Do I really need a mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Price

Oct 25, 2013
Aspen, CO
I just started vaping again about 2 months ago. Last go around was I stayed on a 510 kit on and off for a few years, while only quitting smoking for a about a few months at time. This go around I've been constantly upgrading. Right now I use a cheap vv/vw mod (SID) on high resistance clearomizers. I have so far not gotten a mechanical mod, but have been seeing cheaper ones out there, getting me more curious. I was wondering what benefits I would have using a mechanical mod and what equipment I should buy for a good experience. As of right now, I'm not sure if it would even fit my current vaping style. Let me know your experiences.

boathook

Oct 27, 2013
Upstate NY
For me, there are only a few advantages to a mech (And this is my personal list, so take it for what it is)

1. No circuit board to break. I've fried a lot of circuit boards in my life. I'd hate to be unable to vape just because I did it to my e-cig.
2. Smaller footprint. I have the KTS+ and in 18650 mode it's small, in 18350 mode the atomizer is almost taller than the mod. I like that it's compact.
3. Ability to sub-ohm. I've built exactly one sub-ohm setup. Since then I've just gone to using microcoils at about 1.5-Ohm and throwing them onto the Vamo at full power. Sub-Ohm is not a huge factor for me, but it's there.
4. Cheap as ever. My KTS+ cost me something like $27 to my door. I ordered up a Sentinel M16 clone from FT the other day for $11.54. If I'm going to go out and about, I'd feel a lot better about losing/breaking a $12 mech than a $40-$100 VV/VW.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Mech mods are unregulated and is meant to be used for sub ohm vaping
No there not, they were out long before sub ohm building was, I use a carto tank on mine, I don't even own an RBA or RDA. The main reason I use a mech mod is there bullet proof, no circuit boards to go out, no wire to break, just clean it once a week with Isopropyl Alcohol and it works great.

If used incorrectly a mech mod can be dangerous
That applies to ANY mod, not just mechs.

Blueser

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
Diddy Wah Diddy, USA
No there not, they were out long before sub ohm building was, I use a carto tank on mine, I don't even own an RBA or RDA. The main reason I use a mech mod is there bullet proof, no circuit boards to go out, no wire to break, just clean it once a week with Isopropyl Alcohol and it works great.

This...TY...got a Nem clone coming in the mail tomorrow, was planning on popping my KFL with a 1.8ohm coil. I got her ready to go.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Before getting a mech mod, it's very important to do your homework. Read the rechargeable batteries page, Baditude's blogs, read up on mechanical mod safety, watch some videos on mechanical maintenance, own a multimeter and use it to regularly test your batteries, atomizers, and mod. Remember, with a mech mod, you're the safety feature. If you're going to do it, do it carefully. :thumb:

1. No circuit board to break. I've fried a lot of circuit boards in my life. I'd hate to be unable to vape just because I did it to my e-cig....
4. Cheap as ever. My KTS+ cost me something like $27 to my door. I ordered up a Sentinel M16 clone from FT the other day for $11.54. If I'm going to go out and about, I'd feel a lot better about losing/breaking a $12 mech than a $40-$100 VV/VW.
Both of these were factors in my choice when I got mechs first. I also like the aesthetics. :thumb:

If used incorrectly a mech mod can be dangerous
Agreed with all of the above.

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee
My experience started with the Ego batteries which didn't handle the extended use or abuse (I'm rough on everything). Moving into the Mods was tiring; such as fixing the switch that gave out or the 510 that worn beyond holding, mechanical or non-mechanical. You get what your able to afford and keep vaping on. Currently using a reliable mechanical mod that stays "Kicked" which has been trouble free now since August. I've tromped it within the gravel, been covered with grease/oil/grimes, and occasional just lost the grip. Making it another year now without buying another APV is a sure thing. PS: plain and simple reminder to myself, a tool for vaping not driving nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread