Counterfeit protank 3 and coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
Hey guys and gals. I wasn't sure where to post this so figured this was a good place.
I picked up a protank 3 today from a vape shop I found a few block from my apt. I had asked the guy if it was authentic and he honestly said he wasn't sure. He mainly deals in RDA's and doesn't know a lot about tanks. I bought it anyway with his assurance if I had issues to return it.
So I got it home and checked the code. I get an error invalid code when checking. Also the performance was bad. I was thinking the coils didn't seem right. The posts are non existent. Thought maybe it was because they were 2.0ohm and I've been used to 1.5 and 1.6. Anyway I swapped the coil from my pt3 mini and the it vapes real nice. I had him drill out the air holes so its a nice draw.
So just wondering if anyone has seen these coils? I may just keep this and buy new coils. I'm figuring its counterfeit because even the logo doesn't line up.
ujy6apyz.jpg

ypahysan.jpg

bm2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
I have bought a lot of coils from Kanger and none of them have looked like that. I've had some with small posts, but like you said, they're pretty much nonexistent.

My best bet is.. counterfeit.

You could always rebuild those coils to make them perform better. Even if the tank is counterfeit, it probably won't make much of a difference, I have an Aerotank knockoff that performs the same as my regular Aerotank.

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
I have bought a lot of coils from Kanger and none of them have looked like that. I've had some with small posts, but like you said, they're pretty much nonexistent.

My best bet is.. counterfeit.

You could always rebuild those coils to make them perform better. Even if the tank is counterfeit, it probably won't make much of a difference, I have an Aerotank knockoff that performs the same as my regular Aerotank.
Yeah. Kinda what I was thinking. Gonna run it with the 1.5ohm coil and see how it goes. I just wanted it as a backup to my nautilus anyway.
Thanks for the reply.

cadster0103

Jul 31, 2014
lebanon, PA
Yeah I would say counterfeit too. If the scratch off numbers did not produce an authentic result on the site then that is it. The vendor should have known what he was selling. If it would have been me I would have passed but that is just me.... if he is not knowledgeable and not sure of what he is selling then I am not sure I want to buy. It is cool he said you could return it though.

good thing is you can use the those coils and see riptrippers video on how to build the diamond coild with cotton for the pt.

bm2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
I don't own a Protank 3, but didn't they start using coils without wicks with the 3's? Or was it the newer version of protank 2 heads? In either case, I'm quite sure the posts in those are far too short to be authentic and if the number doesn't go through, chances are it's a knockoff. The label lining up, however, doesn't matter. My protank 2 mini is authentic and the label doesn't line up.

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
I don't own a Protank 3, but didn't they start using coils without wicks with the 3's? Or was it the newer version of protank 2 heads? In either case, I'm quite sure the posts in those are far too short to be authentic and if the number doesn't go through, chances are it's a knockoff. The label lining up, however, doesn't matter. My protank 2 mini is authentic and the label doesn't line up.
Yes I believe they have new coils out that look similar to the nautilus coils. These have wicks like the original style but barely any center post. I'm almost positive its counterfeit but its been vaping well and I cant get back down to the shop until Sunday. To be honest don't think I'm going back. I know of better shops to frequent.
Thanks for the heads up on the branding. I didn't know that.

SirLoki

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2014
Vail,AZ,USA
From the looks of it, it may be counterfeit or, more likely a repackaged return with cheap coils replacing the originals.

I agree with the earlier poster that said if the guy doesn't know what he is selling I wouldn't buy from him. If it is a counterfeit it is almost always chinese in origin and may contain hazardous materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread