DIY Nicotine Base Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varrot

Nov 29, 2015
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first batch of stuff for DIY. I was reading through the forums and pretty sure I made a mistake on what nicotine base to get.

I want the final strength to be 6mg/ml of nicotine. Ipurchased 6mg E-Liquid Nicotine
I bought 1 liter at 50/50 pg/vg. If I am reading the threads correctly, this means I can't mix any additional pg or vg in it or else it would lower the nicotine level, correct? So I should just use this solution as-is and just add flavoring? The flavoring will lower the nicotine level some, but not a ton I would imagine.
I am pretty sure I understand it now after researching, but figured it a good idea to ask anyways!

Thanks in advance!!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first batch of stuff for DIY. I was reading through the forums and pretty sure I made a mistake on what nicotine base to get.

I want the final strength to be 6mg/ml of nicotine. Ipurchased 6mg E-Liquid Nicotine
I bought 1 liter at 50/50 pg/vg. If I am reading the threads correctly, this means I can't mix any additional pg or vg in it or else it would lower the nicotine level, correct? So I should just use this solution as-is and just add flavoring? The flavoring will lower the nicotine level some, but not a ton I would imagine.
I am pretty sure I understand it now after researching, but figured it a good idea to ask anyways!

Thanks in advance!!
Hello and welcome to diy.

Yes, you are correct. Since the majority of flavor used is around the 10% mark and lower it will lower the nic strength a bit but I dont think you will be able to tell much of a difference. The larger the bottle mixed the lower the nic strength will be, but if you start out with mixing a 30ml bottle or lower you should be fine.

:)

• Useful
Reactions: NatashaTMT

Varrot

Nov 29, 2015
Yes, but you can add more nic &/or VG if you have available.
Hello and welcome to diy.

Yes, you are correct. Since the majority of flavor used is around the 10% mark and lower it will lower the nic strength a bit but I dont think you will be able to tell much of a difference. The larger the bottle mixed the lower the nic strength will be, but if you start out with mixing a 30ml bottle or lower you should be fine.

:)
Gotcha! Yeah, I ordered some 15 ml bottles to start. Figure that way I can play with ratios and not waste too much if I mess it up. Gonna save my 30 ml glass bottles in the meantime

Varrot

Nov 29, 2015
Yes, but you can add more nic &/or VG if you have available.
I did order 1 liter of pg and 1 liter of vg. I only ordered the 6mg/ml nicotine base for now since I wasn't sure. Figure I will just use that by itself while I wait for a higher strength nicotine base to come. Wanted to hear from you all before ordering that though haha

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I get 100mg nic. That gives you a lot of flexibility. Lets you change the ratio of PG to VG as well as the final nic %.

Now I mix fairly large quantities of base at 7mg, then add flavors. The final mix will have less than 7mg nic, I couldn't tell the difference anyway. So you should be fine with what you've got. Later you can experiment and change things around. Probably best to keep it simple when you first start anyway, that what I did.

Last edited:

Varrot

Nov 29, 2015
I get 100mg nic. That gives you a lot of flexibility. Lets you change the ratio of PG to VG as well as the final nic %.

Now I mix fairly large quantities of base at 7%, then add flavors. The final mix will have less than 7% nic, I couldn't tell the difference anyway. So you should be fine with what you've got. Later you can experiment and change things around. Probably best to keep it simple when you first start anyway, that what I did.
That's what I was thinking too with the higher nic level. Figure I can use one of the calculators they have out there and that should help bring it down to where I want

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
That's what I was thinking too with the higher nic level. Figure I can use one of the calculators they have out there and that should help bring it down to where I want

There are some good calculators out there. Depends on how accurate you want to be. Like I said I make base at 7mg and add flavors. If you do it that way the final nic level changes depending on how much flavoring you add. Some folks like to be precise. The PG / VG ratio will vary a little too, most flavors come in PG, some come in VG or alcohol.

By the way, I edited my previous post. I absent mindedly talked about 7% nic when I meant 7mg. Not the same.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I always use 100 mg nic, because first, it’s easy to make any strength, and second, it’s easy to make any pg/vg ratio, and third, it’s easy to freeze a bunch.

Do get and use a juice calculator. Also, do use accurate measurements. This is not cooking, where a pinch of this and a dash of that will work.

If you add 5% flavor your nic should be 5.7 mg/ml, 10% would put you at 5.4. ( I think. My math is sketchy this morning lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread