Status
Not open for further replies.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
I use a similar widget in Linux since i am Windows Free these days

Tried Windows 7 yet? It's a Mac buster. lol I hated Vista, liked XP but Win7 rocks. Honestly I haven't tried Linux, and I do understand how it takes up less resources. But there is something really nice about a well built, user freindly GUI.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I used Windows 7 for a year just switched my main OS to linux the last month. Never cared for vista at all. Personally i am a fan of KDE which is windows like. Does everything windows can and more as far as setting up your desktop options. Still pretty hard to get online games that use punkbuster to work right in linux. But everything else you can do pretty much. I also went to college for IT so i had to take some linux classes kinda gives me a advantage. From when i started using linux till now it has gotten a lot more user friendly. Just about all distro's these days will run off a live CD so you dont have to install it to try it out. Just boot off the CD, runs slower that way not like it would run if installed. Best way to get the most speed is make a fast flash drive bootable and boot off it.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
This is my desktop in Kubuntu 10.10
snapshot3.png

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I used Windows 7 for a year just switched my main OS to linux the last month. Never cared for vista at all. Personally i am a fan of KDE which is windows like. Does everything windows can and more as far as setting up your desktop options. Still pretty hard to get online games that use punkbuster to work right in linux. But everything else you can do pretty much. I also went to college for IT so i had to take some linux classes kinda gives me a advantage. From when i started using linux till now it has gotten a lot more user friendly. Just about all distro's these days will run off a live CD so you dont have to install it to try it out. Just boot off the CD, runs slower that way not like it would run if installed. Best way to get the most speed is make a fast flash drive bootable and boot off it.

I don't think my laptop needs to boot faster. Comes on from standby in under a minute. Maybe because I'm running the 64bit win7. *shrug* I'm happy. Seems like learning Linux wouldn't be in my best interest anyway. Vista SUUUUXXX! Really can't stand that OS. I really hate my Dell-structo, and I am kinda glad it decided to lose it's keyboard function. Was a PITA for week being computerless. But I am more than satisfied. This thing is awesome for a laptop. Maybe if I'm able to fix the keyboard I'll turn it into a Linux machine just to play w/. What drivers are needed to run Linux? Will the Vista drivers work?

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
i only use linux (Mint) on my desktop for bittorrent. goes wicked fast!!!
laptop runs on W7

So _that_ is how you were recording videos :)

For torrents utorrent and private trackers keep me happy. My last linux trial was ubuntu Hardy Heron. After a year of W7 on an eeepc, my desktop got it finally 2 weeks ago.

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
So _that_ is how you were recording videos :)

For torrents utorrent and private trackers keep me happy. My last linux trial was ubuntu Hardy Heron. After a year of W7 on an eeepc, my desktop got it finally 2 weeks ago.
:)
really! no anti-virus, firewall or other bullballs to slow down yer downloads. i think bittorrent was first designed to run on linux and transmission comes with peerguardian.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Except you can run OSX on Wintel hardware.

Don't really want OSX. Not enough software compatability and lousy CS. Not to mention the near infinite abundance of PC goodies(hardware) that can easily be incorperated. I can't even imaging trying to hook up my winmobil phone to a MAC. The MAC might eat it. lol Yes, I am not a MAC guy, but I have worked with them in the past. I believe their high prices and lousy CS is about to catch up to them once win7 gets more popular. MACs were deffinately better than PCs in the 90s, but have been losing ground since then with increasingly better PC OS support. I think win7 may be a big nail in the MAC coffin unless they can bring their prices down. A similarly equipped MAC to the laptop I just bought would have cost me at least $2k. I paid $550 or so out the door. paying four times as much for a MAC just isn't a great idea IMHO, especially when you conside the tax alone being $150 extra to spend. Also, the lifespan of MAC equipment is no better than most PCs. So what are you really gaining for $1500 extra?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread