Status
Not open for further replies.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I think the actuator size, at least the length, depends on the design of the PV you are building (tube mod, box, mod, ect.). As you know, the on-board switches are not at the same height level on the board. The diameter of the actuator is only bounded by the diameter of the on-board switch activation pads. So many variables come into play, just depends on your design....

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Right again. But is there a recommended style? Maybe the manufacturer and part number of the actual buttons so I can cross reference to get the actuators that would work for both my design and the switches…

I'm not sure what your asking for exists. Did you contact Evolv? They have been great in communicating with me on any question I have had.

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
Are you speaking of some sort of mass produced button that will actuate and utilize the button that is pre installed onto the board of the dna20 if so there is not really such a thing unless you have it produced for your specific mod because not all mods will have the same distance between the surface and where the board is actually mounted inside the mod. If your looking for one that you can solder to the board itself one within the specs of the data sheet would work "Use a momentary on, normally open type switch or button. A standard pushbutton switch is appropriate. The switch is a logic function – all power switching is handled with transistors inside the dna module, so the switch does not need to be rated for power. A waterproof or processed sealed switch is recommended." Basically all this depends on you the mod your building.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Just as an FYI....I was going to try and use the on board buttons, but they are short travel and don't require much force....so there wasn't a lot feel in the buttons. That combined with the short screen cable and trying to work out a place for the screen that I liked and use the on board buttons was a huge PITA. So I'm going to use tact switches like most everyone I have seen.

Scottua25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
Southern Va
OK, I can make the mod to fit whatever actuator I want. There are tons of tactile switches (which i assume is what they used) that recommend an actuator to be used with that switch. Some of these actuators actually clip onto the switch itself. I have a design that is completely modeled and ready for production complete with custom switch actuators (buttons). These buttons are relatively small and will most likely cost more to have machined than a mass produced button made for the switches evolv used on the board. It's not really a big deal to change the design enough to use a mass produced button if I can find a suitable one. Without knowing what my options are I can't know if i'm making the most cost effective choice.

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
Unless your going to mass produce say 100 or more units component and small part production costs alone could derail any thoughts of said mass production....... I've already sniffed around that tree and it has come up as a invalid option for a person with my capital....... Which is not much lol. But hey if you have a few grand in your pocket you could be onto something.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I plan on using a .45cal shell casing as my button with mine. Just sayin. If I can use this, you can use whatever button pad you want.

Dougiestyle I'm actually waiting for my dad to bring me some 9mm and .223 brass for my switch cover hoping one of them will be the perfect size.

I'm hoping you guys never plan on flying with those mods. TSA will NOT be amused, and they WILL confiscate them, and probably charge you with some made-up infraction.

Something to think about..

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm hoping you guys never plan on flying with those mods. TSA will NOT be amused, and they WILL confiscate them, and probably charge you with some made-up infraction.

TSA's never amused with anything lol. I never fly, anyway. I do plan on skydiving this spring/summer tho! Maybe catch a vape during freefall!

Totally off topic... Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA

Stereodreamer I wouldn't even think about bringing any mod box to the airport. To many questions to answer and the fact that it kind of already looks like a bomb is not worth the hassle. One of the couple reasons why I own a Provari ;)

I flew from Indiana to JFK then on to Athens for a cruise then back home in October. I took Minxy, Lexi, and Denali fully loaded with batts plus my Bliss RBA in my carry-on. The only thing I did was remove the Bliss from the mod and put it in a separate baggie when going through security (only cuz it had juice in it). Not one question, not one security hiccup there or back.

Last edited:

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
Mamu Once I get my mods to look as professionally built as yours do i'd consider it. My box just looks too homemade and bomb like lol. Also being a young ,fully tattooed, bald headed individual has some distinct drawbacks when any type of law enforcement is involved. I'd rather play it safe and make my life easier by just avoiding the situation to begin with :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread