Cotton bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I like how much you get for $6 and that it primes super quick and all that, but has anyone else noticed that it eventually mutes the flavor.

I actually wicked 2 doge RDAs with KGD and cotton bacon and after day 3 with the cotton bacon shrank and the flavor was definitely muted and with max VG juice almost no taste. Cotton was fine and flavor was great.
Just my observation.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
I'd love to see some sort of scientific explanation for this as my little brain can't conceive how this would be possible. I mean cotton is cotton, as long as it sucks up the liquid and the coil isn't gunked up and can vaporize the liquid I don't see how it would be possible for the cotton bacon itself to reduce flavor.

Reactions: Retro138

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I'd love to see some sort of scientific explanation for this as my little brain can't conceive how this would be possible. I mean cotton is cotton, as long as it sucks up the liquid and the coil isn't gunked up and can vaporize the liquid I don't see how it would be possible for the cotton bacon itself to reduce flavor.
In the search, which I've should have used are a few threads about cotton bacon. There are pros and cons. I freshly dual coiled at 0.3 used it on the same box mod and used the same juice. IDK. :?:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
For me i found nothing special about cotton bacon. Where I live a bag costs $10 and i can get 120 organic cotton balls from the pharmacy for $5. I will probably finish the bag of cotton bacon and be done with that product.

One thing i have noticed with the cotton bacon is that there are little fuzz balls through the cotton. Kinda like little knotted up bits scattered throughout. Not really sure if there is any benefit are any possible negative results. Just an observation.

I should also note that i change my wicks every day.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Those little knotted up bits sound like what I see in regular CVS cotton balls. Some folks theorized that they slow down the wicking but I've yet to notice it. I get the same wicking with cotton bacon as I do with Shen cotton pads as I do with CVS cotton balls. It just works. The only difference to me is that the flat pads like those are a bit easier to work with as I can simply cut them with sharp scissors and then peel them in half where with the cotton balls I've got to try to tear them in the right proportion for wicking, but then again.... I can screw up a LOT of cotton balls at $0.88 a bag and it wouldn't be a bother. As long as I predrip on the CVS cotton balls really well, I never noticed the difference in the taste of the first few vapes, they simply taste like my liquid should taste and after that they're already identical in flavor between cotton balls from the pharmacy and the more expensive beauty pads and cotton bacon.

Honestly, I think that Cotton Bacon is just an attempt to try to take wicking to the designer level and *some* people are quick to jump on it to be part of the in-crowd. I really just don't notice any difference at all, other than the first couple hits if I don't saturate the cotton balls really well but what's the issue with that, it only takes about 7 or so drops.

But if your taste buds are more refined than mine and CB works for you, then I say keep at it. Enjoy your bacon. After all, everything is better with bacon as I'm sure the designers of Cotton Bacon realized when naming their product.

Last edited:

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I love the bacon. I use it almost exclusively. (I get some free KGD once in a while, but it tends to sit there until I am trying flavors and rewicking often.) It has never muted any flavor for me. It seems to hold more juice and wick faster than anything I have ever tried. And you can suck it down drier than a popcorn fart if you take small puffs, and it doesn't burn or loose it's "fluffy". The only time I've ever seen it flatten out was wen I accidentally touched the tip of a juice bottle to it while refilling, but all cotton does that if you press on it while it's wet. I've never actually worn out a piece. The only reason I've ever had to change it was to change flavors.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
bacon.jpg

I've run a lil over 100mL of a homebrewed 85%VG Raspberry lemonade juice through this cotton bacon on those claptons at 80+W and it's still like new.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Thanks for your input fellow vapers. Probably just my personal taste after reading the responses. I am going to just stay with KGD.
Same for me. KGD (or other cotton pads) work so good for me I even refuse to try cotton bacon. Super easy for Taifun and Kayfun (sure, even easier for drippers, but I almost do not use them). I do not separate any layer. Just cut piece wide enough and squeeze it into my 2.5-3 mm coil. Of course it has a square crossection, but it is perfect for Taifun (square juice holes). For kayfun it needs just some "brushing" of the ends to make them wide. I cannot imagine I can separate strands of cotton bacon (or cotton balls) of the same thickness with the same consistency I can cut pieces of pads. As for taste, I do not see any difference between any types of cotton I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread