DIY mech questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Looking at potentially making my own mech.... Possibly a box, unregulated.... Parallel 18650, I think....
In my browsing here, I see MOSFETs and side switches are the norm, why not the bottom, tube mech style?
Parallel gets me the ability to build lower than a single mech, correct? Series increases the voltage, correct?
If going going bottom button style in a non-conductive box, the only wiring required would be from the switch/button to the body of the 510 connector, correct? What gauge wire would be suitable?
Are there other "problem" areas or concerns I'm missing? I doubt I'll be building anytime soon, just looking for info right now....
Thanks

K3nn0Q

Aug 2, 2014
Columbus, OH, USA
MOSFETs and side switches are the norm for boxe,s since the MOSFET takes the load; enabling you to use any switch you want
Parallel does let you build lower, and series increases the voltage - that is correct
If you're insisting on going "mechanical" bottom button beware of auto-firing when you set the box down, and that the button is rated for what you want to push amperage-wise
14AWG is usually suitable, you could even go 12 or 10 if you are trying to go really low ohms/high amps

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Or you can make a fully mechanical switch! Even better! :D
My initial thoughts were to repurpose the button from my 4nine, somehow....

Didn't think about autofiring, would have to look at comfort with a recessed button or something....
I'll figure something out.... Looking at something that can be fixed/repaired without requiring a trip to the store or spare parts, if possible....

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
My initial thoughts were to repurpose the button from my 4nine, somehow....

Didn't think about autofiring, would have to look at comfort with a recessed button or something....
I'll figure something out.... Looking at something that can be fixed/repaired without requiring a trip to the store or spare parts, if possible....

like on the kato:
1910202-1.jpg

Last edited:

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
My initial thought (if I can't envision something, I don't bother researching it more) was to take a copper strip, solder it to the contact side of the 4nine button so the new "button" contacts the negative end on both batteries, doing something similar to the positive contact pin for the connector to contact both positive battery ends and running a wire from the button and contact strip to the negative contact point of the connector....
It needs a bit of refinement to ensure proper contact, smooth motion and no shorts, in addition to no autofiring with a bottom button....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread