Did tobeco update their Kayfun Lite clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
I just got the tobeco KFL about 3 weeks ago. It does indeed seem to mirror the KFL+/Russian. So far, I haven't had any luck with it though. I cant get it to stop leaking from the air hole at the bottom. It is my first kayfun style atty (I'm a dripper) so I'm trying to be patient but lost a whole bottle of juice to leaking already.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I just got the tobeco KFL about 3 weeks ago. It does indeed seem to mirror the KFL+/Russian. So far, I haven't had any luck with it though. I cant get it to stop leaking from the air hole at the bottom. It is my first Kayfun style atty (I'm a dripper) so I'm trying to be patient but lost a whole bottle of juice to leaking already.

Make sure your tank is sealed up 100%. For this system to work without leaking the tank has to be able to hold the vacuum created in the tank when you inhale. This vacuum sucks back into the tank the extra unwicked juice that is drawn in when you inhale. If the tank can not hold the vacuum the juice will just keep building up in the coil area with each inhale until it gets to the level of the air hole under the coil and then floods out of the air hole.
What can cause the tank to not hold a vacuum is a bad or missing o-ring. The small o-ring that goes into the bottom of the top cap can fall out when the tank is taken apart. I have had this happen to me. This o-ring is the one that seals the top of the chimney to the top cap.
I have also heard that if the coil is too close to the air hole it can cause flooding also. Set the coil about 1.5mm to 2mm above the air hole.
Let us know if this corrects your problem.

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
I got mine a good month ago and it has the recessed fill and AFC.
I love it a lot but all the threads seem to tighten themselves, have had to use vice grips (not quite them, but it's too late and you get the idea lol) to loosen them. Even the fill port. Not sure why, I never crank the pieces together and it has happened to every thread except the plastic section :shrug:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I just got the tobeco KFL about 3 weeks ago. It does indeed seem to mirror the KFL+/Russian. So far, I haven't had any luck with it though. I cant get it to stop leaking from the air hole at the bottom. It is my first Kayfun style atty (I'm a dripper) so I'm trying to be patient but lost a whole bottle of juice to leaking already.

I just got mine today and I admit I had a bit of a fight with it. First I was hearing the snap and crackle but getting no vapor. So I raised the coil and rearranged the wicks. Then I was getting flooding like you. So I rearranged the wicks again. Then it was dry hits (which on cotton were pretty rank). More rearranging and fiddling. Upshot of the deal 6 hours later I got it right. The vape is astounding. Now that I know how to set it up it won't be a problem. This thing just takes time to wrap your brain around.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
numbskull:11797153 said:

I think too much is stressed about the o-rings on new kayfuns...

Are you using cotton? You need a nice thick amount to cover wick wells.

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
Make sure your tank is sealed up 100%. For this system to work without leaking the tank has to be able to hold the vacuum created in the tank when you inhale.

Good advice. I think I'll try replacing the o-rings. They seem to get caught between the top cap and first tank section AND the bottom deck and last tank section. Maybe keeping me from getting an air tight seal as you mentiond.

Maybe Intervap is having the same problem? Are you also getting leakage?

I have a .9 micro 5 wraps 26 ga Kanthal on a 3/32 drillbit with a cotton wick. Played with the amount of cotton also, too little I got burnt taste too much it would flood right away lol. I think I have it down now but will report back once Iv'e changed those damned o-rings to confirm.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Good advice. I think I'll try replacing the o-rings. They seem to get caught between the top cap and first tank section AND the bottom deck and last tank section. Maybe keeping me from getting an air tight seal as you mentiond.

Maybe Intervap is having the same problem? Are you also getting leakage?

I have a .9 micro 5 wraps 26 ga Kanthal on a 3/32 drillbit with a cotton wick. Played with the amount of cotton also, too little I got burnt taste too much it would flood right away lol. I think I have it down now but will report back once Iv'e changed those damned o-rings to confirm.

You may want to put a little juice on the O-rings to lubricate them so they don't grab when you screw the sections together. This will make them slicker.

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Wow to think i was going to spend my day doing research on why i was leaking. Yall made this so easy. Will look around some more but good information. I got mine last night too and was only able to play a little bit and i had the leaking issue as well. had to put it up for the night but will revisit this again tonight when i get home.

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
Talk about a thread hijack! lol

Lol. sorry about that Sam!

You'll be happy to know that with all the advice on this thread, I got my KFL rocking. Replaced all 3 o-rings (Top, bottom and chimney)
lubed em up with a little juice and even bought one of those fancy clear tanks!
Vaping like a champ with no leaking for the last hour or two(confident it will stay that way to). Thank you everyone for all the help

Vape on!:vapor:

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Lol. sorry about that Sam!

You'll be happy to know that with all the advice on this thread, I got my KFL rocking. Replaced all 3 o-rings (Top, bottom and chimney)
lubed em up with a little juice and even bought one of those fancy clear tanks!
Vaping like a champ with no leaking for the last hour or two(confident it will stay that way to). Thank you everyone for all the help

Vape on!:vapor:

Good to hear you got it working correctly. This Kayfun system works really good once you figure them out. The tanks just have to be sealed up completely for them to work, then the juice metering works like a charm.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
I'm not sure which one I got, but it does have the recessed fill screw w/oring. Also included 3 different tank options (all metal, small frosted polycarb window and full frosted polycarb tank. The drip tip well is too narrow to accept any other drip tips, but came with an adaptor so you need to use that if you have another tip you want to use. Came in a black box, no instructions.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
I got mine a good month ago and it has the recessed fill and AFC.
I love it a lot but all the threads seem to tighten themselves, have had to use vice grips (not quite them, but it's too late and you get the idea lol) to loosen them. Even the fill port. Not sure why, I never crank the pieces together and it has happened to every thread except the plastic section :shrug:

Put a very lite coat of noalox on the threads

railz68

Jun 15, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I just got mine today in the mail, cleaned it up, replaced the coil and...leaking. I've pulled apart twice and checked the o-rings on the top, chimney, and sections. All seemed fine. I've replaced the cotton twice but after the first drag or two fluid starts oozing out of the air hole. Sigh.

Doing my last bit of homework before i buy mine. After seeing your post i recall a video i saw this morning. Flooding at 5:30min mark.
Good to see all of the video, here it is.

How to build a Kayfun RBA // Vape Rev EDU - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread