DIY Charging EVOD - Not a split USB cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird question but, I left my EVOD charger at a friends house. I'll be back over there in a few days so I don't want to buy a new one. I have been using a passthrough for now. Anyway, I have a D/C power supply with paddles that can not only supply, but read voltage level.

If I am correct in my understanding, If I supply 4.2ish volts to the battery pin, and hold the negative paddle to the threads of the battery and just sit here immobile for 2 hrs I should be charged up.

Anyone else done this? I won't be able to specify mA with this setup, that is my main concern.

I also am not an electrical engineer. I'm an audio guy. I know the bare minimum of electrical engineering.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
One should never attempt to charge these batteries with anything other than the cable/charger they came with. The majority of incidents with these ecigs melting down and causing issues is due to the individual using a charger that was not made for the ecig.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
I have taken to keeping at least 2 spare chargers on hand for our Evods. Just last week, the charger my daughter was using decided to bite the dust. A couple of hours later, her boyfriend told me that he needed a new charger, too. He found out that his Mom stopped vaping and went back to smoking when her charger died on her. He wanted to give her the charger he was using (same hardware).

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Weird question but, I left my EVOD charger at a friends house. I'll be back over there in a few days so I don't want to buy a new one. I have been using a passthrough for now. Anyway, I have a D/C power supply with paddles that can not only supply, but read voltage level.

If I am correct in my understanding, If I supply 4.2ish volts to the battery pin, and hold the negative paddle to the threads of the battery and just sit here immobile for 2 hrs I should be charged up.

Anyone else done this? I won't be able to specify mA with this setup, that is my main concern.

I also am not an electrical engineer. I'm an audio guy. I know the bare minimum of electrical engineering.

It won't work. Charging a Li-ion battery is done in three stages as shown in the first chart here. Stage one uses constant current. In stage two the current is slowly lowered in such a fashion that battery voltage stays stable. In stage three when charge current is low enough the charger shuts off. Battery voltage should then be very close to 4.2V.

With the type of cell you have in the EVOD you are pretty much asking for an explosion if you try your power supply.

Reactions: WakeUpToThis

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

It's not just the voltage, it's the amperage... If you supply too many amps, you'll be overpowering the capacity for the battery to charge, and it will vent.

Also, those little chargers don't supply a constant voltage.. it checks for overcharging as well. It supplies 4.2 volts for a second.. stops, checks battery level, if the battery level is too low, it supplies 4.2 volts again for a second....repeat until the battery reaches 4.2 volts, then it just simply doesn't supply a charge level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread