Do you guys get pop up ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
IT tech support here. sounds like malware, depending on which infection (almost irrelevent not days unless its a band new one that just came out) it could be tough to remove without assistance. now there are so many tools made to remove the infections, i second the download and run malwarebytes anti-malware (Mbam), you dont need to use the free trial or purchase it for the realtime scanner, just install, let it run a quick scan (depending on how much stuff you have can take 5 minutes to a half hour.. longest i have had it take was 3 hours with a computer using 4 terabytes of storage space), and it will list what it can find. then check what you want removed and it may ask you to restart your computer, allow it and it will finish and should remove the infection. if not there are a few forums out there that offer good tech support for free (not sure ECF wants me to say which ones, or offer tech support on here, so ill leave my comment off here).

Thanks! I just ran a scan, and two pieces of malware were found. A bit frustrating because I now have 3 forms of antivirus. Avast (paid version), Microsoft Essentials, and Malwarebytes. Each program found multiple things that the other missed. Makes me wonder if anything else is lurking. Thanks guys!

Topdogie01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Illinois, United States
Thanks! I just ran a scan, and two pieces of malware were found. A bit frustrating because I now have 3 forms of antivirus. Avast (paid version), Microsoft Essentials, and Malwarebytes. Each program found multiple things that the other missed. Makes me wonder if anything else is lurking. Thanks guys!

Malwarebytes is pretty thorough. Currently I know of only 3 things that can hide from it, and what you described does not fit them.

Malwatebytes doesn't need to be running all the time. (Unless you bought the paid version for real time scanning) just run it once a month when you normally run your other matience. (You DO run monthly matience right? Defrag (not needed with solid state drives), disk cleanup. Virus scans, ect.) If you think there may be an issue run it sooner.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Crap. Sorry man but not with certainty. One was labeled 'youtubeadblocker' ironically enough. The other was recognized as a trojan. It was called 'safeand....something.'

Malwarebytes keeps a log of what it finds. If you fire it up, you should be able to see what it found and the final disposition of the actions taken.

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010

Two or more real-time antivirus used simultaneously is not advisable. Many informational resources readily available such as --

Regardless of version(s):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...sentials/fc762c19-e388-4774-9d86-a58aced27a9d

An antivirus with Malwarebytes free, stand alone, on demand, is no problem.

Malwarebytes Pro (real-time) reported success using exclusions :

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/e...ytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread