RDA Dangers of Dual Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drazinus

Jan 28, 2015
Bridgewater, MA
So I recently got my first rda, a Tobh Atty v2. I've been messing with different coils and gauges but tonight built my first dual coil. And it's AMAZING! I get such a full hit, vape and flavor-wise. I recall being told by an electronic engineer(he is head of CAD at a company that builds power supplies) that there's a slight danger with dual coil builds in that if one coil fails or pops, all that power will go through the other coil, causing the battery to pretty much explode. I guess I'm just asking how possible that is? It's firing at .5ohm and I haveit on my ipv Mini set to 27w, dishing out 3.9v.

ninfreak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
burkesville, kentucky
an electrical engineer that doesn't even know basic electrical knowledge......scary thought indeed. think you need to tell him to go back to school.

it is common sense that tells you if you have 2 things that are powered by 1 battery and take 1 of those things away, power consumption is cut in half. I think we learned how to do that kind of math in first grade

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
maybe his friend was thinking parallel coils and not series. if you have two parallel that equaled 0.5ohms and one strand failed, wouldnt the resulting be 0.25ohms? and on a mech mod would be kinda dangerous and will make batteries explode if they cant handle the amp draw (current) which increases when a coil in parallel fails.

its not always true (or common sense rather), that if 2 things are powered by one battery and you take 1 away, power consumption is cut in half. If you put two lightbulbs in parallel, you will have 2 dim light bulbs. Take one bulb away and then the other lightbulb gets brighter because it is receiving more power, because it is not having to share the power to light the disconnected bulb anymore. There are not boards in everything to regulate the power output of the battery fyi. if a battery is set to give 4.2Volts it will produce 4.2V to whatever you connect to it. With a drop in resistance due to a parallel circuit fail, the power is doubled and the Current (amp draw) is increased exponentially making the entire circuit more unstable. Dont know where you got the whole 'common knowledge' type deal, cuz that is completely dead wrong.

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Your friend does not comprehend the dual coils in parallel that are used on a RDA. It's actually a safer scenario if a single coil of a dual set-up "pops". With the amp draw cut in half, your PV is running more efficient.

dont you mean series? or maybe i got them mixed up. ....s so confusing, cuz the RDA as an entirety is a parallel, but then im thinking about 'parallel single coils'. RDA are forced parallel connections with 3 posts. I think his friend just doesnt fully understand that and is thinking like an engineer not a vaper, regardless what your friend says is solid yet misinformed, because his applications are in electrical engineering in which he is correct, but yeah he doesnt understand that that most RDA are 'forced' parallel circuits. I'm taking my physics and beginning electrical engineering classes and just found that comment up there with someone telling that engineer to go 'back to school' rude and uncalled for, because his friend is correct with his statement that it can be dangerous iin other applications, just not in the case of forced parallel circuit RDA, which is just a topic he is most likely not well-informed in. them quad coils tho...

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
You're using a regulated device with a host of safety features, so one way or the other your IPV will adjust itself accordingly if your resistance changes (and refuse to fire if your coils nefariously make themselves dangerous).

Last time I checked, mech mods do not have a host of safety features.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
dont you mean series? or maybe i got them mixed up. ....s so confusing, cuz the RDA as an entirety is a parallel, but then im thinking about 'parallel single coils'. RDA are forced parallel connections with 3 posts. I think his friend just doesnt fully understand that and is thinking like an engineer not a vaper, regardless what your friend says is solid yet misinformed, because his applications are in electrical engineering in which he is correct, but yeah he doesnt understand that that most RDA are 'forced' parallel circuits. I'm taking my physics and beginning electrical engineering classes and just found that comment up there with someone telling that engineer to go 'back to school' rude and uncalled for, because his friend is correct with his statement that it can be dangerous iin other applications, just not in the case of forced parallel circuit RDA, which is just a topic he is most likely not well-informed in. them quad coils tho...

You are talking about completely different things that don't have anything to do with each other. "Series" and "Parallel" are how the batteries are wired. Wiring in series allows for higher output power, and wiring in parallel doubles the milliamp hours (mAH).

There is no such thing as an RDA with "forced parallel connections". You have to set your coils up horizontally; dual coils can be parallel to each other, but that doesn't mean anything; that is just how they are placed in the RDA.

When they say parallel coils, they either mean a single coil made up of two wires that are parallel to each other, or that both coils are parallel to each other.

"Forced parallel circuits" are something you made up, considering RDA's aren't circuits. They complete a circuit using a coil, but they are only a part of a circuit; not a circuit by themselves.

Please be informed with correct information, or don't try advising others until you are; this post probably did more harm to someone reading it than good.

_____

Anyways, if one of the coils came out somehow or whatever he says "popping" is, it is true that the power that you have it set at will go through the other coil; however, the resistance will also double, meaning the voltage should drop roughly in half if I am not mistaken.

Your battery would be fine. Unless he is talking about when a coil shorts, which wouldn't cause the power to go to the other coil, and that could screw your battery if you're firing it with a short (i don't believe regulated mods allow this though, could be wrong)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread