Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
A quick re-visit to an aging thread:

The coil jigs.... The artistic wire gizmo has been a popular item and has been discussed often. I own one. It works... I found it a lot easier to just wrap my coils around a screw I found on my desk or just wrap them around one of the rods that came with the gizmo. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's sort of a toss up between just using one of those rods the OP linked to on avidvaper.

The Coil Master is more or less a Kuro clone... but even though the interchangeable heads was a good idea, they got the distance between the hole the wire runs through the handle and the shaft wrong so it has a tendency to make the wire stack on top of itself instead of coiling up the shaft. It's a real pain. There are other Kuro clones... some better than others, but all of the interchangeable heads or interchangeable bits versions have similar problems. The worst of the bunch is the one that comes in a plastic box that actually says "kuro concepts" right on it (I love RTD but he should stop selling that bit of junk).

If you want a stick-style coil jig, either get a Boom Boom Revolver (from maple vapes) or get a real Kuro direct from Jon at Kuro Concepts... If you choose a real Kuro, you might want to do that soon. He isn't going to manufacture his newer design and I sort of wonder if he will continue manufacturing the original Kuro. It took less than 2 weeks from the first reviews of the Kuro for clones to start appearing (99.9999% of them are junk, and I won't get in to my personal appreciation for American made goods.... lots of folks just look at the price tag and the color and stop right there).

Of the two I just suggested - I like the Kuro better because it's simpler. There's no center screw to mess with and since I really don't have any reason to remove the shafts, there are no loose parts to lose. - It is worth mentioning: Kuro comes in three sizes where the revolver gives you all three sizes in one kit, so it's more expensive to own all three Kuros. -- Also worth mentioning: It's a lot cheaper to do your homework and buy a working, quality item like a real Kuro or Revolver rather than buy 4 or 6 or 10 or whatever items that *look* like them just to find out they are not.

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
28ga spaced with ReadyXwick ~.9ohm

My goto build on a RM2 and other small chamber single coil atty's

oHU9JO2.jpg

I am thinking of trying some Readyxwick. Are you using the 2 or 3 size? I am building mico coils so I wasn't sure which readyxwick to buy! What are the advantages of it vs cotton ? Sorry for so many questions but I'm still learning!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
That looks like 2mm and that's what you'd want for 1/16 coils. I find it to be flavor neutral, it lasts forever and you can dry burn the coil with wick in place to clean it. This also means the occasional dry hit does not toast the wick. After you get used to it even gives a slight warning before the dry hit. That coil and wick build he has will last for months.

Some people prefer to wrap larger coils and use the 3mm wick. I've found that spaced coils like he has worked better than touching for the 2mm wick and either spaced or tight work with the 3mm wick.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Hi peeps,

would this work with the reo-m & rm2? It's quick and easy (esp. if my hands are acting up -- arthritis :mad: or time constraints. I'm currently using cisco 510 and getting 306 attys, but they're rather expensive. Just in case.

If 1.5Ω is ok with you I can send you 10 or more already wicked. Just PM me.

slappy3139

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
New Iberia, LA, USA
A quick re-visit to an aging thread:

The coil jigs.... The artistic wire gizmo has been a popular item and has been discussed often. I own one. It works... I found it a lot easier to just wrap my coils around a screw I found on my desk or just wrap them around one of the rods that came with the gizmo. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's sort of a toss up between just using one of those rods the OP linked to on avidvaper.

The Coil Master is more or less a Kuro clone... but even though the interchangeable heads was a good idea, they got the distance between the hole the wire runs through the handle and the shaft wrong so it has a tendency to make the wire stack on top of itself instead of coiling up the shaft. It's a real pain. There are other Kuro clones... some better than others, but all of the interchangeable heads or interchangeable bits versions have similar problems. The worst of the bunch is the one that comes in a plastic box that actually says "kuro concepts" right on it (I love RTD but he should stop selling that bit of junk).

If you want a stick-style coil jig, either get a Boom Boom Revolver (from maple vapes) or get a real Kuro direct from Jon at Kuro Concepts... If you choose a real Kuro, you might want to do that soon. He isn't going to manufacture his newer design and I sort of wonder if he will continue manufacturing the original Kuro. It took less than 2 weeks from the first reviews of the Kuro for clones to start appearing (99.9999% of them are junk, and I won't get in to my personal appreciation for American made goods.... lots of folks just look at the price tag and the color and stop right there).

Of the two I just suggested - I like the Kuro better because it's simpler. There's no center screw to mess with and since I really don't have any reason to remove the shafts, there are no loose parts to lose. - It is worth mentioning: Kuro comes in three sizes where the revolver gives you all three sizes in one kit, so it's more expensive to own all three Kuros. -- Also worth mentioning: It's a lot cheaper to do your homework and buy a working, quality item like a real Kuro or Revolver rather than buy 4 or 6 or 10 or whatever items that *look* like them just to find out they are not.
Yeah, I have all 3 of the Kuro coil jigs and they work really well, so well that I ordered the coilmaster thinking it would give me more coil size options. It doesn't work well at all, was really disappointed in it.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I make tight coils with the Kuro Koiler 2.0 but I could buy the 3.0 Koiler. I think I will get some of both size wicks and play with it! Thanks for the responses! I might also try to free hand the coils to get them spaced out. I haven't tried that yet.

Just wrap like normal, then with the coil still on the spindle pull on the ends to stretch it out making it a nice spaced coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread