Did I order wrong batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshbunny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
NE GA, USA
I ordered an iTaste SVD, the batteries I ordered were the Panasonic NCR18650PD 18650 3.6V 2900mAH Rechargeable Li-ion batteries (2-Pack). I have been doing as much research as possible to educate myself so that I will be ready to use the SVD when it arrives. In my obsessive
researching I came across the iTaste SVD User manual on the Innokin site and it read:

" We recommend you use IMR high drain 18650, IMR high drain 18500 or IMR high drain 18350 batteries, such as AW IMR18650, IMR18500 and 18350 batteries. Other types of batteries may damage your iTaste SVD."

I have been to "The Battery University" section, but it's over my head. Can someone please let me know if the batteries that I ordered might damage my new toy, or if they should work OK? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Relax, those batteries are high quality and will work fine in your SVD. What you ordered is a relatively new type of battery which is referred to as a hybrid battery. Part safe chemistry/high drain like an IMR and part high capacity/protected like a protected Li Ion. The best of both worlds.

The SVD user manual recommends an IMR because regulated mods like your's use a buck boost circuit to be able to regulate voltage up or down, and this requires the high drain ability of an IMR battery. The new hybrid batteries can do this just fine. Most protected Li Ion batteries are not designed to do that effectively.

I've recently studied a lot about batteries myself. I still have a lot to learn. I've compiled some basic information and resources together into this blog:

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Last edited:

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
These batteries are non protected batteries.

The MOD has build in protection for over discharge (it won't fire and give you a error when battery is low.) and that's what you want.

You do not want to use these batteries in a device that do not have any protection such as Mech MOD with out using something like "KICK".

You are good.

Cheers.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
These batteries are non protected batteries.

The MOD has build in protection for over discharge (it won't fire and give you a error when battery is low.) and that's what you want.

You do not want to use these batteries in a device that do not have any protection such as Mech MOD with out using something like "KICK".
These batteries are high-drain, high-capacity hybrid batteries.

From the looks of their tops, they could be protected too, although I've not read confirmation this is so. I've read conflicting reports about that. The Panasonic batteries are so confusing, and they won't release the chemistry other than say its a hybrid. The black strips are likely more than just decoration, and the positive end has a groove that looks like a protective circuit was added to the battery. Additionally, these batteries are a little longer than most, a possible indication a protective circuit has been added. I've written to Orbtronic to find out if these batteries can be considered safe chemistry and/or are protected, but I haven't heard back yet.

Panasonic's version: http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-chargers/high-drain-18650-2900mah-ncr18650pd-hybrid-li-ion-rechargeable-battery-panasonic-flat-top
Orbtronic's version: http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-chargers/high-drain-18650-2900mah-ncr18650pd-hybrid-li-ion-battery-button-top-panasonic-orbtronic

Regardless, the mod the OP has does have built-in protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread