Difference Between Kayfun/Russian and Clearomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loopy1224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Brick, New Jersey
I have been using the Aspire nautilus tank and reallly like it a lot but so many people here swear by their Kayfuns and Russians that I am thinking about getting one to see what all the fuss is about. If it vapes better than the Nautilus I belive i will have found my long term permanent set up (at least for this week! :?:).

I've picked up a lot in my three weeks or so of reading this really amazing forum but I haven't been able to figure out the difference between how clearomizers and products like the Kayfun and Russian work. I understand that you have to build the coil and attach the wicking for the Kayfun vs. buying or rebuilding the heads on clearomizers. I am trying to understand how they differ functionally.

I went to the Kayfun site and looked at the owners manual and except for the base that holds the coil the parts look pretty much like those in my Nautilus. In the Nautilus the head would just replace the electronics on top of the Kayfun base.

Do they actually differ in how they operate or do people love their Kayfuns because they like the vaping experience better? If that's the case i would love to hear from some of you about why you like the Kayfun so much.

Thanks for putting up with us NOOBs

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
Kayfun and Russian work exactly the same, the only differences are- the look, where or if it has airflow control and location, russian & KF3.1 have screw in mouth piece or adapter for reg drip tip, the 3.1 is taller and has a bottom section that screws on for 510 connection. But the best one of all IMO is the kayfun Light Plus. same size as russian and KFL, has airflow control on bottom, has sealed fill hole on bottom. You can get a clone KFL+ that has and adjustable 510 connector and works just as good as an authentic Kayfun for $36. Hope that didn't get to confusing, I know I researched all of them for about a month before I finally bought the KFL+ with adjustable 510

edit: flavor and simplicity of the kayfun is hard to beat

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Do they actually differ in how they operate or do people love their Kayfuns because they like the vaping experience better? If that's the case i would love to hear from some of you about why you like the Kayfun so much.

Thanks for putting up with us NOOBs

There is a big difference in the way they operate.

In the Nautilus and other clearomizers you take your atomizer head and shove it directly into the tank of juice. The liquid is then drawn through the wicks in to the chimney where the liquid is converted to a vapor as you draw air through the chimney. The atomization happens very fast in a very confined space which results in lots and lots of little tiny droplets forming the vapor. Little droplets don't carry much flavoring, so, you end up with a lot of cloud but much of the flavoring has been lost.

In the Kayfun the atomizer is located in a chamber below the tank, not inside it. Liquid is dripped through channels into the atomizer chamber which saturates the wick and surrounds the bottom of the coil. There is also an air chamber to act as a regulator between the coil and the chimney. The additional air plus additional liquid surrounding the coil results in vapor that has larger sized droplets which carry more of the flavoring. You still get big clouds, but it carries a lot more flavor. (And nicotine, so be prepared to reduce your nic levels)

The Kayfun is essentially a dripping atomizer with a tank on top which drips the liquid for you.

Last edited:

Loopy1224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Brick, New Jersey
So then do the bigger droplets mean more juice used too? Not that it matters all that much but with the Nautilus i can fill it with about 3ml of juice in the morning and not worry about it agaiin till i get home from work. Wouldn't be a big issue to carry a little juice bottle with me if i had to fill up a little more often.

I Think I'll watch some coil building vids on YouTube tonight. Cant be that hard if so many people are doing it and from what i read it's a lot cheaper than bying new heads.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
There is a big difference in the way they operate.

In the Nautilus and other clearomizers you take your atomizer head and shove it directly into the tank of juice. The liquid is then drawn through the wicks in to the chimney where the liquid is converted to a vapor as you draw air through the chimney. The atomization happens very fast in a very confined space which results in lots and lots of little tiny droplets forming the vapor. Little droplets don't carry much flavoring, so, you end up with a lot of cloud but much of the flavoring has been lost.

In the Kayfun the atomizer is located in a chamber below the tank, not inside it. Liquid is dripped through channels into the atomizer chamber which saturates the wick and surrounds the bottom of the coil. There is also an air chamber to act as a regulator between the coil and the chimney. The additional air plus additional liquid surrounding the coil results in vapor that has larger sized droplets which carry more of the flavoring. You still get big clouds, but it carries a lot more flavor. (And nicotine, so be prepared to reduce your nic levels)

The Kayfun is essentially a dripping atomizer with a tank on top which drips the liquid for you.

What he said!
And you can use your choice of wire and wick material in the Kayfun/Russian to custom taylor the density, warmth and flavor of your vape. Also, Kayfun have 4.5 ml capacity.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Basic difference between any clearomizer and a rebuildable is the size (surface area) of the wick medium. You'll get much more vapor and flavor via more e-liquid to the coil with a rebuildable than you will with tiny silica string wicks in a clearomizer. You'll also go through juice much faster and use slightly more battery life. The advice to reduce your nic level is wise. ;)

You Tube will be your best bet to see the performance differences.

Kayfun/Russian clone rebuildable tank atomizer

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
So then do the bigger droplets mean more juice used too? Not that it matters all that much but with the Nautilus i can fill it with about 3ml of juice in the morning and not worry about it agaiin till i get home from work. Wouldn't be a big issue to carry a little juice bottle with me if i had to fill up a little more often.

You will definitely go through juice a little faster. It was an instant 1ml per day increase for me.

Nice part about the Kayfun is you can expand the size. They have tank sizes all the way up to 10ml if you want.

lee1024

Nov 9, 2013
Toronto
Yup - I find I use more juice in the Kayfun, but the flavour is better. I would make the suggestion that a Kayfun is more for someone who wants to experiment as you can vary the build and the materials you build from - so use cotton or silica for wicks, vary the resistance and type of coil etc, but it is NOT a hands off process. You don't buy a Kayfun or a Russian and use them straight out of the box like you would a clearomizer, so if you aren't into building of coils etc you may want to think twice. If you like it - then a Kayfun or Russian is hard to beat

Loopy1224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Brick, New Jersey
I like to tinker with things so I think the combination of a better vape and the challenge of experimenting with coil building is right up my alley - just wish I didn't order another aspire yesterday!! Not a big deal it will be convenient to have some clearo's around for trying new juices easliy and sharing with friends!!

So now the hard part.........any clear differences between the Kayfun and Russian? Any other products worth considering? I'll dig through YouTube but I really value the opinions I get from you vaping vets!!

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
What I would highly recommend is getting a Dripping atomizer to practice with. Try out different coil builds on the dripper and then use the ones you like best on the Kayfun. A good RDA is pretty cheap these days. You should be able to find an IGO-L or Trident V2 clone for under $20 if you check around.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I like to tinker with things so I think the combination of a better vape and the challenge of experimenting with coil building is right up my alley - just wish I didn't order another aspire yesterday!!

Ooooooh, I am SO going to make you hate yourself for that purchase....

How much did you pay for that Aspire?

hcigar kayfun 3.1 | eBay

cope

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2013
washington state
i do enjoy my bct pro tanks but i really love my russian 91 there is a noticeable change in flavor and vapor production i had to lower my nic level with the russian and the coil lasts a long long time just have to change the cotton wick every few days ..i use my pro tanks at work .. theres so many options in vaping the trick is to find what works for you ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread