debit card fraud...ive been got

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
got a call from my bank today from the fraud protection department. someone used/tried using my card number at a bed and breakfast in pennsylvaina and also on match.com...after telling them I didn't authorize, they cancelled my card and are refunding the transactions that went through. I have only used that card for walmart, gas station, paypal, and online ecig products. thx to my bank that they are on top of my money :)

iceman68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I've been reading a lot of threads here about CC fraud. My card was hacked too. One tip I read made a lot of sense: Don't EVER use your debit card for online purchases. If scammers get hold of your info they can clean out your bank account. At least with regular CC's there is usually fraud protection and they aren't linked to your bank account like debit cards.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I use "ShopSafe" which is a virtual CC number I get from a link on my regular BOA CC account page. It's a 'one vendor only' number although you can use it as much as you want with the same vendor. You set an upper $ limit (which can be adjusted) and an expiration date up to 12 months. It works just like any other CC but you don't use your 'real' CC number for transactions.

And it's free.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
don't see where u can get a virtual cc# at
Another nice thing about "ShopSafe" is you control the virtual number just like the CC company does your main card.
This means if you detect an attempt to use the virtual number YOU can cancel the number and it doesn't affect your main card and you can continue using it.

"ShopSafe" rocks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread