Could Mod Be Outputting More Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel K

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2018
as the title says, could my mod "Koopor Primus 300W" Be Outputting more power than shown on the LED Screen?
I am asking this because every time i buy a new coil for my TFV12 Prince, It Burns Out After a day or two, and it's not like I am hitting it every 5 minutes, maybe like 3 times in 30minutes.

Or am I undershooting my "W" it says it is recommended at 60-1XXW and i use it at 55, most of the time.

60VG / 40PG juice in it with 12mg at 55W, and I use another tank the baby beast one, with 18mg at 45W. although the other tank doesn't have this problem, and it is vaped more extensively than the TFV12

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
as the title says, could my mod "Koopor Primus 300W" Be Outputting more power than shown on the LED Screen?
I am asking this because every time i buy a new coil for my TFV12 Prince, It Burns Out After a day or two, and it's not like I am hitting it every 5 minutes, maybe like 3 times in 30minutes.

Or am I undershooting my "W" it says it is recommended at 60-1XXW and i use it at 55, most of the time.

60VG / 40PG Juice in it with 12mg at 55W, and I use another tank the baby beast one, with 18mg at 45W. although the other tank doesn't have this problem, and it is vaped more extensively than the TFV12
In short, yes. SMOK is notorious for poorly made products

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I guess I've just been lucky... I've got quite a few SMOK products, and rarely had a problem... I don't use the drop-in coils, though... only rebuildables here.

However, quality of SMOK products aside, you've not said what eliquid (aside from the VG/PG ratio). Sweeter liquids are prone to toasting coils quickly. You've also not indicated whether you're properly priming the coils before use, and that most definitely shorten the life of the coil.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
  • Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Looking at the objective measurements performed by DJLsb, the Koopor Primus seems to hit its prescribed wattage fairly accurately for most of its operational resistance range. That is not to say your device is flawed or defective in any way - and the only method to determine if you are overshooting your prescribed wattage by a great sum is to measure it.

That said, given you are not experiencing burn out problems with one type of coil leads me to believe the problem is not your device but your choice of coils. There are a lot of coils on the market that are more gimmick than function, and Smok tends to follow the gimmick trend with the majority of their coils! And as @Shawn Hoefer stated, the amount of sweetener in your juice can play a large roll on how long a coil last.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I haven't used factory coils in years, but I used to refurbish them by replacing the cotton and wire. The ones I've used have the coil legs trapped between the rubber insulation and the body of the coil on both the positive and negative sides. If the coil itself isn't burning out the problem may be that the wires aren't fully captured and aren't making good contact. Coils are usually pressed together. You may be able to pull them apart and fix the contact issue.

ETA: Looking at current Smok coils, they have 4 individual coils. I wouldn't tackle those. My old ones from back in 2010 just had one coil and a lot of cotton. Easy to rebuild.

If the wire is burned in two, you could replace the wire and the cotton and give them new life. I'm betting on factory assembly being the problem with marginal connections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The best way to assure quality and to get a spec exactly matched to your requirements is to make it yourself.
Its just cotton and a coiled wire, It's not rocket surgery. So make them yourself.

MNVJxDI.png

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
The best way to assure quality and to get a spec exactly matched to your requirements is to make it yourself.
Its just cotton and a coiled wire, It's not rocket surgery. So make them yourself.

MNVJxDI.png
OMG. I am so stealing that pic

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
well, smok have the worst brand reputation regarding control and assembling quality.... i cant complain about this cuz maybe i have been lucky, never got any problems with the devices from this brand i have used, but i would not tell you get them, pods are the ones that have shown better results and lifespam with me, since most of them were used for a time, sold cheap 2nd handed...

if you wanna booooooost your vaping experience get a rebuildable atomizer, start over with RDA's since they forgive cotton and wicking so much, RTA's will be a bit more tricky when wicking, maybe your smoke mod does not do that bad with a decent RTA or RDA to enjoy and boost flavor, when making your own coils, everything changes!

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread