Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
OK Thanks for the suggestions. I will go with FA for now. If I like Desert Ship, then I might grab a bottle of the Hangsen later on to see if I prefer it over the FA version.

Honestly, I like all the flavors I have tried from both. Hangsen RY1, RY4, TAB, #5, and Highway are all good, and the 8 tobacco flavors I have tried from FA are all good as well. I am still trying to find a tobacco flavor from either company that I DON'T like. Hehe. ;)

I am also adding Shade based on daath's recommendation (Thanks!) as well as a bottle of Cowland. Is Cowland just a new name for Cowboy?

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The thing about Hangsen is that they use natural tobacco as a starting point, whereas FA's are synthetic. That is not to say that Hangsen is inherently better, but there should be more of a real tobacco feeling associated with theirs since they use it for their base. I do like some FA though, but for different reasons than Hangsen--I use FA as a top dresser, more so than for the base.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Hangsen DS at 3.5% is outstanding

FA DS at 1% is very good, but can be quite candy-ish at times

FA can be strong all right! LOL. Have you tried using them both in the same recipe? I do like the sweetness in DS, but never tried FA's DS concentrate (just in vendor mixed liquids.) I do have Hangsen's DS concentrate and it is quite good, and though EM works decent as a sweetener for it, I would like to try sweetening it up with a touch of FA if its sweetness is that pronounced.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
FA can be strong all right! LOL. Have you tried using them both in the same recipe? I do like the sweetness in DS, but never tried FA's DS concentrate (just in vendor mixed liquids.) I do have Hangsen's DS concentrate and it is quite good, and though EM works decent as a sweetener for it, I would like to try sweetening it up with a touch of FA if its sweetness is :)
Hmmm that does sound interesting. 3% Hangsen and FA .5 or less, could be a nice mix.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
FA can be strong all right! LOL. Have you tried using them both in the same recipe? I do like the sweetness in DS, but never tried FA's DS concentrate (just in vendor mixed liquids.) I do have Hangsen's DS concentrate and it is quite good, and though EM works decent as a sweetener for it, I would like to try sweetening it up with a touch of FA if its sweetness is that pronounced.

:)
Hmmm that does sound interesting. 3% Hangsen and FA .5 or less, could be a nice mix.

If you try it, please let me know or post back in this thread. I am trying to replicate a specific taste and have not been able to achieve it with EM as the sweetner.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
If you try it, please let me know or post back in this thread. I am trying to replicate a specific taste and have not been able to achieve it with EM as the sweetner.
I'll look for them. I think I still have them both. I never had much luck with any sweeteners. They all taste like Dupont to me :D

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Put in my order today and ended up going with Hangsen at the very last second. I doubt that i would have been disappointed either way.

I keep seeing that people mix their FA flavors at 1-3%, but I mixed all of mine at 5% and am getting good results. Should I back off the flavor? 5% tastes fine, but I am getting the feeling that I may have crossed over the taste killing threshold and that my juices are not tasting as strong as they should.

Also, I want to add ACV and MTS to these. Should I add both, or should I just use them exclusively? Do they have similar effects on tobacco flavors?

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Put in my order today and ended up going with Hangsen at the very last second. I doubt that i would have been disappointed either way.

I keep seeing that people mix their FA flavors at 1-3%, but I mixed all of mine at 5% and am getting good results. Should I back off the flavor? 5% tastes fine, but I am getting the feeling that I may have crossed over the taste killing threshold and that my juices are not tasting as strong as they should.

Also, I want to add ACV and MTS to these. Should I add both, or should I just use them exclusively? Do they have similar effects on tobacco flavors?
Mix small batches like 3 ml, and see which one is the best for you.

I'm not much on additives. Sorry I can't help you there.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I've found them. Just added a drop of FA to my premixed Hangsen I mixed last April. I also have plenty of the Hangsen left.

20131130_174250.jpg

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

With FA, sometimes less is more, and it also steeps deeper as the lighter percentages allows for (what I believe) the ability to pick up on more subtle notes as opposed to the top notes being too loud. But as always, YMMV.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I changed up the percentages a little. Both of these flavors work great together. I'm picking up a ton of Turkish blend, with a slight ashy taste. The FA definitely gave it a sweeter kick. Like molasses and cane syrup. This combo is very deep, warm, and well rounded. I actually impressed myself, because I don't usually mix different manufacturers together that often. I think I'm going to play with the FA DS with some other Hangsen's. I can see it mixed with USA mix, which has more cigarette notes, and perhaps Ry1.

I'm gonna let it steep some more for changes. I'll try to sip this flavor for days to weeks. It's gonna be hard though. It's dang good :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I changed up the percentages a little. Both of these flavors work great together. I'm picking up a ton of Turkish blend, with a slight ashy taste. The FA definitely gave it a sweeter kick. Like molasses and cane syrup. This combo is very deep, warm, and well rounded. I actually impressed myself, because I don't usually mix different manufacturers together that often. I think I'm going to play with the FA DS with some other Hangsen's. I can see it mixed with USA mix, which has more cigarette notes, and perhaps Ry1.

I'm gonna let it steep some more for changes. I'll try to sip this flavor for days to weeks. It's gonna be hard though. It's dang good :)

Say no more. Well, say as much as you like, but I am convinced! :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Thanks Mr. Mann. I mixed the Hangsen at 3.2 %, and FA .5 %. I had to let my older sons try it. They said it's one of my better mixes. I believe you'll enjoy it. Please let me know Sir :)

Will do. Soon as I saw your description of FA's DS, it looked perfect for a separate-sourced concentrate mash-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread