DIY e-liquid starter kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
It's been a while since I've been active on the forums. vaping exclusively since 2010.
Given the current situation I'm hoping the DIY people have put together something like a "starter kit"?

I'm pretty knowledgeable about vaping in general.
For the last five years or so I've been doing rebuildable RDAs (Metal Madness mechanicals, and lately iJoy eXo using Sxmini mods). Also tried and bought a bunch of FreeMax mesh pro tanks and replacement coils (ss) -- yea, not rebuildable but as good as the eXo's, just different. So I guess I'm a sub-ohm vaper. I think I have all the mechanical/hardware stuff covered. So I need to cover the e-liquid. I can mix, I've got scales and understand that stuff but never did it from scratch. I'm not looking for process at the moment but raw supplies. I aware of handling risks with nics over 40/50% concentration.

I've always done tobacco flavors. Pretty much DeKang. My everyday vape for 7 years now has been DK-TAB. Did a bit of 555, etc. but 90% of my vaping has been DK-TAB. Started 100% VG, have gone 100% PG, and currently something like 70% PG 30% VG.

Given all that what I'm looking for is a compiled guide. Something where someone has done all the work and investigation. Something with specifics maybe. Money is not limitless so a factor, but a minor factor. I'd prefer sources with independently certified product.

Something like:
Here is where to get VG base. buy in this quantity and store this way. It has a shelf life of x years.
Here is where to get PG base. ...
Here is where to get nicotine liquid in this concentration. ...
Here is where to get flavors.
Buy these gallon jugs for storage, get these things for mixing, etc.

I'm assuming the flavors will be the least well defined and require trial and error on my part.

Anything like this already put together?
(doh.. I'm in the US)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blitzdonlife

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    You will get a lot of replies, everyone likes different things. Here is a sale on tobacco flavors to start with (I don't use tobacco flavors but this is a good company and a good sale): note it is only good through today.
    Tobacco Flavors
    cbe430d2-6945-4bc5-b09f-c544e9a6ecc5.jpg

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I’m afraid there’s probably no comprehensive list specific to what you’re asking, but all of this - and more- has been addressed in the DIY.

Pretty sure this thread will get moved there sooner or later, too.

Also, we are prohibited from discussing nic over 100 mg/ml, or 10%, so you might want to avoid that.

• Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Given all that what I'm looking for is a compiled guide. Something where someone has done all the work and investigation.
    Best general guide out there IMO:
    reddit: the front page of the internet
    where to get
    I got almost all my starter equipment/chems. from:
    Wizard Labs
    because they have most everything at competitive pricing and if you spend more than $50, free shipping.
    nicotine liquid in this concentration. .
    100 mg freebase or salts is a good buy.
    gallon jugs for storage
    Suggest usage of gallon quantities: please do not expect to mix,store,buy,use any gallon size chemicals longer than 2 years. Most flavors and nic can significantly degrade when exposed to air/oxygen.

Quick1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    Thanks everybody!

I spent about a full day browsing. I think the main DIY thread I used (first one referenced above) was a few years old but recommendations still looked solid -- I went with LNW as a reputable/quality supplier.

• 2 liters 100mg nic (pg). should get me 10 yrs or so down the road if it happens to become impossible to obtain more.
    • 1 boatload of glass from specialtybottle.com. Lol, 50ml blue for 1L nic, 32oz ambers for the other 1L nic, 100ml greens for mixed eliquids, ...
    • 1 gal PG. will probably do 70pg/30vg liquids and figured I wanted more than 1 liter on hand and you might as well get a gallon for just a little more cost than 2 liters. ...only ordered 4 32oz bottles. should have got more so I can store everything in glass...
    • 2 liters VG.
    • beakers, syringes, even a couple of cylinders, 500g x 0.01g scale
    • Found Tab Blended Flavor (HS) at Nicotine Giant. I'm really hoping this is (or is almost the same as) DeKang DK-Tab. ...they only had 24 10ml so I grabbed 5 just in case. Strange that one of the most popular pre-mixed flavors in the world is so hard to find flavoring for DIY.
    • Hahaha, dedicated mini fridge&freezer from Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-K...-Fridge-with-Freezer-Stainless-Steel/49660449. I probably should have just got the 1.1CuFt freezer for just the nic (w/lock) but my kids are grown and I wanted a dedicated freezer AND fridge. Seems there could be some downsides to storing eliquid cold but I like the idea of constant temp... One thing about this fridge/freezer. There are maybe a dozen brands (each with their own price) and all the pics look exactly the same. Looks like a single manufacturer and they just brand it.
    One thing no one mentioned (or I missed it). How do you clean your glass? Or do you really need to bother? Rinsing with water... but it's going to take forever to dry. I'm figuring nothing really grows in PG right? and since I have a whole gallon of it I'm thinking maybe a quick rinse with PG, (hold upside down and blast with a syringe) leave them upside down for a bit and just go with that.

In any event, THANKS. I think I'm set.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Quick1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    Sounds like you are set! I Think you meant 70VG/30PG (common mistake) 70% PG is going to be very thin!
    No, I meant 70%PG :). For years I did 100%VG and some months ago I started going more PG. All the way to doing 100%PG for a while but I think it was a bit too "dry". So currently I'm back to 70%PG. (none of my stuff ever leaked).

Since I got back to the forums it seems the current trend is towards high VG juice. Many years ago when things were getting started pretty much everything was predominantly PG. Now it seems reversed with most being predominantly VG. (excluding people who are/were allergic to one or the other).

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    It's been a while since I've been active on the forums. Vaping exclusively since 2010.
    Given the current situation I'm hoping the DIY people have put together something like a "starter kit"?

I'm pretty knowledgeable about vaping in general.
    For the last five years or so I've been doing rebuildable RDAs (Metal Madness mechanicals, and lately iJoy eXo using Sxmini mods). Also tried and bought a bunch of FreeMax mesh pro tanks and replacement coils (ss) -- yea, not rebuildable but as good as the eXo's, just different. So I guess I'm a sub-ohm vaper. I think I have all the mechanical/hardware stuff covered. So I need to cover the e-liquid. I can mix, I've got scales and understand that stuff but never did it from scratch. I'm not looking for process at the moment but raw supplies. I aware of handling risks with nics over 40/50% concentration.

I've always done tobacco flavors. Pretty much DeKang. My everyday vape for 7 years now has been DK-TAB. Did a bit of 555, etc. but 90% of my vaping has been DK-TAB. Started 100% VG, have gone 100% PG, and currently something like 70% PG 30% VG.

Given all that what I'm looking for is a compiled guide. Something where someone has done all the work and investigation. Something with specifics maybe. Money is not limitless so a factor, but a minor factor. I'd prefer sources with independently certified product.

Something like:
    Here is where to get VG base. buy in this quantity and store this way. It has a shelf life of x years.
    Here is where to get PG base. ...
    Here is where to get nicotine liquid in this concentration. ...
    Here is where to get flavors.
    Buy these gallon jugs for storage, get these things for mixing, etc.

I'm assuming the flavors will be the least well defined and require trial and error on my part.

Anything like this already put together?
    (doh.. I'm in the US)

Take a look at my blog here on ECF
    dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

It has resources for DIY supply's and lots of how-to's regarding DIY.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Thanks everybody!

I spent about a full day browsing. I think the main DIY thread I used (first one referenced above) was a few years old but recommendations still looked solid -- I went with LNW as a reputable/quality supplier.

• 2 liters 100mg nic (pg). should get me 10 yrs or so down the road if it happens to become impossible to obtain more.
    • 1 boatload of glass from specialtybottle.com. Lol, 50ml blue for 1L nic, 32oz ambers for the other 1L nic, 100ml greens for mixed eliquids, ...
    • 1 gal PG. will probably do 70pg/30vg liquids and figured I wanted more than 1 liter on hand and you might as well get a gallon for just a little more cost than 2 liters. ...only ordered 4 32oz bottles. should have got more so I can store everything in glass...
    • 2 liters VG.
    • beakers, syringes, even a couple of cylinders, 500g x 0.01g scale
    • Found Tab Blended Flavor (HS) at Nicotine Giant. I'm really hoping this is (or is almost the same as) DeKang DK-Tab. ...they only had 24 10ml so I grabbed 5 just in case. Strange that one of the most popular pre-mixed flavors in the world is so hard to find flavoring for DIY.
    • Hahaha, dedicated mini fridge&freezer from Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-K...-Fridge-with-Freezer-Stainless-Steel/49660449. I probably should have just got the 1.1CuFt freezer for just the nic (w/lock) but my kids are grown and I wanted a dedicated freezer AND fridge. Seems there could be some downsides to storing eliquid cold but I like the idea of constant temp... One thing about this fridge/freezer. There are maybe a dozen brands (each with their own price) and all the pics look exactly the same. Looks like a single manufacturer and they just brand it.
    One thing no one mentioned (or I missed it). How do you clean your glass? Or do you really need to bother? Rinsing with water... but it's going to take forever to dry. I'm figuring nothing really grows in PG right? and since I have a whole gallon of it I'm thinking maybe a quick rinse with PG, (hold upside down and blast with a syringe) leave them upside down for a bit and just go with that.

In any event, THANKS. I think I'm set.

Are you referring to glass bottles?

If so, I was in hot soapy water. I boils to sterilize them and set them on a clean towel upside down. They dry really fast after that.

Reactions: Quick1

Quick1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    Last thing. DeKang DK-Tab flavoring...
    I've ordered some Hangsen Tab Blended Flavor. I'm hoping it's the same or close enough. I searched the "DIY e-liquid clone" threads (and pretty much the whole internet...). Failed to find anything for DeKang DK-Tab flavor. I take it that DeKang doesn't sell their flavoring? And I'm hoping that the Hangsen flavor is close enough to explain no one cloning DeKang DK-Tab?

(I'm surprised because I was under the impression DeKang DK-Tab is/was one of the all time best sellers)

Reactions: smacuser
    Best tobacco flavor EVER is the Kentucky NET from Drakes Eliquids..! This is very authentic dark tobacco flavor unlike any of those other flavors that i have tried. After searching for a year, i didnt think i would find any really good DIY tobacco flavors, and had gotten used to the regular stuff. Then i talked to some people in the "DIY Tobacco E Juice" FB group, and they told me about Drakes Eliquids. I have only tried 3 of them (Kentucky, American Blend, and Havanna), and they were all pretty decent compared to other tobacco flavors, but the Kentucky is the only one that YOU HAVE TO TRY!!! Dont miss out on this! It is both premixed juice and DIY flavor extracts - and it will make you forget about ALL those regular "tobacco" flavors, that dont REALLY remind of tobacco.

Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    So you have tried the Hangsen Tab Blended flavoring in your DIY? and...
    I found I liked it quite a bit and have made it as a stand alone a few times; I still enjoy it. Once I found the Favorite Tobacco Flavoring Discussion thread, Tab Blended kind of took a back seat to the other tobaccos in my rotation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread