digicharger malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I just wanted to document this. if anyone knows why it happened please say.

I put one vtc5 in the digicharger 4. the screen was blank. plugged and unplugged it several times(common cure for computer devices). it finally lit up blank. I did this again a couple of times. started charging. took almost 5 hours to charge vtc5. normally takes about 3;20. I subsequently charged 12 batteries all working fine.

is there a hazard that I should replace this asap?

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I did not want to start a new thread. I am warning everyone. you might want to think twice about getting this. I had 6 of them. 4 were still working. I was just charging 4 batteries in one. I was out. I came home to find 4 batteries vented and a destroyed digicharger. luckily it was in the garage. I would take pics but I put on gloves and in the trash. contact with those chemicals can prove deadly afaik.

so whats good? pila? I can't take these kind of risks. my darn home could have burned.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Pila and Xtar are both good alternatives

A good thing to keep in mind is that even the best chargers and batteries can fail, often with little warning. This is a good example of why there are warnings in the manuals for most (if not all) chargers, as well as on battery vendors' websites and various discussion forums, about not leaving them unattended while charging. While the odds of something going wrong might be slim, there is still the chance :2c:

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
it is not reasonable to watch it 4 hours. plus I'd rather not be watching it explode on me. that is why I have them in an area that is pretty much fire proof. concrete garage floor. about 900 square feet clear around it. I know not everyone has that option. I know these are dangerous. on candle power someone became terminally ill from an explosion. this kind of ruins my vape experience. If I had been there I may have been seriously injured or killed. this honestly scares me.

I am certainly done with nitecore. there are dangers but they can be lessened to a degree with a decent charger. I knew better but I was stupid.

KGB7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rockville, MD
Pila and Xtar are both good alternatives

A good thing to keep in mind is that even the best chargers and batteries can fail, often with little warning. This is a good example of why there are warnings in the manuals for most (if not all) chargers, as well as on battery vendors' websites and various discussion forums, about not leaving them unattended while charging. While the odds of something going wrong might be slim, there is still the chance :2c:

Yup, anything can fail at any given time; TVs, computers, cars, space ships.

it is not reasonable to watch it 4 hours. plus I'd rather not be watching it explode on me. that is why I have them in an area that is pretty much fire proof. concrete garage floor. about 900 square feet clear around it. I know not everyone has that option. I know these are dangerous. on candle power someone became terminally ill from an explosion. this kind of ruins my vape experience. If I had been there I may have been seriously injured or killed. this honestly scares me.

I am certainly done with nitecore. there are dangers but they can be lessened to a degree with a decent charger. I knew better but I was stupid.

I keep the charger few feet away from my PC, so i only charge the batteries when im on my PC which allows me to keep an eye on the charger. I could keep the charger in the garage, but if its too cold, then the batteries might not even charge do to low winter temps. And in the summer, garage temps get to high for batteries safety.

As i have said in another thread; everything fails eventually. It could be on day one or ten years later.

Last edited:

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I have found the intellicharger to be much more reliable then the digicharger. don't really need the lcd. I don't know how good it is on batteries but I have had hundreds of charges on them. they are all made in china and none are anything special. the intellicharger is if nothing else as reliable as the xtar or pila. now watch one will go explode.
I guess the lcd messes it up or the intellicharger has different internals. as they say, keep it simple stupid. in fact the so said best one, pila has but two led's. hobby chargers are a different story. otherwise I feel these are all about the same. save for trustfire and digicharger. both of which are prone to fail. otherwise they charge batteries. the intellicharger seems to do it as the pila as far as status and charge modes. I am not praising it but for $15 it does the same job. knock on wood. as you said any of them can and will fail. so $15 fits the bill.

my garage is heated and cooled so it works for that. I can't watch it 4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread