Dear Vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Please let your US customers know about an opportunity to be heard by the general public. The TV show, The Doctors, featured e-cigarettes in a positive light back in 2009. Now, they are asking former smokers to share their "best tips and tricks to quitting cigarettes and staying off for good."

Tell Us Your Story

You, of course, do not need to (and probably should not) use the word "quitting" in getting the word out to your customers. You can suggest that they share their story about how they used e-cigarettes to replace some or all of their smoked cigarettes. This is a scientifically accurate description of what occurred and is not a health claim.

Imagine the impact that show might have if they talk about receiving thousands of reponses talking about the advantages of switching to e-cigarettes.

Elaine Keller, Vice President
The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association
Casaa.org - Harm Reduction

Dark Jester

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Reno, NV
Submitted my story/opinions (book, heh):

My best tip would be for current smokers to check out Electronic Cigarettes (E-Cigs). I would also advise users to not fall for the cheap versions available in gas stations, flea markets, and mall kiosk's. Visit E-Cigarette Forum - ECF to do some research and get recommendations on hardware and juice from some of the many thousands of forum members there who have successfully quit tobacco using E-Cigs.

I was a pack-a-day smoker for 17 years. I ordered an E-Cig starter kit last week, received my kit on Thursday 9/22/2011 at 1 PM, and have not smoked a single tobacco cigarette since. I have not had any serious 'cravings' since starting, and quite honestly quitting tobacco has never been this easy.

With all of the juice flavors available out there, everyone is sure to find something that they like with some searching. And most juice flavors can be found at varying nicotine strengths for users to customize the juice to what their body is currently used to on tobacco cigarettes. Dialing in these 2 variables will (in my limited experience) pretty much guarantee a successful quit with no anxiety and no cravings for tobacco. I personally started vaporizing with 18mg/ml juice, and found that to be a little weak for me. I still had some minor cravings. I moved to 24mg/ml nicotine juice and immediately those cravings stopped and have not come back.

After some time for my body to adjust to getting away from tobacco, I plan to gradually step down the nicotine levels in the juice I am vaporizing to wean myself off of that as well. Flavored juice with no nicotine is also available.

Also in addition to getting off the tobacco smoke and the health benefits from that, are the dollars that can be saved by making the switch. Initial investment can cost less than a 2 weeks' supply of cigarettes for a pack-a-day smoker. Monthly maintenance costs (buying juice and disposable parts) can be 75% (or more) under what smokers currently pay for tobacco cigarettes. DIY-Type users can also create their own flavored juices for as little as 15 cents per day. Against a pack of cigarettes that can cost more than $10 in some places in the country, the savings potential is quite evident. I personally spent approximately $2,400 in the past 12 months on tobacco cigarettes. Once I am fully running on making my own juice, I anticipate a yearly maintenance cost of less than $250. That's more than $2,000 annually that I will be saving if I were to continue indefinately. Even more in future years if cigarette taxes continue to be increased as they have been.

I personally can't say enough good things about E-Cigs. They have given me a hope to be free of tobacco where previously there was very little.

I do think it is a shame that the FDA and our Government will not allow them to be marketed commercially as 'smoking cessation' products. I actually fear Government involvement in any part of this industry though, because while 'regulation' can be a good thing in itself as far as product safety, it rarely (never?) stays at simple regulation. Once regulation hits, "Big Pharmacy" gets involved and would likely push to shut down every one of the hundreds of internet based and local business that this industry has created. User costs will go up as a result. The Government will likely start taxing the nicotine juice just as they currently tax cigarettes. The lost cigarette tax revenue of a massive amount of people giving up tobacco completely in a short time would leave an even bigger hole in the current federal budget than already exists today. I'm fairly positive the Government would look to rectify that with new taxes elsewhere. Likely on E-Cigs themselves wherever possible.

I would like to see some large studies done though to confirm the relative safety of this product compared to tobacco cigarettes. Currently there is very little research in the industry, and while it is generally believed by all involved to be 'safe', nobody can actually prove it yet. Nicotine in and of itself is a relatively harmless drug aside from the addictive properties. The flavoring extracts and such used in the juices are mostly on the FDA's "GRAS" (Generally Recognized As Safe) list. But they have only been tested for ingestion, not inhalation. The primary bulk of the Juice mixture is comprised of Propylene Glycol, or Vegetable Glycerine (or a combination). Both of which are already heavily used in many industries include food service. But like the flavorings, long term studies have not been conducted yet on inhalation safety.

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks for taking the time to hear my opinions. :) I've only been researching this stuff myself for about a week now and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface. I truely believe that E-Cigs are the future of getting the millions of americans who smoke away from Tobacco for good. I just hope they don't someday get buried by Government Regulation or special interest groups' financial interests.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread