Confused on size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Hi guys,

I have been looking at the MicroPuck jig to build coils for my Protank 2 Mini. It looks easier than wrapping coils freestyle. It come with 4 rods, the 1.44mm is supposed to be the equivalent to a 1/16 drill bit. I thinks it's smaller, is this going to cause me problems? I will be using cotton wicks.

Writing this at 5am, confusion reigns :confused:

DanR

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
1/16 equals 1.588mm. It's not difficult to use a drill bit.
Or use a set of precision screwdrivers if you have them laying around .

Precision Screwdriver Set.jpg

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Good Morning, sleepy Dan!

I probably have the lamest coil-building setup imaginable - 1/16" drill bit, tweezers to help with setting the wick, nail clippers to trim the wires, beard trimming shears to trim the wick and an OHMMETER to check my builds :D (I'm not sure how familiar you may be with building coils, but I always like to remind folks about measuring their builds before they attempt to fire any coil they've built. No disrespect to your abilities intended.) I can't say that wrapping on 1.44 mm is good or bad as long as you confirm the result.

I personally like the 1/16" bit, as it fits perfectly in the channels of the base of my kanger heads. I can hold the bit steady while I'm resetting the insulator and the bottom center pin. If I could figure a way to go with a slightly higher diameter in those, I probably would. Never tried anything more narrow. I'm guessing as long as you're not choking the cotton in the coil, it likely doesn't matter with the smaller diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread