clean every part. Put them back together and work better than before cleaning.
I have several bricked regulated mods that for whatever reason, stopped working!
Mech mods for life bro!
I have. They were clones made of creepy lead filled metal, or devices I lost parts for, but I’ve done it. There was one guy on here a while back who wore out his golden Greek and was looking for a replacement. Took him 8(!) years to wear it out though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am just curious how do you wick and wire a mech mod?o_O:evil:
There’s a certain amount of math and additional equipment involved. Mechs don’t have ohm meters in them so you really need one of those for one. The wire NEEDS to be checked for it’s actual resistance. You generally want to try to build for a particular ohm resistance that fits the batteries you have. Hence math. There’s also the simple solution of never making a wire lower than .5ohm . The issue is if you exceed the capacity of the batteries you can create a road flare situation. The danger bit and the complications of wiring bit are tied together.
If you build a wire with a high resistance though you’re so far into the safe zone you can reasonably ignore the math.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Mech mods, albeit far simpler, are for experienced users. In the wrong hands, they're fairly dangerous. This is and has always been the disclaimer.
Those of us that sing the praises of mech mods have done a fair bit of reading and research. Those that have had terrible experiences with mechs probably have done no research or reading.

Although, it seems like multi cell regulated devices have burned their fair share of Levi's and purses in the last year or two. There just aren't any fool proof devices. A fool can figure out how to wreck pretty much anything.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
I have. They were clones made of creepy lead filled metal, or devices I lost parts for, but I’ve done it. There was one guy on here a while back who wore out his golden Greek and was looking for a replacement. Took him 8(!) years to wear it out though.
I've retired my fair share of mods for one reason or another. I keep all of my retired mods for S&G, you never know when you will want to revisit an old school mod.
For now I use a dual battery series squonker ;)
Mama likes big clouds :D

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I prefer mechs for the simplicity. Less to go wrong with the mod, and I prefer mech squonkers to regulated for their smaller size.

I have two Reo Grands in my stable that are topped with O-Little clones built with tiny coils that I can vape for days on a single battery charge without a noticeable decrease in performance. On the other hand I have a Pulse 22 built with a single stainless steel clapton coil that eats batter life. It's about finding a nice balance.

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
Question is just along the lines of why people prefer mechs over regulated. I originally thought that it was because people can use lower ohm coils, but after researching and watching mooch’s videos, I realize that I can run the same builds on a regulated device, since ohms are pretty irrelevant for the most part.
It appears from the OP, AND a number of the replies, that many either have forgotten or don't know that mech's can and many times do have more than one battery. If I missed something related to this thread being limited to single battery mech's, or limited to only one battery type or voltage - please accept my apologies and read no further ;-)

Mech vape time can be greatly extended with multiple batteries (run in parallel or series), and/or by build. Voltage changes (based on battery configuration), so mech's can and do run more than low ohm builds greatly expanding build options.

Additionally, a "mech" can include a potentiometer (fixed or adjustable) potentially extending battery life (coil build is not the only option). I say this because a potentiometer can be mechanical in design.

My typical daily vapes include single & dual-mech's. Dual mech with potentiometer can be run in parallel or series, and my current build useage kinda goes like ... With freshly charged batteries vapes very nice in parallel. As voltage drops below the threshold for the juice I am vaping, I change battery configuration over to series and turn potentiometer way down to achieve a vape that is very close to fully charged parallel config, and gradually turn up the potentiometer as needed until batteries near recharge voltage minimum's.

I DO NOT advocate anyone do what I do. Especially not without a very good understanding of the principals involved and with specific goals, but wanted to let folks know that just because most choose to drive cars with computers (ECU's = Electronic Control Unit's), that older vehicles can still run perfectly fine (and better in some cases). Vapes are much the same, the industry seems to have forgotten our past as it pushes it's marketing agenda.

For these and other reasons, I agree with many of the mech "pro's" listed in this thread, but disagree with many of the mech "con's" listed.

Hopefully something useful here to someone.
Regards,

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
I am just curious how do you wick and wire a mech mod?o_O:evil:
The same as a regulated mod (except you need to understand the principals involved, because there is no protection circuitry for ignorance and or mistakes - kinda like choosing to carry with one in the chamber ;-)).

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I guess my "joke" flew right over everyones head.
I was just trying to point out that mods don't get wicked and wired.Atomisers do.:)
I am not sure why it would be any more complicated to wick and wire an atty on a mech then a regulated device.Unless they were referring to the need to be more accurate in your target resistance; but in that case wouldn't all atomisers be equally more complicated to build on a mech? Maybe I am missing something?:confused:

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I guess my "joke" flew right over everyones head.
I was just trying to point out that mods don't get wicked and wired.Atomisers do.:)
I am not sure why it would be any more complicated to wick and wire an atty on a mech then a regulated device.Unless they were referring to the need to be more accurate in your target resistance; but in that case wouldn't all atomisers be more complicated to build on a mech? Maybe I am missing something?:confused:
Yep. Flew right over my head, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread