CVS Organic Cotton Balls bad taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

krewblink

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
California
I just did a micro rebuild on my kanger protank 2 heads, everyone was saying how wonderful cotton was, but it taste like crap! Doesnt not taste like my juice at all with a silica wick, getting a laundry,sour,shampoo taste.... Anyone have anything on this? im going to try boiling but i think im just gonna buy silica instead.

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I use CVS organic cotton balls and have never boiled them. Here's how I make my wicks.
276844d1385479324t-nicoticket-family-virtual-vapemeet-eliquid-support-group-v-2-0-2.jpg
276852d1385479939t-nicoticket-family-virtual-vapemeet-eliquid-support-group-v-2-0-3.jpg

Sonic Tooth

Jul 30, 2013
NY
I will also recommend boiling the wick as it does seem to get rid of a soapy sort of flavor, that said I don't visually see any crud, although maybe it's because I use lots of water and boil for 20 minutes several times in a row.

Also worth trying (I think) are the cotton pads instead of the balls. I use the fluffy inner part, not the cloth-like outside portion, after the aforementioned boiling. I started using them because I thought they may use less or no sizing as opposed to the cotton balls.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I've used a lot of different wicking mediums. I've found the taste provided by sterile rolled cotton and organic cotton balls to be clean, without unwanted flavors, and without muting any flavor notes. I also really enjoy German silica, Ekowool, and XC-116. Overall, the difference in flavor between all is subtle and they are all great at representing flavor.

As has been mentioned, the key to cotton is that less is more. Very, very little cotton is needed, as it expands when wet, and holds a lot of juice. Wash hands before rolling a cotton wick to avoid oils in fingers effecting flavor, but if it does it goes away fairly quick. I haven't found any need to boil the CVS sterile rolled or organic cotton balls I've used. Some do, and I've heard mixed results, but many find it perfectly fine without boiling.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
once you see the crud that comes off when you boil (3 times) you will never use unboiled again

You will not get Crud of sterile cotton balls, though you might get a lot of loose strands floating around.

Op, possible hand lotion or some other contaminant while preparing the coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread