Dec 25, 2012
Athens

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree, I've seen the lists Linda posts at TFA for a single flavor.

I always think about how Diacetyl is just the "one" we are aware of causing issues now, and see the lawsuit/lawyer commercials 10-20 years from now about 30 other chemical components we use daily in flavorings that are just waiting to be discovered as damaging :(

There is Also the "2500 Chemicals in a Cigarette" thing.

If you take a Handful of Chemicals Compounds and Combine them in a Fluid, there is a Possibility that you will see New Unique Chemical Compounds formed. Especially when Heat is Applied.

This, in fact, may be Part of what "Steeping" is.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Based on having worked in the chemical process industry for a couple pf decades and familiarity with real life plant conditions for one thing. The photos in that report for another - there were effectively no environmental controls. Common sense.

If you want numbers here you go - cigarettes still contain typically 100 times greater level of diacetyl anyway:

Evaluation of electronic cigarette liquids and aerosol for the presence of selected inhalation toxins

Can't read the Study. Looks like that link is a Pay to Read site.

Do you have Another link?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Based on having worked in the chemical process industry for a couple pf decades and familiarity with real life plant conditions for one thing. The photos in that report for another - there were effectively no environmental controls. Common sense.

If you want numbers here you go - cigarettes still contain typically 100 times greater level of diacetyl anyway:

Evaluation of electronic cigarette liquids and aerosol for the presence of selected inhalation toxins

BTW - You did read the Conclusion that was shown on the Summary Page. Right?

Conclusions. DA and AP were found in a large proportion of sweet-flavoured EC liquids, with many of them exposing users to higher than safety levels. Their presence in EC liquids represents an avoidable risk. Proper measures should be taken by EC liquid manufacturers and flavouring suppliers to eliminate these hazards from the products, without necessarily limiting the availability of sweet flavours.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Very True.

BTW - Diacetyl may be the Buzz Word of the Week when it comes to Chemical Compound that may cause Potential Harm. But there are MANY Chemical Compounds that are found in the Average Flavored e-Liquid.

That's true, zoidman, but so far, we don't know if any of them, or which of them, may cause *something* in *somebody*.

I agree that it's ridiculous to even consider going back to cigarettes, for fear of "chemicals in eliquid." But I think it's also very irresponsible to tell anyone "don't worry about diketones, they won't hurt you, there's not enough in eliquid to worry about." It's equally ridiculous to tell people "just don't vape x, y, or z flavors, you'll be fine." Every person has a different threshold of where harm may start to occur, and if someone has a pre-existing condition such as asthma or COPD, then that threshold may be quite low, compared to other peoples' thresholds. And there may be diketones in all sorts of flavors, not just custard or cream or bakery; just avoiding a certain type of flavor is no guarantee that you'll avoid diketones.

My own policy is that I now DIY about 99% of everything I vape -- I do occasionally buy a pre-made juice, but it's gotten pretty rare. When I select flavors for the creation of my ejuice, I check out the flavor as well as I can -- via the manufacturer (thank you TPA/TFA), or the vendor (thank you bullcityvapor!) or by discussion here at ECF. If it is known than a flavor contains diacetyl, acetoin, or acetyl propionyl, I simply don't buy it. I've bought a few that I later learned had one or more of those ingredients, and those get moved to the 'obsoleted' drawer; I won't use them. If there is a flavor available as a substitute, such as TPA/TFA's "DX" line or Capella's v2 line, then I will choose that flavor if I need that kind of flavor in a recipe.

I'm aware that I may be verging on paranoia, but considering that I have asthma, I feel a bit of paranoia about inhaled ingredients is quite proper; if and when anything new comes to light about other flavoring components that might cause serious problems, I'll evaluate that situation and make my decision as to whether I find it an avoidable risk, but until something is known, it cannot be evaluated, and thus must be ignored.

I agree that less flavoring is probably also less harmful, however there is a risk with that of diminishing returns; if you reduce flavoring to such an extent that you no longer enjoy the vape, that brings the possiblity of returning to smoking -- to my mind, more flavoring, if it keeps one satisfied, is far less harmful than returning to smoking.

Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's true, zoidman, but so far, we don't know if any of them, or which of them, may cause *something* in *somebody*.

I agree that it's ridiculous to even consider going back to cigarettes, for fear of "chemicals in eliquid." But I think it's also very irresponsible to tell anyone "don't worry about diketones, they won't hurt you, there's not enough in eliquid to worry about." It's equally ridiculous to tell people "just don't vape x, y, or z flavors, you'll be fine." Every person has a different threshold of where harm may start to occur, and if someone has a pre-existing condition such as asthma or COPD, then that threshold may be quite low, compared to other peoples' thresholds. And there may be diketones in all sorts of flavors, not just custard or cream or bakery; just avoiding a certain type of flavor is no guarantee that you'll avoid diketones.

My own policy is that I now DIY about 99% of everything I vape -- I do occasionally buy a pre-made juice, but it's gotten pretty rare. When I select flavors for the creation of my ejuice, I check out the flavor as well as I can -- via the manufacturer (thank you TPA/TFA), or the vendor (thank you bullcityvapor!) or by discussion here at ECF. If it is known than a flavor contains diacetyl, acetoin, or acetyl propionyl, I simply don't buy it. I've bought a few that I later learned had one or more of those ingredients, and those get moved to the 'obsoleted' drawer; I won't use them. If there is a flavor available as a substitute, such as TPA/TFA's "DX" line or Capella's v2 line, then I will choose that flavor if I need that kind of flavor in a recipe.

I'm aware that I may be verging on paranoia, but considering that I have asthma, I feel a bit of paranoia about inhaled ingredients is quite proper; if and when anything new comes to light about other flavoring components that might cause serious problems, I'll evaluate that situation and make my decision as to whether I find it an avoidable risk, but until something is known, it cannot be evaluated, and thus must be ignored.

I agree that less flavoring is probably also less harmful, however there is a risk with that of diminishing returns; if you reduce flavoring to such an extent that you no longer enjoy the vape, that brings the possiblity of returning to smoking -- to my mind, more flavoring, if it keeps one satisfied, is far less harmful than returning to smoking.

Andria

I would NEVER suggest that someone should go back to Smoking.

But I also Do Not think it is Wise for some people to Summarily Dismiss any Potential Hazards of vaping just because we feel that Vaping is "Safer' practice than Smoking.

Like I have said Many Times, I view e-Cigarettes are Harm Reduction. Not Harm Elimination.

And the Reduction of Flavoring/Sweetener Percentages is something I would like to see Anyone who DIY's try. Because I was very Surprised how a Reduction of Percentages didn't negatively effect my Vaping Experience.

It was the Opposite. I enjoy e-Liquids More at Lower Levels.

And if Flavorings/Sweeteners can Cause Problems, then I Lower my exposer to them.

It's a Win - Win.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I would NEVER suggest that someone should go back to Smoking.

But I also Do Not think it is Wise for some people to Summarily Dismiss any Potential Hazards of vaping just because we feel that Vaping is "Safer' practice than Smoking.

Like I have said Many Times, I view e-Cigarettes are Harm Reduction. Not Harm Elimination.

I agree completely; for a while I dismissed a lot of this hooraw, but once I actually started looking into it, I found that there is indeed a considerable risk, and also that it can be avoided, if one is careful.

And the Reduction of Flavoring/Sweetener Percentages is something I would like to see Anyone who DIY's try. Because I was very Surprised how a Reduction of Percentages didn't negatively effect my Vaping Experience.

It was the Opposite. I enjoy e-Liquids More at Lower Levels.

And if Flavorings/Sweeteners can Cause Problems, then I Lower my exposer to them.

It's a Win - Win.

Actually it's this reasoning which prompted my near-total switch to DIY; I can police my flavorings quite carefully, but I can't do that with pre-made juice. I have no idea what all may be in that, and some vendors will not tell you. There was a juice I vaped for a few weeks that provoked a steady deterioration in my asthma; I finally had to shelve it completely, and it was at that point that I got interested in this "flavoring issue," searching and reading and learning online, and I started getting myself prepared for total DIY.

Because of that, I feel *fairly* safe even with my mixes that are 35% flavoring -- at least, they aren't causing me any breathing problems. That could naturally change, either with changes to the flavorings, or just a natural worsening of my asthma. At least, with DIY and careful flavor selection, I feel I have some control over what I'm vaping, which I did not have with pre-made ejuice.

Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree completely; for a while I dismissed a lot of this hooraw, but once I actually started looking into it, I found that there is indeed a considerable risk, and also that it can be avoided, if one is careful.

And that is Why I Think threads like this are Important.

Because if someone starts a Thread about something like Flavorings ( Or Sweeteners. Or Silica. Or Burning Carto Material) and people just say... "There is Nothing to Worry about. And Vaping is Better than Smoking so what is the Difference?" ... then people would Never think about things like maybe Reducing their Flavor Levels. Or Doing DIY to help control exactly what is in the e-Liquids they Inhale 24-7.

Seems like the More one Knows. And the More one Thinks, the better off they are.

And that Applies to things Besides Vaping Also.

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
I state very clearly the no one can tell you that any of this is safe, and that everyone must make their own decision. I state only for myself that I could care less about diketones. I care very much when a series of posts may influence a person who is smoking to be misguided to thinking that because of e.g. diketones, vaping is an unacceptable alternative. After all the cigarette already has 100 times the diketone anyway, not to mention far more dangerous components. I have never said that diketones were safe. It is my opinion that a smoker is already at far greater risk from them, and far far greater risk from much worse anyway.

I believe in common sense and restrained and rational discussion of the possible dangers of vaping but for an active smoker allowing them to be misguided and not consider vaping because of a perception of some significant known health risk is what is really really, just plain unacceptably irresponsible.

Don't add fuel to the fire by e.g. posting only what you want from some source - that is no better than FDA. Here is the full text of the abstract, I highlight what I consider significant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract

Introduction. The purpose of this study was to evaluate sweet-flavoured electronic cigarette (EC) liquids for the presence of diacetyl (DA) and acetyl propionyl (AP), which are chemicals approved for food use but are associated with respiratory disease when inhaled.

Methods. In total, 159 samples were purchased from 36 manufacturers and retailers from 7 countries. Additionally, three liquids were prepared by dissolving a concentrated flavour sample of known DA and AP levels at 5%, 10% and 20% concentration in a mixture of propylene glycol and glycerol. Aerosol produced by an EC was analyzed to determine the concentration of DA and AP.

Results. DA and AP were found in 74.2% of the samples, with more samples containing DA. Similar concentrations were found in liquid and aerosol for both chemicals. The median daily exposure levels were 56μg/day (IQR: 26-278μg/day) for DA and 91μg/day (IQR: 20-432μg/day) for AP. They were slightly lower than the strict NIOSH-defined safety limits for occupational exposure and 100 and 10 times lower compared to smoking respectively; however, 47.3% of DA and 41.5% of AP-containing samples exposed consumers to levels higher than the safety limits.

Conclusions. DA and AP were found in a large proportion of sweet-flavoured EC liquids, with many of them exposing users to higher than safety levels. Their presence in EC liquids represents an avoidable risk. Proper measures should be taken by EC liquid manufacturers and flavouring suppliers to eliminate these hazards from the products, without necessarily limiting the availability of sweet flavours.

© The Author 2014. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: journals.permissions@oup.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes we can do more, but OSHA limits are extremely strict, without the full PDF we really cannot assess what exactly they mixed, but it is quite possible any given component was used higher than we typically would include a single component, and of the samples that exceeded the OSHA levels (which again are extremely stringent, and really intended for a different exposure environment anyway, you may vape all day, you still are not breathing it) and not that they do not give numbers for how much samples exceeded the "limits" but it is reasonable to assume if some were way outside the ranges you likely would have gotten some numbers. I don't know that and will not speak to what I don't know, it is merely a reasonable assumption.

If you want to live a clean life, abandon vaping. I have stated repeatedly whatever harm it causes, it is certainly not benign. If you have quit or are reducing your cigarette intake, I applaud you. My issue is that I am not advocating turning a blind eye to health risks - I am not promoting vaping in *anyone* who is not a smoker. I also do not endorse speculative, largely flawed attempts to invoke "science" that can have a chilling effect of smokers who are considering attempting vaping as an alternative.

The worse health effects we have seen today are also either a fundamental part of tobacco use or absolutely pale in the relative potential risk level. Smokers can worry about diketones when they no longer smoke, if they choose to do so. As long as they are actively smoking, that should not be even a consideration.

Everyone knows the obvious lung cancer risk of smoking, and the cardiovascular effects. How many smokers, ex-smokers, persons vigorously campaigning against diketones for example are also aware of this: cigarette smoking is also the single strongest correlation for development of pancreatic cancer - an effective death sentence with abysmal morbidity outcomes?

Discussing health effects of vaping is important. But doing so responsibly and in a careful, restrained, and as scientifically sound and objective manner as possible is even more important because of the potential to influence people actively still smoking.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
snip...

Andria

I find most commercial juice flavors are way too strong for an ADV.
For example I have a Black Cherry Tobacco that is an ADV for me.
It ends up I vape it at 5 parts BCTobacco with 31 parts unflavored.

My RY4 is 2 tens of a ml flavoring 1 drop of Type M for 10 mils of e liquid.

Of course now I have an identity crisis. I am not a cloud chaser and apparently not a flavor chaser either... who am I. :D

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I believe in common sense and restrained and rational discussion of the possible dangers of vaping but for an active smoker allowing them to be misguided and not consider vaping because of a perception of some significant known health risk is what is really really, just plain unacceptably irresponsible.

Isn't that what we are Trying to do here?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

Bad news. A lot of diacetyl in a lot of juices.
I'd like to see how good/bad situation is in each of 7 countries under study (even better - to see test results with names of manufacturers).
Hope CASAA can help.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
If first pill contains 10 fatal doses of some toxin and second pill have just 2 doses, would you consider the second pill as a safe one?

I notice you have adjusted the ratio from 100:1 to 5:1

Why don't you put it in perspective. A PAD smoker would go through 146000 cigarettes (doses) over 20 years. How would 1460 look compared to that? (less then 2 months of smoking vs 20 years)? And how does a 0.01 dose look compared to 146000? Also you assume that these doses are 100% additive (no elimination over time). If this were true we'd be all dead after a couple of cartons.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Bad news. A lot of diacetyl in a lot of juices.
I'd like to see how good/bad situation is in each of 7 countries under study (even better - to see test results with names of manufacturers).
Hope CASAA can help.

Yeah... And there is More Bad News.

Because I do not believe that the Study was Done using High Wattage devices.

So if one is Tilting Clouds at 90 Watts, thier Exposure Rates will go Way Up. As well as Possible Exposure to Other Chemical Compounds.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I notice you have adjusted the ratio from 100:1 to 5:1

Why don't you put it in perspective. A PAD smoker would go through 146000 cigarettes (doses) over 20 years. How would 1460 look compared to that? (less then 2 months of smoking vs 20 years)? And how does a 0.01 dose look compared to 146000? Also you assume that these doses are 100% additive (no elimination over time). If this were true we'd be all dead after a couple of cartons.

Sorry, you are wrong here.
100:1 is for median exposure.
Exposure from “bad” juices was higher and was not described in the abstract (and we do not have free access to the paper).
Anyway, it is not important. Important thing there are still juices on the market with diacetil.
I’d like to know manufacturers of these juices.

Any time somebody will test e-cig juice we will see alarmist papers thanks to these manufacturers.
Even worse if somebody develop disease (even in 20 years) thanks to these manufacturers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I find most commercial juice flavors are way too strong for an ADV.
For example I have a Black Cherry Tobacco that is an ADV for me.
It ends up I vape it at 5 parts BCTobacco with 31 parts unflavored.

My RY4 is 2 tens of a ml flavoring 1 drop of Type M for 10 mils of e liquid.

Of course now I have an identity crisis. I am not a cloud chaser and apparently not a flavor chaser either... who am I. :D

Heh.. I've found just the opposite, that most "store bought" ejuice is just weak and insipid; nearly anything except a tobacco flavor benefits hugely just from adding some sweetener, and sometimes some creams/vanillas or other "accent" notes.

Of course, my tastebuds are at the decided disadvantage of having endured a steady diet of smoke for 39 yrs. Maybe they'll sharpen up in a few years. But with DIY, finally I have some ejuice I can actually taste -- I had begun to worry that all ejuice was just a nice smell and not really any taste -- 30%-35% total flavoring means I can taste it!

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread