Do coils go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
I do like to build coils, but once in a while I hit on a great coil build that I want to keep for an extended period of time. Assuming the leads do not break and the coil itself retains form, is there any other reason to replace it after so many days or weeks? Of course, outside of wanting to tinker and put in a new coil for the heck of it -- just trying to understand if coils themselves start to degrade in performance over time.

Thanks!

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
I change wicks often, but I'm still working on the same set of coils in my Tobh that I put on 2 months ago...and I hit it hard everyday. 24ga, dual parallel wrapped to 0.15 ohm vaped on 32A 26650 Efest batteries. I have yet to register a noticeable degradation in ohm or vape. I guess changing the wick often helps...and cleaning them with a small stainless steel bottle brush every couple of days, too. Rinse in water, then in Everclear, burn them off, then brush...keeps them in good working order.

If I want to play around with other wraps, I have other RDAs to use...but the Tobh and the coils on it are a constant.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
-- just trying to understand if coils themselves start to degrade in performance over time.

Thanks!
Kanthal does wears out. When heated, Kanthal wire (iron-chromium-aluminum) builds up an aluminum oxide thermally conductive coating on it's outside surface that protects the individual coils from shorting, one to another. This is called alumina (Al2O3).

Once the aluminum content diminishes to the point where that oxidation resistant, electrically resistive and anti-corrosive alumina layer isn't produced... all that remains is iron and chromium oxide.

Exposure & contamination degradation, inconsistent heating, increased resistance and ultimate wire failure aren't far behind. Chances are, you'll see the blackened, pitted wire or perhaps even taste the iron, long before that failure occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread