DIY passthrough fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lady9ball

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Iowa
A couple of weeks ago I was sitting at work, vaping away on my passthrough when all of a sudden it just quit working. I fiddled and fidgeted with it, unplugged, replugged, changed USB ports, rebooted - nothing worked. So of course, I panicked as I am prone to do when it comes to e-cig hardware issues.

I set it aside and sent Mark an email. A few hours later I tried it again and it worked! So I sent Mark another email to cancel my earlier complaint. And it's been fine ever since.. until...

Fast forward to last night: Because we are having assorted battery issues (all being addressed by the fine folks at V4L!) I had to watch movies with my laptop and passthrough next to me. It was working fine one minute, and then suddenly stopped responding at all.

I did all of the same things as before, and also tried it on my desktop PC - it started out that it would work with some fiddling - I could hold it up to my ear and *gently* tug and twist the wires in the "ash" end and get some results. But today even that isn't working.

It seems obvious to me that something is loose inside and I'm wondering if I would be able to take it apart without completely ruining it and find some way to fix the bad connection? I really don't want to ask for a replacement - they are already sending me auto and manual battery replacements and I feel like I'm taking advantage of their fantastic customer service by asking for anything else. I would rather try to fix this myself, if possible, even if it means trying my hand at soldering.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what do you think I might need to do to fix?

DanF

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
North of Houston
Well, the soldered ends are all the way down at the top of the threaded end. Would be very difficult(impossible) to solder from the ash end. The only way would be finding a way to remove the threaded end from the passthrough, which seems very difficult.

I had one die on me, so after getting a replacement I decided to tear it apart. Even with pliers I could not get the threaded end out of the tube, plus I destroyed the threads completely.

lady9ball

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Iowa
Well, the soldered ends are all the way down at the top of the threaded end. Would be very difficult(impossible) to solder from the ash end. The only way would be finding a way to remove the threaded end from the passthrough, which seems very difficult.

I had one die on me, so after getting a replacement I decided to tear it apart. Even with pliers I could not get the threaded end out of the tube, plus I destroyed the threads completely.

Oh no this is not good news. I am currently at work with 1 (yes ONE) battery! I am having to keep it on the charger, take it off to vape a couple puffs, and then put it back. I can't imagine how I'm going to get through the next couple of days before my order arrives (please USPS don't fail me now!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread