• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

CTV News asks: How effective are electronic cigarettes in the battle to quit smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tajji'smom

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2012
Southern Ontario
I love the "Just quit cold turkey like I did, you cowardly idiots" comments. Holier-than-thou always comes off sooooooo well, doesn't it? It's like people who crap all over Twitter or Facebook like using them is mandatory or something. Haha.

And how many who quit cold turkey are back smoking in a month?? I know 2 people that quit smoking cold turkey for New Years and are back smoking already. Tough guys that poo poohed ecigs. Sooner or later I will get them over to the dark side. Got my daughter on board, so that's all that matters.

I have to snicker - is all the negative publicity really working in their favour? The more we write positive stories, the more we will attract cigarette smokers wanting to quit.

The moral arc of the universe is long, but it does generally bend toward justice.

Negative publicity certainly has an impact, but most people will trust a friend or family member a lot more than they trust the media (who they don't know personally). And once it's a bloc of friends or family members all saying the same thing while puffing on their eGos, X2s, or VAMOs, it's pretty overwhelming evidence as to who's right.

Our numbers are growing quickly and every exposure we give the public to these says something.

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
I have to snicker - is all the negative publicity really working in their favour? The more we write positive stories, the more we will attract cigarette smokers wanting to quit.

It's becoming one massive "word-of-mouth" recommendation. It's also a testament to the Canadian vaping Community and the growing number of new users.

220px-KinksWordofMouth.jpg

Last edited:

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
I love the quit "quit cold turkey" comments...

My usual conversation with people that quit cold turkey goes as follows:

You quit cold-turkey? That's awsome!
3 months you say! Feel healthier?
You gained 25 pounds! I see...
Tell me how replacing cigarettes with food makes you feel healthier.

:blink:

It's just one habit for another, just like vaping... without the clogged arteries!

guppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
BuzzKilla:8467700 said:
I love the quit "quit cold turkey" comments...

My usual conversation with people that quit cold turkey goes as follows:

You quit cold-turkey? That's awsome!
3 months you say! Feel healthier?
You gained 25 pounds! I see...
Tell me how replacing cigarettes with food makes you feel healthier.

:blink:

It's just one habit for another, just like vaping... without the clogged arteries!

There is some truth to the food part but for me, switching over to vaping has also lead to a bit of weight gain. My taste buds are back and food tastes better just by quitting analogs in general. I say more power to quitting analogs no matter what way you do it.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
There is some truth to the food part but for me, switching over to vaping has also lead to a bit of weight gain. My taste buds are back and food tastes better just by quitting analogs in general. I say more power to quitting analogs no matter what way you do it.

While i see your point.

I have been shunned for my e-cig use, by those who quit "cold turkey".
with the usual "I quit smoking, you are just replacing one habit for another. You didn't quit at all!"
to which I would respond with "replacing smoking with stuffing your face, isn't quitting, it's just replacing lung cancer with a coronary"

i don't take kindly to criticism from hypocrites. :glare:

But i give credit and praise where it is due! If you quit smoking, and are able to do so without replacing the habit. I will congratulate you.

My father is like a light switch, he is able to quit smoking by snapping his fingers. Quit for a few years when my brother and I were born. It's become "something to do" when he runs out of hobbies to occupy his time.
I wish i had inherited his willpower.

guppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
BuzzKilla:8468212 said:

While i see your point.

I have been shunned for my e-cig use, by those who quit "cold turkey".
with the usual "I quit smoking, you are just replacing one habit for another. You didn't quit at all!"
to which I would respond with "replacing smoking with stuffing your face, isn't quitting, it's just replacing lung cancer with a coronary"

i don't take kindly to criticism from hypocrites. :glare:

But i give credit and praise where it is due! If you quit smoking, and are able to do so without replacing the habit. I will congratulate you.

My father is like a light switch, he is able to quit smoking by snapping his fingers. Quit for a few years when my brother and I were born. It's become "something to do" when he runs out of hobbies to occupy his time.
I wish i had inherited his willpower.

Very true. Some people think that just because a few people can quit cold turkey, that means everybody can do it the same way... I hate it especially when a non smoker tells me "just quit cold turkey, look at my uncle, he did it with ease"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread