Not open for further replies.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
Another noob question, so I see all these gorgeous mech tube mods. How does one control wattage on a mech?

Sorry to be such a noob!

you control the wattage by the resistance of the coil. if you like vaping at 20 watts, you'd build a .8ish ohm coil.

you'd start out at 22ish watts and end at around 16ish watts when the battery hits 3.6 volts (doing math in my head, someone correct me if I'm wrong) the formula is (volts x volts) / resistance to figure out watts.

since there isn't anything regulating, you get straight DC voltage from the battery, which gets smaller and smaller the more you use it.

ETA: most of our batteries start at 4.2 volts. I normally change mine at 3.5 or 3.6, as that's when it's a noticeable difference for me and the resistance I normally vape at.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Another noob question, so I see all these gorgeous mech tube mods. How does one control wattage on a mech?

Sorry to be such a noob!
@petrotech has it. On a less topical note, you need not apologize for noobishness. Everyone is a noob at something.

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
That is why they are called mech mods, they are completely mechanical. It is really just a battery and a switch. There is no regulation or protection.

Evolv does have a product called the Kick 2 that can placed inside a mech mod that offers some regulation. It only goes to 15 watts though. And for what they cost you could just get an inexpensive regulated device instead.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, in a way. Mechs are liked as they are pretty technical... You have to learn to build well enough and have enough knowledge of battery safety to use one as yes, your coil will determine the type of vape you will experience. There's lots to learn if you are interested in one... I think some of the more expensive mechs are just functionally gorgeous and use fantastic materials and design, some of them are complete works of art. But you can get an inexpensive mech working just as well as a more expensive one, if you know what you are doing.... You may want to check out this board for more info: Mech Mods

Good luck, but you can get good results with a regulated mod as well.... :)

Anna

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
So what is so attractive about mechs given they have such few features? Some of the prices are astronomical!

in many cases where they are really expensive; they are either very small batch runs (ie. 250 units per batch) and hand finished, or are made of really pricey materials. both of these reasons will push the labor time up and hence the price. others are just truely overpriced for what they are.

the appeal used to be that you could run lower resistances and higher wattage than regulated mods. this really isnt the case anymore with some regulateds exceeding 250 watts safely and firing down to .1 ohms.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So what is so attractive about mechs given they have such few features? Some of the prices are astronomical!
Mechs are older. Back in the day people made them in their basements a little like bespoke guitars. It’s what they cost at the time, and they last forever, so some people are still willing to pay that much for an authentic one. You can usually find a Chinese clone of one of the expensive types for a few dollars. Poorer machining and materials but generally work alike.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I'm rough on my mods....dropped my mod in a bucket of gasoline last week. took it home, cleaned it off, rebuilt it. worked good as new. one of the many reasons I use them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why do people choose a mech over regulated?

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
5d576c19b3b5134ded0c2b4773068cdb--creative-design-vape-on.jpg

The "Tribal" mod was a hand-carved, limited edition mechanical which sold for $3,000 each.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.

Hi and welcome to the board. You may be a n00b, but you ask some good questions. For your first, @petrotech has answered you: the only way to "adjust" wattage on a mech is to change the coil. All mechs and mech-like devices use native battery voltage as the power source, and the "strength" of the vape declines as the battery discharges down from full charge. Regulated mods, OTOH, use some electronic magic to change (regulate, hence the name) the voltage as applied to the coil so you can get whatever watts you set on the machine with any coil so long as the batteries have enough charge left to power the electronics board in the mod. Properly understood, there are two circuits; a power circuit by which the batteries power the board, and a firing circuit by which the board sends power to the coil. While interconnected, they do not impede one another so long, as I said, enough power remains in the batteries to allow the board to do its hocus-pocus.

Broadly, the difference between a mech and a regulated is regulated mods are safer and easier to use, they can vape at a specific strength regardless of battery level (down to cut-off voltage) and nowadays they are (correction, can be; they are not all built with great power) more powerful than any mech not containing an uncomfortable-to-carry amount of batteries. A mech is as simple as simple can be: just a tube or box, some batteries and a switch. They are simpler in construction than a regulated and are far more technically challenging to use. One has to be a coil builder to make one work with any facility and a good coil builder to make one work well. While a mech can be vaped safely-- I've been doing it for years-- they lack all the safety devices nowadays incorporated in a regulated mod and are therefore less safe. (Heed my warning: it is very easy to get in trouble with a mech if you don't know what you're doing. No fooling.)

Now, as to why anyone would choose one over the other, there are about as many reasons as there are vapers. Some people just want to vape and not fool with it, and these good folks are the regulated mod's natural constituency. Nothing easier to do than screw a pre-fab coil tank loaded with juice on a regulated, set the watts, and vape happy. Some folks-- I hear, can't prove it by me-- actually like vaping up above 200 watts or so. Those folk are also better off with a regulated as well; as are the safety conscious, or perhaps I should say the safety-nervous. Some stick with regulateds as they doubt their ability to undrstand the complex interactions between power, wire and juice necessary to really get the most out of a mech. And more and more, a large variety and combination of reasons.

Some, such as myself, really like mechs. I won't speak for others, but my reasons are:

1) Habit, perhaps: I started with mechs away back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and there were no regulated mods capable of more than 15 watts of power. I need more than that for a satisfying vape.

2) The utter simplicity of them appeals to the engineer in me. Mechs are, in that word so beloved of engineers, elegant. For some people simplicity isn't an important thing, it's the only important thing. Deal me in on that...

3) I happen to like the variation in vape power as the battery goes south. It adds... something, I dunno... to the experience of vaping.

4) I am a technically competent coil builder and I enjoy the challenge of getting the coil just exactly perfect and making a great vape. I am also not annoyed when I swing and miss and have to rebuild. I like fiddling with things.

5) And one more thing: they are very beautiful:

photo1.jpg

Last edited:

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I went at it completely backwards. I started with cig-a-likes and found those to be crap. Then got a Vision Spinner and it was the first thing that actually worked for me. It was a little tube shaped thing and fit my hand well enough...but I knocked it over a billion times and finally broke it. And then found out that they really don't seem to last much more than about six months or so anyway. Next I grabbed an Innokin VV and it was great, bought another to make sure I always had one charged, and I was seriously vaping. But then I realized I wanted something with replaceable batteries because I didn't like the idea of my entire device eventually becoming useless over time no matter how well I took care of it. So I got an SVD (woo hoo 15 Watts!) and then a VTR (fun form factor) before I grabbed a Sigelei 100 Watt box mod (dual batteries!). That Sigelei was a tank and I loved it I but eventually got a 200 Watt version with Temp Control, and I loved it too. The thing is, though, once I had a mod that would give me a lot of Wattage I started going higher and higher...until I started craving cigarettes again. Badly. It took me way too long to figure out that I had outsmarted myself. My vaping style wasn't giving me the cigarette experience I craved. So, back to the drawing board. I slowly invested in several MTL set ups and they worked for me. Vaporesso Aurora (great stealth vape). Kangertech EVOD Pro V1 (incredibly durable AIO). Joyetech Elitar Pipe (just plain fun and does TC). Aspire CF Mod (like a mech but regulated to a constant 4.2 Volts and I got it for free). Kangertech DripBox 160 (because squonking is fun).

BUT...there was recently a sale on a Big Buddha tank and a Dynast from EhPro. That's a 10 ml capacity chambered RBA and a 26650 mech mod that are pretty much made for each other. So now I have the tube shape that I like - but it feels comfy in my big floppy hand, I don't knock it over, I have juice for (literally) days, I have mAh for (literally) days, and the only thing I can break is the glass tank but I have a metal replacement if I do that. And the good thing about going through all of those mods is that I also went through a bunch of tanks and learned how to make (simple) coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread