• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Debit card skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackstraw

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2012
Out West
Skimming is when a merchant (or some bad guy at a merchant) puts a device onto the card scanner to read the card twice. Once for the transaction, a second time for stealing the data.

I have one credit / debit card I only use for work. It's basically my car allowance money for my sales job. I'll use it about 15 times per month for gas, and about once a month at a vape store for coils or something.

In skimming, I know what to look for to prevent it at a gas station where I put the card in myself. I've been hit with fraud before and I researched how it works and what to look for. I'm quite sure it didn't happen at a gas staion as I always look for the extra device. When you hand your card to a merchant who swipes it for you then asks you to punch in your ID on a separate keypad is where it can happen. Most places that do this to you don't make the fraudulent cards for themselves, they sell the data to the bad guy who steals from you.

I was hit on this card where all my transactions were in Phoenix, and the theif was trying to use my identity and card in Phoenix. It was a local deal.

So in reviewing my card transaction on line there were 3 vape shops I went to in the last 2-3 months. It's got to be one of them.

Just an FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread