Could someone explain? (cloudchasing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffPuffersons

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2014
NZ
Been vaping for a while, thought I'd see what the fuss was about finally.

single 28ga kanthal microcoils with cotton in a trident:

Normally Im at 1.5ohms

I did a 0.8ohm build, not much difference

Went down to 0.5, flavour profile changed and its considerably warmer, but not much more vapour at all. Tried all the different airholes.

Messed around with a few dual coil builds, with much the same result.

What am I missing?

Jerrycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Richmond, KY, USA
Are you Mouth to lung inhaling it or straight to lung deep inhaling it? It makes difference.. also "cloud chaser" friendly juice helps too..
For me.. the warmth and the flavor are definitely awesome but being a long time hookah smoker, I missed that mouthfeel of the smoke..again, I speak only for myself, but those big billowy thick white clouds aren't for show, though that really is pretty fun to watch people get all bug eyed, but it's the thick almost creamy texture of the smoke as it passes over the tongue and palette that makes those big storm clouds something I like to strive for.. The thicker bigger clouds of vapor remind me alot of hitting a big open hookah and the feeling of it being almost chewy is so nice.. again for me.... ymmv :D

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Bigger airholes. 2-3mm is not uncommon.

I use fatter resistance wire too - say 5 wraps of 26g kanthal for a decent 0.6Ω on a 2.5mm screwdriver. It heats a little slower and cools slower too - so be careful if you use cotton wick. You don't say what mod or batteries you have, but 24 g is easy to work with too for lower Ω. Just make sure you use good batteries, 30A ones etc etc.

T

Jerrycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Richmond, KY, USA
Yepper! For sure! Agree with SuperTrunker.. I use 26g for my Trident v2 and cotton and it works a treat.. Dry hits are the stuff of nightmares though..hahaha..
Also, took me a while to figure this out but make sure your coils are as close as possible to your airholes and that they have tons of breathing room for the rapid airflow..Having the widest air holes open but not lined up with your coils it will limit vapor production.. beyond the mechanics its literally all about RAPID air flow.. Inhale as hard and fast as you can as long as you can.. then slowly relax and exhale... hopefully that'll help

The thicker bigger clouds of vapor remind me alot of hitting a big open hookah and the feeling of it being almost chewy is so nice.. again for me.... ymmv :D

As a long time hookah smoker who is just getting into vaping, I think you just convinced me to give dripping a shot. Now if you can just recommend a juice that tastes like Tangier's Kashmir Peach I'll be totally set!

Jerrycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Richmond, KY, USA
The k-peach from Tangiers was on of my favorites, and I think getting that complex of a flavor profile might be a serious stretch but not impossible.. That stuff was straight up magic..hahaha. Please let me know if you ever find something superclose to that flavor, cause if it is, it'll definitely end up in my daily rotation. Definitely try and grab a rda and give it a go. It's not very expensive and once you got the setup and technique right, it's VERY similar to a hookah smoke. When everything is right and my battery is fresh, my Trident v2 hits very similar to my Khalill Mamoon, so totally digging it. :vapor:

Last edited:

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
One thing a lot of new builders overlook is wicking. May sure you leave that area between your coil and the airhole unobstructed. I've seem a lot of newer builders block off the airflow to the coil with their cotton clouds. You'll still get flavor that way, because your coil is still vaporizing the juice, but no clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread