Deox it

Status
Not open for further replies.

POTENTCITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
NYC
ok so I been having battery problems with my lp reo grand - I been using sony vtc4 batterys and they seem to move around a lot and cause voltage drops - real weak vape . so I received my AW 18650 1600mah battery today the reos mod recommends that we use and I also picked up some DEOXIT to spray on battery . I want to spray my new aw 18650 battery before using it do I just spray it once and let it dry and just vape away? or do ya spray fire it then spray again ? thanks

POTENTCITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
NYC
If your Reo has the new contacts then you really don't need the deoxit.

all LP models of reos come with the new upgraded kit to sub ohm - I sub ohm at .2 dual coils and im guessing my pin is taking a beating. well I just cleaned the fire pin with alcohol and q tip and spray some deox it on my sony vtc4 and its working great - I have yet to get a weak vape. Reos mod themselves recommended I use deoxit on my battery when sub ohming daily at .2

POTENTCITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
NYC
Not sure about the spray, I use Ox-Gard on my grand. I get sparking with my Panasonic CGR's running a .79Ω dual coil. I just apply it directly to the firing pin and when I do a battery change I wipe off any on top of the battery and re-apply it to the fresh battery.

yea this spray is a little harder to use - first battery I just sprayed I think I over sprayed it lol it comes out strong and fast :facepalm:
so far so good all day I was getting weak vapes every couple of vapes I would have to move my sony vtc battery around to get a strong good vape again right now so far so good its vaping strong . Havent tried the AW 18650 1600 mah battery REOS MOD recommends we use yet I will spray it once done charging and load it up .
I heard the arching/spark is normal in all reos nothing we can do but try to reduce it.

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
I applied a coating to the pin and regularly apply a thin coating to the batteries after they are charged and resting before they come back into the rotation.

The AW IMR 1600mAh 18650 is rated for 24A max discharge but I would not recommend running the .20Ω build on that battery even though that is only a 21A discharge at a fresh off the charger 4.2V. Giving your batteries a buffer against their max discharge rate is safer for you and can also ensure your batteries will last longer (total lifespan not time between charges.)

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
yea this spray is a little harder to use - first battery I just sprayed I think I over sprayed it lol it comes out strong and fast :facepalm:

I've been recommending DeOxit Gold for PVs for years
The spray is very wasteful, you'll be out soon enough
Then get this:
Amazon.com: DeoxIT® GOLD Pen (NSN-6850-01-477-1478) 100% solution 6 mL: Electronics
I've been using the same DeOxit Gold pen for years and I don't think I've even put a dent in it
It fixes battery connectivity problems before they even occur

Last edited:

POTENTCITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
NYC
I applied a coating to the pin and regularly apply a thin coating to the batteries after they are charged and resting before they come back into the rotation.

The AW IMR 1600mAh 18650 is rated for 24A max discharge but I would not recommend running the .20Ω build on that battery even though that is only a 21A discharge at a fresh off the charger 4.2V. Giving your batteries a buffer against their max discharge rate is safer for you and can also ensure your batteries will last longer (total lifespan not time between charges.)

you recommend this for the life of the battery you saying right? I know the reo isn't going to short so im not worried about that part .

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
you recommend this for the life of the battery you saying right? I know the reo isn't going to short so im not worried about that part .

Thermal runaway should also be on your radar. Vape Safe, but the VTC4 or VTC5 are much better suited to be used with the setup you are running.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
I know the reo isn't going to short so im not worried about that part .

The REOs not going to short
But your coils are almost a dead short ".2 ohm dual coils"
You need batteries that can safely handle your normal vape
You ARE at the low end of "Sub-Ohm" vaping

The Sony TC4 2100mAh and TC5 2600mAh are rated at 30amp
They will give you some breathing room

Last edited:

POTENTCITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
NYC
Thermal runaway should also be on your radar. Vape Safe, but the VTC4 or VTC5 are much better suited to be used with the setup you are running.

The REOs not going to short
But your coils are almost a dead short ".2 ohm dual coils"
You need batteries that can safely handle your normal vape
You ARE at the low end of "Sub-Ohm" vaping

The Sony TC4 2100mAh and TC5 2600mAh are rated at 30amp
They will give you some breathing room

the sonys just aint doing it for me for some reason , thats vapes dont feel right . i will bring my coils up to .4 and try both batterys again.. how do ya clean the positive of ya batterys?

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
I understand that you feel the AW IMRs "hit harder" it was why I tended to use them over my VTC4s. Once I started using 24 and 22ga wire though and my coils would float around 0.16-0.20Ω I knew that I needed to use a battery rated for more than 24A to feel comfortable putting next to my face.

The AW IMRs are excellent batteries and what I was trying to tell you in our PMs is that if you use them I (personally) would not go below 0.25Ω.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread