Difference between coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuhrayoh

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
SC, USA
Dual coil basically doubles your vapor production and cuts your ohms in half. Say you have 2 1.8ohm coils. Put into an atomizer it should read 0.9ohms. I don't have enough kowledge about micro and nano coils to tell you what the difference in. I use microcoils in my protank rebuilds and in my cotton set ups in my rda's though.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Sounds like you pretty much know the answer. The only difference (and this applies to gauge of wire for the coil as well) will be the amount of resistance in the coil. A micro coil for example will often be 8 or 9 tightly wound wraps. Because they are so tightly wound, there will be less coil, so less resistance. This is why you will often see so many wraps on a micro coil (to increase the amount of wire hence increase resistance).

I've never gotten into the whole micro coil scene, so if any of this is less than accurate someone please let me know. The benefit of micro coil is to keep the coils closer together and produce more heat. At least I think it is.

Dual coils imho are preferred simply because you now have two sets of coils producing vapor. If you are thinking about going dual coil just know that it will double the amperage on your battery, so plan accordingly.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Single coils- Resistance=Resistance...easier to work with..especially in carto-tanks.
Dual coils- More surface area...a lot more stress on your battery..Unless you can direct the liquid to the coil, they suck (dual coil carto in tank)
1/equivalent resistance=1/resistance+1/resistance...for instance, a 1.5 Ohm dual coil is:
1/equivalent resistance=1/3 + 1/3=2/3
resistance=1.5
A properly functioning dual coil will contain two resistors, double the resistance of measured resistance. So you can have an increased amount of power from the lower resistance of the over all circuit, but since you have two 3 ohm coils, you can increase the voltage dramatically when compared to the same 1.5 Ohm single coil.

I just got into micro coils..they're really fun. A micro coil has its coils touching each other, instead of having gaps in between them. Fantastic vapor production..wow.

I'm trying to figure out the real difference between mico and nano coils.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I like the micro coil builds because I can get them much more consistent build after build over the traditional coils. Wrapping them on a jig pretty much guarantees that each build is practically the same as the previous one. I also love the ease of maintenance. If it gunks up, I can remove the wick and dry burn off the gunk and rewick and the coil is practically good as new.

My setup of choice is the Dragon coil, with no wicking through the coil but a bedding of wick beneath. Makes for great vapor and easy maintenance. I wrapped a coil a couple weeks ago and it is still going very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread