Deep Cleaning Cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

blight231

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2011
Oregon
I have a large collection of prefilled cartos that i've used. They are of a ton of different varieties and have never been "topped off" I have about 5 bottles of juice from 2 vendors. I used the cola juice with the cola cartos and it worked great but I want to use say cola with a waffle cart. To my knowledge if you clean them well enough this can be done right ? Can somebody point me in the right direction ? I saw one of snowdragons but it didnt seem adequate enough as he stated himself becuase it was the same flavor and the same cartomizer. Also i have Vg and wow juices , can I intermingle my cartomizers say vg juice with a wow or coolcart or vice versa ? Any help would be great or let me know if it cant be done. Videos are great. Thanks again

IMG_20110625_174045.jpg

Attachments

• cartos.jpg
    cartos.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 8

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
(1) First off, that is not a "large collection." Trust me.:facepalm: [Looks at own collection, shudders]
(2) The answer to both of your bolded questions is "YES"; but if changing flavors, the carto needs to be really clean.
(3) After much research and pondering (and procrastinating) on this subject, I have finally decided to use the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner technique. (Someone 'puter literate please find and post link to the threads on that from ECF!) I'll be using vodka on first cycle, and hot water on 2nd/3rd cycles.
(4) SnowDragon should be along before too long to give you oodles of info, and even better, oodles of video links!

Good luck!! (To both of us!:laugh:)

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
I hope this reply is acceptable in the V4L forum, but I use only V4L juice with Notcigs Buzz PV mods and Ikenvape mega 808 cartos. I no longer try to clean used cartos. The Ikernvape megas can vape about 90 drops before performance falls off. The Buzz offers supreme vapor production and TH even better than PT's can.

V4L juices are awesomely great, and I buy from them my juice exclusively. I quit smoking using V4L stuff, but have settled in with a VV mod and the Ikenvape megas. The Ikenvapes can last for 3 days topping off with V4L juice. I've done the cleaning thing, but it's more work than it's worth IMO. I vape heavilly as a former 3 PAD, and it costs about 1.25 a day, if that much. When my carto performance falls off, I just toss it and fill a new one.

I do however keep a solid supply of V4L preloaded cartos in case.... and they have gotten me through times when my other suppliers might have run low on stock.

Darrigaaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Some flavors are really easy to get out, others (Nuport) are not so easy. Running hot tap water through them for a while helps, but a vodka soak overnight gets rid of most flavors (and kills all the bacteria that might be inside). It took 3 days of soaking in vodka to get rid of some really hard to remove flavors.

I would advise against boiling cartos, for the simple reason that it shrinks the filler material, and thus holds less and less liquid, but it does work to get the carto filler really clean and white looking.

Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner is not a must buy, but it'll help clean a lot of the loose buildup inside the carto. Unfortunately, it doesn't remove the baked on juice in the coil. I'm still experimenting with finding a good solution to use in the ultrasonic cleaner to try to dissolve the caked on juice residue, and it's proving harder than I originally thought to find an acid strong enough to remove it, but not hurt the filler material. I'm going to try vinegar next, but am hesitating because of the thought of vaping any leftover vinegar makes me want to hurl. Soaking in a cup of cola might work, but I'm thinking that if I don't get all the sugars out, it'll just make the problem worse.

Cartos, when properly taken care of, will last a lot longer than people think. But it's a tradeoff with how much work you want to put into cleaning them. Always remember to never put anything in the carto that might be hazardous to your health if accidentally vaped. This includes isopropyl alcohol, dishwashing soap, or bleach. I've got cartos that I'm still vaping that have come from 2009. But because of advances in carto tech, I've begun just throwing them away instead of continuing my cleaning routines...

How dry do you all actually manage to get your cartos after cleaning them? I've tried the spin, low-temp oven bake, and of course good old fashioned blowing. :blush: I always end up with water even after days of drying. Am I missing something? Or is this just another fabulous side effect of the humid climate around here?

just buy new cartos when they are finished. much easier. they dont cost that much and much more satisfying.

Cost is relative though. For me, even with the drying issues, cleaning and reusing old cartos has kept me from making several more orders than I otherwise would have, freeing up cash for the ever important and ever present bills

blight231

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2011
Oregon
just buy new cartos when they are finished. much easier. they dont cost that much and much more satisfying.

I disagree, it runs about 1.50 for a new carto ( figure 8.00 f0r 5 ) and a bottle of juice is around 9.00 for 30ml, I can fill 50 carts with that you figure 9 / 50 comes out to .18 a cart with that formula thats one tenth of the cost of getting a new cart everytime I run empty. Buying a cart could be 10 times as expensive and im sure there IS STILL A CHEAPER WAY ! So I think this topic is extremely important. Especially for us poor folk :(

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I only clean mine once I get 30-40 dirty. Seems lengthy but works.

Here's what I do:

1. Remove mouthpieces and rinse under hot water. Don't boil them or melting WILL happen.

2. Rinse carto's in hot water allowing the water to fill the fibers.

3. Sling out the water and repeat it. Sling again.

4. Place cartos in boiling water for 15 minutes.

5. When done, rinse and sling.

6. Repeat the boil for another 15 minutes.

7. Rinse and sling.

8. Load them into an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner with vodka or everclear.

9. Cycle twice.

10. Rinse and sling.

11. Load into ultra sonic jewelry cleaner with plain water and cycle 2 times.

12. Rinse and sling.

13. Load into food dehydrator with top circulating fan. Set it on high and leave run for 12 hours.

They come out sparkling clean and any dark juices is completely removed. Odors are gone as well.

Darrigaaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
New Mexico, USA
How dry do you all actually manage to get your cartos after cleaning them? I've tried the spin, low-temp oven bake, and of course good old fashioned blowing. :blush: I always end up with water even after days of drying. Am I missing something? Or is this just another fabulous side effect of the humid climate around here?

I blow through the mouthpiece end until no more moisture comes out, then I attach them to the grill in my fan. I leave them there for about a day, and they are bone dry. I do live in a desert though, where the relative humidity is usually around 2-3%. Putting them into the oven at 220 degrees should work well, since water boils at 212 and that's not hot enough to do any damage to the cartos, but I do not like leaving my oven on for very long unattended.

I have a friend who has a food dehydrator that she uses to make beef jerky. She said that putting her cartos in there works great if you leave it on for a day.

krashnash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Austin, TX
I just wrote this up in an email for my sister - here's my method:

1) Pop off the white cap at the mouth end. I use the metal part of a binder clip that I took apart, but you can use a paper clip or a fork, or the curved end of a metal nail file, or a small crochet hook - basically any tool with a little hook at the end. Make sure it doesn't go too far into the carto, or you can hook the metal wire and kill it.

2) Run the carto under hot water for 20-30 seconds to flush some of the flavoring out.

3) Once you have several of them rinsed, plop them into a pan of boiling water. I use a metal strainer thingie to keep them off the bottom of the pan.

4) Boil for about 15 minutes, then let them cool long enough to handle them.

5) Use a turkey baster with a rubber pencil grip attached to the end or a baby medicine syringe with the white bottle stopper thingie on it (basically anything that will push the water in and out of the carto) and flush them with hot water for about 30 seconds each - I usually run the water through them until it comes out clear.

6) *Optional* soak them in alcohol for about 15 minutes - this can be any alcohol that is safe to consume and has a high alcohol content. I use Everclear. This step is only necessary if you are planning to use one that contained strong flavor for a completely different flavor (like switching from Peppermint to Peach or something). If you keep to the same flavor-family (mint to mint, fruit to fruit, dessert to dessert, tobacco to tobacco, etc) then you can skip this step entirely.

7) Blow through the battery end of the carto to get some of the water out.

8) Put the battery end into the spinner thingie and whirl it around for about 30 seconds. Either put one of the rubber condoms back on the carto or do this outside. This gets most of the water out. Many people have success with refilling directly after this step.

9) Personally, I think there's still too much water in the polyfill at this point, so I either sit them mouth-end up and let them dry for 24-48 hours, or pop them in a low-temperature oven (200 degrees or so) for about an hour before refilling.

10) Refill using the drip technique (like in Snow's video without the audio). Just drip about 6 drops around in a circle (holding the carto at about 45 degree angle), let it soak in, then drip 2-3 drops at a time until they soak in. The cartos will hold ~25 drops. If you get leaking out of the bottom before you hit 20 drops, then there's probably a burn hole in the wick tube, and you probably need to toss the carto, as it won't vape as well and may leak.

11) The cartos can be refilled several times before they need to be cleaned, as long as you quit puffing on them before you get a burned taste. General rule of thumb: the carto will probably need to be re-filled around the same time as the regular length battery dies (3 hours or so of consistent use). If you keep some juice on hand and remember, you can top them off every couple of hours and keep them going for a LONG time. Clean only when they get hard to draw on or start to taste funny.

12) If you really want to replace more cigarettes with vaping, go up a notch or two in the nicotine level. 18mg - 24mg is probably a good starting point for someone smoking over a pack a day. Keeping some 36mg on hand and pulling it out when a craving hits is a good idea also. When I got serious about quitting I went to 24mg for 3 or 4 weeks before dropping to 18mg (mainly because I was vaping so much that 24mg was too strong for me). Dave is still using 24mg, and has no intention of stepping down anytime soon (but he doesn't use his battery for a pacifier like I do). I keep 24mg around and use it in the mornings sometimes, or when I know I won't be able to stop to puff for a while.

13) Another tip for cutting back - when you start craving a cigarette, take 10-15 minutes to do nothing but vape. Then wait 5 minutes or so and see if you still want a cigarette. If you do, then have one... You'll likely find that you don't want more than one, and may not want one at all. Cigarettes have a pretty much instant effect - thanks to all of the carriers that cause the nicotine to freebase and become immediately available to the bloodstream, such as formaldehyde (!). E-liquid has none of that, so it takes a bit longer to get the nicotine's effect. Try holding the vapor in your mouth longer before inhaling, since it is believed that the nicotine in the vapor is primarily absorbed by the soft tissue in your mouth, nose and throat rather than by your lungs.

Hope this helps!

~krashnash

LeslieT

Jun 17, 2011
South OC, CA
5) Use a turkey baster with a rubber pencil grip attached to the end or a baby medicine syringe with the white bottle stopper thingie on it (basically anything that will push the water in and out of the carto) and flush them with hot water for about 30 seconds each - I usually run the water through them until it comes out clear.

What is a rubber pencil grip?

8) Put the battery end into the spinner thingie and whirl it around for about 30 seconds. Either put one of the rubber condoms back on the carto or do this outside. This gets most of the water out. Many people have success with refilling directly after this step.

What is the spinner thingie?

I've only been vaping for about 2 weeks and am trying to figure out how to clean the cartos I have...

Thanks!

krashnash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorry - wrote the instructions for my sister, after I gave her a rubber pencil grip and a spinner thingie. :) A rubber pencil grip is found in the stationary/school supply aisle of any discount or drug store. It's just a little rubber tube about an inch and a half long, made to stretch and fit around a pencil. Looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bazic-Squishy-Pencil-Assorted-Shapes/dp/B002WFI60M
I push one on to the end of a turkey baster, the carto fits snugly in the other end. I also made a "taryn spinner" out of one by threading a large needle with thick string and running it through the pencil gripper...

You would be best served to watch Snow Dragon's videos, they explain much better than I can. Here are the links I gave to my sister, which may help clarify:

Good info - cleaning is about 7 minutes in, but I'd recommend watching the rest as well:
YouTube - ‪Vapor4life Tips, Tricks & Fixes for Cartomizers‬‏

Another method - this is closer to how I do it:
YouTube - ‪How to clean cartos‬‏

One more - this is actually the way I started doing it, but I found that spinning it was a much better way to get the water out and get it mostly dry:
YouTube - ‪KR808D-1 Carto Cleaning: Quick-n-Easy.‬‏

Refilling - this is pretty much how I do it:
YouTube - ‪TeamKR808's Channel‬‏

All of SnowDragon's videos are worth watching - you can find them here:
YouTube - ‪TeamKR808's Channel‬‏

Hope this helps!
~krashnash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread