CVS glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkbeckie88

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
MA, USA
the cvs brand glycerin is the same exact one that i bought. i have no had any sickness or bad effects, it says USP, so i figured it would be fine. i mean its glycerin and water... why would it matter if it was for skincare or anything else? anyways. if there is somethign wrong with this stuff that anyone knows abotu please let us know, because this is what i am using.

garyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
idaho
the cvs brand glycerin is the same exact one that i bought. i have no had any sickness or bad effects, it says USP, so i figured it would be fine. i mean its glycerin and water... why would it matter if it was for skincare or anything else? anyways. if there is somethign wrong with this stuff that anyone knows abotu please let us know, because this is what i am using.
I think this has been covered top to bottom, USP is safe to use. Some people may have an allergic reaction or their body just doesn't like it, hard to say. Some people put it in their hair from what I've heard. I've been mixing my own liquid for a couple of weeks now and I've had no problems whatsoever with the Humco glycerine from walmart except when I'm vaping it I can't see the tv screen after exhaling,lol:w00t:

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
.... and you probably voted democrat.;)

The reason I get my knickers in a twist is that folks will balk at the mere mention of some compound that could be found in the liquid we vape. On one thread in particular the data provided required a Kg to kill a mouse. How many Kgs does it take to kill a human?

What about the formaldehyde we ingested all these years not to mention ammonia and the other 3998 + chemicals and carcinogens for which we have no clue what they did besides walking us closer to our grave.

Yet where folks wouldn't even think twice about a carton of cigs going up $10, bi... about paying an extra dollar for a safer X whatever. Give me a break!

You probably voted Christian. :evil: 8-o :D

We are all choosing to become more aware of what we are ingesting and this makes all the difference...we now have a choice of ingredients here...nic mgs, PG, VG, flavorings, hardware etc. With these choices come an unraveling of taking what someONE says as the absolute truth.

Perhaps a new banner ad for ECF dicussion might be:
It's OK to have your knickers in a knot as long as you know where your PV is.

joeparker54

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2009
MI
I use the Humco glycerine from Walmart. I contacted Humco and they told me this glycerine is vegetable based, here's the MSDS from the Humco site:
http://www.humco.com/assets/pdf/1031-Glycerin.pdf

Just a side note, the label states: Skin soak and Aromatherapy bath.

aro·ma·thera·py (ə rō′mə t̸her′ə pē)

noun

the use of aromatic oils from herbs, flowers, etc. for their supposed therapeutic effects when applied to the skin, as in massage, or when the scent is inhaled

+1 on the humco. This stuff has been a great addition to my liquids so far. I've vaped straight humco (added a little water to thin it) with no ill effects so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think this has been covered top to bottom, USP is safe to use. Some people may have an allergic reaction or their body just doesn't like it, hard to say. Some people put it in their hair from what I've heard. I've been mixing my own liquid for a couple of weeks now and I've had no problems whatsoever with the Humco glycerine from walmart except when I'm vaping it I can't see the tv screen after exhaling,lol:w00t:

I never thought of using it top to bottom...what a great idea. :thumbs:
I also have had a similar problem to your tv screen experience except when I'm vaping it I can't see my computer screen after exhaling. This is turning into a pandemic, lol :w00t: :cool:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Here is my opinion, which I am sure is in direct opposition to the views of the big shots running this forum.

1) VG and PG have in the past been contaminated (court cases failed to prove intentional wrong doing) and has caused grave harm to people.
2) Contaminated VG and PG have been found (and I'm not talking about the stupid FDA test) in products such as counterfeit toothpaste, and mouthwashes, and removed form the market.
3) VG and PG are manufactured in tanker truck sized lots, subdivided, and subdivided and repackaged, and etc.
4) Glycerin CAN BE purely from a vegetable source, animal fat source, and produced synthetically, with ALL the molecules being EXACTLY the same (per the chemistacal experts). Remember that, EXACTLY the same.
5) USP grade is a % requirement with the remainder unknown stuff.
6) Food grade (FCC Food Grade) can only come from USP grade.
7) A manufacturer can state that their Glycerin generally comes from vegetable sources (unless there is a supply issue, then they can substitute synthetic Glycerin, at their discretion). Remember it is EXACTLY the same.
8) If a company that deals with tanker truck size lots would like to save some bucks, would they be more likely to substitute Industrial Grade stuff into a shipment of :
A-Glycerin to be used to rub on cow butts?
B-Glycerin to be used to rub on baby butts?
C-Or Glycerin to be used to make candy and cake icing?
Which has the best chance of going unnoticed?
What, that can't do that, that would be illegal.
What you mean is, they shouldn't do that, again please.

I have tried Glycerin, from a manufacturer that stated "most likely all their Glycerin was from vegetable sources" and got sick to my stomach.
I am terribly sorry, but I won't even go to the feed store and try USP Cow .... Glycerin, even though it is EXACTLY the same. Sorry, the risk of a contaminated lot not intended for consumption, may not get recalled for something that would make it unfit for consumption. Even if it is EXACTLY the same this time, what about next time?

USP, fine, FCC food grade, that's me, Kosher (certified by a reputable and actively monitored organization, not one of those pencil whipping organizations) Certified Vegetable Glycerin is ALL I USE, PERIOD.

Sorry is this upsets anyone that feels differently, but $7 or $8 a pint is not too much for just a little comfort.

For you other folks the upset stomach will pass, don't sweat it because, remember it's
EXACTLY the same.

The Rocketman

You make excellent points! THANK YOU!! Has anyone heard of Toxic Oil Syndrome or Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome caused from contamination? I have... first hand!! What contamination can do to you is far worse than worrying about the 4000 chemicals in cigarettes... it's immediate and can be fatal or at the least disabling and there is no chance to "quit".

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
You probably voted Christian. :evil: 8-o :D

We are all choosing to become more aware of what we are ingesting and this makes all the difference...we now have a choice of ingredients here...nic mgs, PG, VG, flavorings, hardware etc. With these choices come an unraveling of taking what someONE says as the absolute truth.

Perhaps a new banner ad for ECF dicussion might be:
It's OK to have your knickers in a knot as long as you know where your PV is.
What I was trying to explain is that some folks will vape unsafe products just to save a dollar here and a dollar there.

These same folks never baulked at spending the extra on cigs, but chase after the cheapest vaping liquids they can get.

This particular thread should compulsary reading IMHO. Some I am sure have read it, but it is also painfully obvious that some have not.

There are also folks that never batted an eye at the unsafe practice of "smoking" as long as they were getting their nicotine fix. Yet, at the same time they will dissect the components of "whatever". There is absolutely nothing wrong with airing on the side of safety. At the same time there are indeed large unknowns and folks must be able to extrapolate the information, and make an educated opinion on their safety.

Should we take everything said here verbatim "he dble hockey sticks" (because we can't say the word here). There are folks that should be doing nothing more than buy from reputable vendors. That is clearly noticable across the forumS, as they embark on the DIY without having a clue what they are doing, besides saving a buck.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using French Pipe and mixing it with X amount of Black cherry (both from reputable vendors) to render Cherry Pipe. Some of the ingredients involved in "raw" DIY can be dangerous if not well informed or handled incorrectly.

So yeah, I guess I get my knickers in a twist when I see folks flippantly disregarding safety. What really gets me going is how many folks have taken the information verbatim, walked a way, cooked up a batch and made themselves sick? I don't think they would post it if they did.

A little anecdote in closing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the dangers associated with steeping ground up cigaretets, to get a tobacco flavour. Why are these folks vaping again?

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I am a pharmacist and did an informational posting for ECF on this exact topic(Glycerin/PG labeling and purity). Go Here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/52669-pg-vg-labeling-purity-please-read.html

Hope that helps.

P.S. Thanks for the plug Switched

Since you're a pharmacist I'm sure you remember the petroleum company in Japan, Showa Denko, that made rubber bumpers and other petroleum based products. Several years ago they started making a vitamin supplement, l-tryptophan, and sent the bulk product to the US to be made into pill form and sold to the health food industry under various labels. The bottles said "All-Natural, Made in the USA, but it was contaminated. In the US over 1500 people became ill with a disabling disease and 37 died.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Since you're a pharmacist I'm sure you remember the petroleum company in Japan, Showa Denko, that made rubber bumpers and other petroleum based products. Several years ago they started making a vitamin supplement, l-tryptophan, and sent the bulk product to the US to be made into pill form and sold to the health food industry under various labels. The bottles said "All-Natural, Made in the USA, but it was contaminated. In the US over 1500 people became ill with a disabling disease and 37 died.

If you read the thread I linked in my previous post, you'll see that it contains info pertinent to the "health food" industry & why I do not recommend anyone purchasing "health food" products(i.e DSHEA of 1994). It's one of the reasons why I felt compelled to write the thread for ECF. Although with new law passed in 2006 and even newer FDA regs based on this law, hopefully the "health food" industry will start to be reigned in properly and manufacturers of "health food" products won't be able to get away what they have for the past decade and a half.

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I did read it and that's what gave me the courage to make my post. I applaud you for standing up and telling the truth about an industry so many defend because of the profits it stands to lose. The "accident" that happened at the Showa Denko plant can happen anywhere and without regulation the chances of it happening again are something not to take lightly.

If we want the FDA not to regulate/ban e-cigs it stands to reason we need to learn from history and not give them unnecessary ammunition.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
I did read it and that's what gave me the courage to make my post. I applaud you for standing up and telling the truth about an industry so many defend because of the profits it stands to lose. The "accident" that happened at the Showa Denko plant can happen anywhere and without regulation the chances of it happening again are something not to take lightly.

If we want the FDA not to regulate/ban e-cigs it stands to reason we need to learn from history and not give them unnecessary ammunition.

I couldn't agree more. I'm anxiously waiting for the e-cig/eliquid industry to come to some type of voluntary set of self-imposed pre-marketing testing and manufacturing standards similar to FDA cGMP(current good manufacturing practices). With these self-imposed standards already in place, it would be much more difficult for the FDA, or any other government regulatory entity, to take a hard-line "banning" stance. It would also allow the industry to take it's first steps toward true legal legitimacy in the eyes of the government and consumer market in general.

dwarf_t0ssr

Jan 5, 2012
Flo-duh
As much as I abhor necroposting, for the purposes of google searches (CVS glycerin is vegetable glycerin) I just wanted to chime in and say that CVS USP glycerin has not affected me negatively in any way, shape, or form, and as others have stated in this thread, is in fact as pure of a source of VG as you are gonna find anywhere else for more money.

Switched and markarich159, you rock.

Have been using CVS glycerin to cut 24 mg down to 16 mg for months now. Saying it is a hand lotion makes about as much sense as saying that you can't drink water out of the bathroom sink because it came from the bathroom.

I do this because a google search led me straight to the OP "zomg I got so sick from CVS brand", and felt the need to further clarify that such is nonsense for those without a paranoid mindset or sensitivity to VG...or whatever. Disinformation should be strongly discouraged.

KumariHPX

ECF Veteran
What amazes me the most is the frugality I see sometimes, where folks are trying to find the cheapest (but safest product) but never batted an eye or gave a second thought what they were spending on analogs, or when taxes on them increased.

Hmmmm, I don't know who those people are, or why they would suddenly become penny-pinchers now out-of-the-blue. I certainly am not one of those people, though, because I was frugal then and I am frugal now, and I always will be.

I always batted an eye at the high prices. So much so that I bought the cheapest (while safe) coffin nails I could find. I even drove to another state more than once to get them - that's more than giving a second-thought. I'm pretty sure.

Who are these people who obliviously threw money away, burned it up in smoke, when it came to their tobacco nicotine addiction and now are vaporizing nicotine - or have quit nicotine altogether - and now they are what? Saving money?

Come to think of it, when addiction isn't an issue, seems like you can make more rational choices about how to spend your money. It makes sense that a person wouldn't want to waste another single penny, since they've spent... what? Maybe $60,000 already on this single addiction?

KumariHPX

ECF Veteran
Also, everyone using CVS Glycerin should know that the webpage (I followed from the OP's link) says under the Warning tab "For external use only."

I'm not saying that means it's impure, not USP or 100% whatever, or that it's a skin product - since it's a substance, like water, which has thousands of uses. Since I don't care to go that deeply into researching what makes good glycerin, I'll just go by the label and choose something else for internal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread