Some battery talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Alright so, the suggested battery for the Reo Grand, is the AW IMR 18650 1600mah version, yes?

OK well, leading with the notion that I KNOW the suggested battery is the lovely AW IMR 18650 1600mah version, I have a different battery to suggest to you all.

IMR 18650, LiMn 2250mAh Battery, Button Top
    (I got mine somewhere else, but they no longer have them, and this is where I found them in stock with a google search)

After some research, turns out this battery is the same as a Panasonic 18650.. I believe the CGR18650CH(there is a thread somewhere in the APV forum), which gives this a 10amp capacity.

10amps. Not that high you say right? Well, you can run a .5ohm coil with room to spare(8.4amps) on a 10amp load battery, so unless you have modded your Reo to go real low, this battery is a good fit.

Notice the Bold?

This battery, is a hair thicker than an AW IMR, and a bit longer. My Nemesis is a mod which has a snug fit for batterys, this won't fit in the nemesis at all. And its a little longer.. just a bit, but its there.

Now.. why is this good for my Reo LP, and why do I suggest it to you all?

Being a little bit longer than the AW IMR, AND being a button/nipple top like the AW IMR.. it fits the Reo battery slot a little bit snugger. It makes contact with the firing pin just a little bit better. Listen it could be anecdotal only, but I feel like the mod fires easier and more consistently with these batteries than with my AW IMR 18650 1600mah version. I feel like that slightly snugger fit keeps the battery exactly in place, and that slightly longer length gives that little bit easier firing of the button.

Another plus, is 2250mah.

Im running much higher than I usually do.. .8ohm. IDK how these will do when they're using they're whole amp draw, but at .8ohm, these batterys stay above 3.7v for a long time. I changed one out this morning, thinking it had to be time to change it, and it was still 3.9v.

Im not saying DONT use AW IMR batteries. Theyre great batteries, through and through. I happen to have these already, so I thought ID try them out, and I noticed the mod seemed to fire a little bit easier. And I DO notice they last a long time, thats for sure.

Just thought ID throw some info to the Reoville Town Bulletin Board.. If you don't like my flyer, all good.. stick a yard sale flyer over it and call it a day :)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    It's not bad, but for about the same $ you can get the PD2900 from Orbtronics, which is another rebadged Panny with free shipping. Again a 10A battery but with more mAh.

I'm not sure about the "better fit" part of your post since Rob has said in the past that a Reo grand was designed with an AW 18650 1600 in mind, but they will work for sure.

With the new sub-ohm kits soon out, it may well be possible to plumb new depths of lunacy, but for that you will definitely need 30A batteries.

T

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Hmm.

I didnt see the EH or the Panny CGR on the dropdown menu.. maybe Im looking in the wrong spot?

Im first in line to admit that, like I said, all have is anecdotal evidence that these seem to stay above 3.7v longer.

However.

Ive barely used these batteries since Ive had them, just made sure they stayed charged.. and my AW 18650 1600mahs, well, they're not OLD, theyre like 6 months, but Ive definitely used them plenty with .3ohm loads so.. maybe they're a little tired.

jkais3r

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Mankato, MN, USA
    The key being how long do they stay above 3.7 volts. Even the 2000 Mah A Dubs don't last as long above 3.7 volts. Do you have anything that shows how long they stay above 3.7?

ETA Trunker, I just picked up some of the 35 amp Efests for when the kits drop
    image.jpg

Some of those you say :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 16

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Wow.

Yeah that pretty much tells it like it is.

Its got to be my batteries then, they must be old and tired, because after using both batteries today, there is no doubt, the EH batteries of mine stay above 3.7v considerably longer than the AW IMRs.

I gotta get me some new AW IMRs.

Thanks for that chart btw, that just got bookmarked :)

OK everyone... nothing to see here... move along.. move along..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread