Did it auto fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    This was the setup: Smoant Cylon mod; 2 LG HG2 18650 batteries; Aspire Cleito 120 Pro with .16 Clapton coil.

It was sitting on an end table. Yesterday when I returned home from work the juice was completely drained from the tank. I cleaned up that mess and popped the batteries in a charger. Both batteries were drained down to 3.8 volts. I assume the mod had auto fired and cut off when the batteries got down to 3.8 volts. Scary. I threw the mod in the trash and kept the tank.

I guess it auto fired? Your thoughts? :confused:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    3.8V would be a somewhat strange place for it to "cut off". That's still something on the order of a 60% state-of-charge.

Describe the "mess" that you had to clean up please. Also, what's the condition of the coil in the tank?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    3.8v isn't drained down really, the usable range is 4.2v ~ 2.8ish v.
    Most semi decent power devices have a low voltage cutoff somewhere in the 2.8v - 3.5v range.
    Most semi decent power devices have an auto cutoff of 10 - 12 seconds meaning no matter how long you hold down the fire button it will only fire for so long.
    This feature also works as an auto fire limiter if the chip/board is operating as intended.

Sounds more like the tank / delivery device leaked.
    If it had auto fired the head / coil & wicking material would be burnt / charred to a crisp, easy to see & there would be a very noticeable burnt smell & taste.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    3.8V would be a somewhat strange place for it to "cut off". That's still something on the order of a 60% state-of-charge.

Describe the "mess" that you had to clean up please. Also, what's the condition of the coil in the tank?
    The liquid was completely drained from the tank. It had run down the side of the mod. It was as if a hole was drilled at the bottom of the tank and it all just ran out of the tank.

Based on your replies, I am guessing it was user error somewhere in my setup...

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I would agree the issue occurred with the tank, nit the mod. Even if it was auto firing you wouldn't find all the juice pooled around the mod and table (wherever it was).

Now if juice got inside the mod it can mess with things, like the board damaged or more common messed up buttons when the juice dries and leaves funky stuff on which can make them stick.

If you haven't thrown the garbage out you might want to retrieve the mod, inspect it for liquid in the battery compartment, and the button play. Then I would use it with freshly charged batteries and keep a close eye on it. Don't leave it alone powered on until you know it's trustworthy. And charge your batteries in an external charger. It's good practice for using any mod with replaceable batteries rather than in the mod. It provides better balanced charging and allows you to monitor the condition of the battery better, especially with newer chargers that give you all sorts of info about the battery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread