The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

DNA20 Help!

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by negrete35, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. negrete35

negrete35 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    OK, so I messed up one of my chips. I tore part of the ribbon and pulled off the whole ribbon from the board. Let's not talk about it :face palm: But, I manage to reattach the ribbon to the board. But I can't repair the tear in the ribbon. After reattaching the ribbon, I held a battery to the terminals. The whole screen "seems" to be working fine. Does anyone know if I can try to just reuse the chip as is, or will that tear in the ribbon cause issues? Any info would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]
    Reattached
    [​IMG]
    Tear
    [​IMG]
    "Seeming" to work fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

2. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Looking at the tear, it seems to be just the outermost wire or connection or terminal or whatever its called, is the only one that is tore.

3. rolf

rolf Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    spokane wa
    negrete!
    looks like you can still use it . ...what I did on my first dna20 is ...I have some real lite fiberglass used two layers wetted w epoxy resin on some plastic and cut to about one quarter inch wide than peeled of w tweezers and put on the cables .massage w tooth pick to the boards edge and bend back and put onto the transducer to harden . worked great and just done my second board that way to.nice and stable to handle.
    how far are you from Spokane ? mabe I can help you ...rolf
    ps be careful w to much epoxy not to be on the soldering holes !!

4. xpen

xpen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Italy
    First off, bravo! for your soldering skills :)

If it works now, I'd think it will keep on going unless you apply too much strain to the cable/display.. But I wouldn't bet on long term effects, though.

Evolv seems to be very supportive - and forgiving - with modders happening to break the display (they do know it's the DNA20D weak point), so if I were you I'd try contacting Brandon and see if they're available to come to the rescue...

In a few cases known to me they've replaced the damaged board with a new one, no questions asked. Their support is always excellent, another good reason for me to love them and their products ;-)

5. xpen

xpen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Italy
    Mamu and Bapgood always recommend to put a dab of superglue between the ribbon cable and the board, first thing to do before starting working on it.

6. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Thanks Rolf. I am in Boise. So, a ways from Spokane. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to cause problems, with that connection on the ribbon not being made.

7. turbocad6

turbocad6 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2011
    brooklyn ny
    I would say that if that trace was used then you'd know it by the display not functioning correctly. since it's working fine it's obviously getting all it needs to do so, so there is no problem leaving it with that trace cut. just insulate it and if it seems that it is a starting point for further tearing then def reinforce that area a bit so it doesn't split further, other than that it seems fine, good to go :)

8. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Well, what had happened was, I had to tear down my first mod because of connection issues with the battery. I built it into a small sealed wooden box. So to open it, I had to break open the box. So now I had to pull out the DNA 20 to put it into another box. But it was hard to get it out of the hot glue. First it came off the board. I wasn't too worried then, but when I had to finish getting the screen out of the hot glue, well it tore some. But I reattached the ribbon and went to see what would be missing off the screen, it was all there.

9. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Is it common for there to be a connection like that and not have it being used for anything? I don't have any useful knowledge on the subject and am very new to working with wires and all that jazz. Lol. In fact, that DNA was the first time I ever soldered anything.

10. turbocad6

turbocad6 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2011
    brooklyn ny
    can't really say weather it's common or not, but there are many instances of ribbons not utilizing all of the traces.

11. retird

retird Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    North Side
    In your picture you show the display lighted up....have you used the on board switches to see if the wattage goes up/down and the fire button works (without an atty connected you should get an error message....) If all that works you could be ok....

I do have a 20d display with the ribbon cable that is detached from the board and I won't be needing it....will be happy to send it to you should you need to unsolder your ribbon and would want to tackle resoldering the one I could give you....

I forwarded your pics to Evolv and ask if that damaged trace is necessary......will post their answer when I receive it...

12. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Thanks for both contacting Evolve and for the offer for the replacement screen. I checked all the onboard buttons. Seems to work properly. Also got the error without the Atty and full readings and function with Atty.

13. retird

Dec 31, 2010
    North Side
    My best guess is you should be good......

Update: found out the broken trace on your ribbon is necessary.....

14. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Thanks guys. I will sure up the connection to the board with some super glue and patch up the ribbon to prevent further tearing.

15. retird

Dec 31, 2010
    North Side
    Got a response from Evolv....I've sent you a PM.....

16. mamu

mamu Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    I had a cable tear similar to the one you have, but not quite as deep. Mine is working ok. If it's working aok now and correctly displaying you may be good to go. But what I've noticed with some of these bugaboos is after a few days the display starts acting funky, then blanks out. So just keep an eye on it.

This is true, but it was retird's tip to use the super glue. I would never have thought of something as simple or as effective. :laugh:

17. bapgood

bapgood Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2012
    Utah
    I'm curious to hear what they said

I got the below from here (no spaces) - a l i e x p r e s s.com/store/product/0-69-inch-blue-96x16-OLED-panel-OLED-screen-OLED/805369_384367009.html

Looks like a positive voltage supply of some sort???

[​IMG]

18. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    So, retird got back to me and told me that the trace is needed. He also said that evolv will send out another. I'm not sure if its the whole thing or just the screen but either way, that's pretty cool. Big thanks to retird for all the help with everything.

But, just out of curiosity, why would it still be functioning without that trace, and what are the consequences of continual use with the broken trace? All just curiosity though. Thanks everyone.

19. retird

Dec 31, 2010
    North Side
    My question to Brandon basically was:

A modder damaged the ribbon cable......display still lights up.....see attached pictures.....are outside ribbon traces necessary?

He answered that they are necessary.....

I didn't want/ask for a detailed explanation of the circuitry....

And we all know how great the customer service is a Evolv and you need not think too hard to know what Brandon is going to do in this case...... ;););)

20. negrete35

Aug 28, 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Huh, OK. I'm not the engineer. Lol. But it is cool that he said he would send out a replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.