Cotton yarn issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
I'd agree, original thread pictured looks really thin. Any of the last two mentioned would work. I as well remove a single strand and use 3 inside the coil. All four will work but it is pretty snug and once juice gets there I'd think the absorbtion would choke out and not fully get to the coil. I've got bottles ranging from 50-70 PG, so I pull apart the 4-strand yarn into four singles and use two of them as "flavor wicks". I do this only as a precaution to avoid flooding and to date have not had a burnt or dry hit.

Note, my wife picked up the S&C (white or ecru version, can't recall, you don't want the colored version..stay natural) b/c Walmart was out of the P&C. Later she picked it up also. In head to head, we just felt the S&C provided a better & strong flavor over the P&C. Note, given these balls of yarn are handled by customers, employees and go through who knows what before reaching the store...I do boil a foot or two at a time for about 20 minutes and let air dry overnight. I just set this cleaned cotton in a tupperware dish (no cover) and snip off some when time to rewick. I'd suggest storage in an open or breathable container. I kept my first batch in a zip locked baggie, must not of been 100% dry b/c after a bit it started to discolor inside the baggie. Tossed the lot and boiled some more...

Last edited:

phorumph

Aug 30, 2013
Cyprus
My first thought, based on the picture above, is that the strands are way too thin to really absorb any moderate level of juice.

I gotta thank you for this observation right here. It bugged me all day while at work. When I finished my current tank, I rewicked the current coil with 2 pieces of my yarn (so that would be like 20 strands) + a small 5 strand on top as flavor wick. Bingo! That's the exact same experience I had when I did it first time. I had 2 generous flavor wicks back then which, I assume, got very pressed on the coil. They were also sticking out pretty far.

Then I did a small experiment: I took two strands, I put juice on one and none on the other and let them on a mirror. After letting them for 10 minutes I noticed no visible expansion in the wet one. Very different from the cotton from cotton balls. I wonder what kind of cotton is this...

So this indeed solved my issue, everything is great, thank you all for the good advice and tips that you provided in this thread, had a lot to learn from it :)

Take a piece of yarn about 1-2 inches long, wet your finger tips and twist one side as tight as you can possibly get it. This should make a tightly twisted end piece in the yarn which you can slide or twist through just enough to pull the rest of the yarn through the coil. As long as you get it through the other end, you can even use tweezers to pull the cotton through.

Once you have it through, clip that piece off and trim the other side down. You can water, e-juice/liquid, or just use your tongue - you'll be cutting that piece off anyway.

edit: With cotton and when using 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 etc, you shouldn't need the flavor wicks. I only use cotton through the coil and that's it. I've even went as low as 40/60 PG/VG and never had an issue.

Thanks, will try a few tonight !

jocat54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lindale, Texas
I use cotton balls on my 1/16th micro coil and no flavor wick.
I have found after some experimenting that when I pull the cotton thru the coil that it has to move freely in the coil without much if any resistance. ( Should not just fall out though) I also don't roll the cotton except for the end to get it started in the coil, just kind of mush it into a strand. Get get vapor and flavor with no flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread