Wood DIY "E-Pipe" made from a 2x4 (18650 mech mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
Wanted a pipe mod, but nothing out there (that looks like a wooden pipe) was made for a 18650 battery, so I took it upon myself to make a 18650 mech out of a block of wood.

Concept:
ivifmf.png

Blocking it out:
w7bo79.png

A little shaping:
vsf0oz.png

Custom pipe shaping machine (clamp used to control the speed):
5cc2uf.jpg

More shaping and sanding:
2ajbzwj.png

Then this happened drilling the switch hole.... :
5y7mok.jpg

Wood glue clamped overnight, wiring finished, and more sanding:
33msqba.png

Hits like an 18650 tube mod, and I honestly don't notice much of a difference (vapor-wise) between the two. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Last edited:

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
Update:

I sanded it down with 300, then 600 grit to smooth it out.

Got a coat of stain, and 1 coat of poly (2 to go) on it, and it's looking pretty nice!

4l0oie.jpg

I'll sand the poly with 600 grit emery cloth and give it another coat tonight.

I also painted the bowl and rim black to give it that authentic pipe look.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Wanted a pipe mod, but nothing out there (that looks like a wooden pipe) was made for a 18650 battery, so I took it upon myself to make a 18650 mech out of a block of wood.

Wood glue clamped overnight, wiring finished, and more sanding:
33msqba.png

Hits like an 18650 tube mod, and I honestly don't notice much of a difference (vapor-wise) between the two. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Wow! I love this piece! I love the way it fits into your hand. Love the shape and size in general.

I am not a pipe user but if I were I would like one just like this.

Reactions: JoeVan

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
The badassery in this thread is totally badass!

-Le$$Money

Thanks! Speaking of "LessMoney" this whole project cost around $25 (including a $13 Samsung 18650 battery, a $7 switch, and the $5 Fat Daddy connector). The rest I had in my shop (2x4, polyurethane, dark cherry stain).

Had I bought all the necessary part online, I could have made it for $15.

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
Project is done! 6 coats of polyurethane later, she's shining like a diamond in a goat's ....

Fabricated a little pipe stand for it, too (some tanks don't like being turned sideways).

5cygpe.jpg

(I am addressing the gap at the 510)

I'm overall VERY pleased with the results.

I charge it with a 510/E-Go adapter, and an E-Go charger, which conveniently cuts off at 4.2V, and works great on this battery (to my surprise).

For me, it's good. For someone else, there's room for improvement (mainly in the charging mechanism). I would want to improve on how it's charged to make it plug and play, and use a better wood. But for a proof of concept, this turned out better than I could have imagined.

Last edited:

KillerWhiteRhino

Nov 15, 2015
Freight Train Mods has one, and only one model but they're super expensive. Here's his link: Custom Options
Smaug is the only one. They're currently oversold and not taking any orders, which tells me people love them.

I'm currently in prototype mode on a regulated wood pipe 18650 mod with a DNA40 chip in it, I plan on taking to market. I have searched and couldn't find anything I wanted so I figured why not build it. I know there's tons of capers that would love a nice pipe mod and not have to sacrifice dense clouds and horrible battery life. Awesome job on this mod!

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
Freight Train Mods has one, and only one model but they're super expensive. Here's his link: Custom Options
Smaug is the only one. They're currently oversold and not taking any orders, which tells me people love them.

I'm currently in prototype mode on a regulated wood pipe 18650 mod with a DNA40 chip in it, I plan on taking to market. I have searched and couldn't find anything I wanted so I figured why not build it. I know there's tons of capers that would love a nice pipe mod and not have to sacrifice dense clouds and horrible battery life. Awesome job on this mod!

That's the reason I build it, because I didn't want to sacrifice vapor for the form factor of a pipe (most pipes come with a tiny battery and a pen-style clearomizer).

I was puffing on a 0.2 build in a Silverplay on this thing last night, and it hit like a 18650 tube mod.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Reactions: 2buildawall

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
So the baby slept for a good long stretch last night, and I was able to make some real progress on the pipe. I de-soldered everything (because as a NOOB, I used solid copper wire at far too small a gauge) and re-did all the wiring with 18 gauge stranded copper wire.

Also got the switch put in, got some pieces epoxied in place, and got a little bit of shaping done on the neck while that was drying and clamped.

zxmof7.jpg

pa93p.jpg

2b6xqw.jpg

i5ymwk.jpg

She's actually (kinda) starting to look like a pipe! 8)

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
So this is what I started with last night..

2rnzmki.jpg

Did some shaping on the bowl.

I just freehanded it on the sander, and did what felt right.

2evrhnr.jpg

I'm happy with the results.

eap1g0.jpg

Still have some fine tuning, and fine sanding to do, and then a little finish work. For a rough out, I like it!

bradster

Jan 11, 2013
Australia
hi very interested in making my own e pipe also. I have a kamry k1000 but its crap. and my favourite tank at the moment is a subtank mini at 0.5 ohms. so needless to say I cant use it.

what parts do I require ie switch, spring, connector etc and where to buy them from.
would like to try a simple mech mod like yours to start with and if all goes good experiment with a dna30 or 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread