Do you take a drag (inhale) while pressing the button?

Take a drag while pressing the button?

• No: I let go of the button, then take a drag

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Don't know who you are seeing as the OP but it's not JimVDP, it's JackTKD.

I was hoping to be funny, not mean, but it could've been slightly mean, perhaps I didn't understand the poll correctly, but there wasn't much I could do about it after that.

MOAR coffee??? LOL but I see the confusion, the names look similar....

Anna

The OP (which stands for opening post) I am seeing is the same as you - JACK

yet JIM, in one of his posts, said he created this thread.

In most forums the OP is synonymous with the creator of the thread, as most forums don't allow you to create a thread without also making the opening post - the lead in if you will, as to what the thread creator is trying to learn or impart to the readers.

This is where my confusion lies - because someone who is not the OP said they created this thread while at the same time the OP walked off in a huff as to the response of posters to the thread.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm thinking "opened" meant "clicked on to open" not thread opener, but I could be totally wrong. I read it in that context due to his confusion about the time periods in the threads, when thinking that perhaps the OP was going to talk about 1 or 2 second ramp up delays, but the poll itself is confusing. I literally don't understand pressing the button for 30 seconds THEN inhaling, let alone NOT pressing the button WHEN inhaling. That's how I read it anyway, I think... But yeah, open is one of those contextual words in some cases.... So I don't think he was trying to say he created it...

Anna

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
The OP (which stands for opening post) I am seeing is the same as you - JACK

yet JIM, in one of his posts, said he created this thread.

In most forums the OP is synonymous with the creator of the thread, as most forums don't allow you to create a thread without also making the opening post - the lead in if you will, as to what the thread creator is trying to learn or impart to the readers.

This is where my confusion lies - because someone who is not the OP said they created this thread while at the same time the OP walked off in a huff as to the response of posters to the thread.

stols is correct... I said I opened the thread, as in to view or read; I dd not say I started or created the thread. While my phrasing was casual, it's common enough usage that you have to be trying pretty hard to hold on to your misconception in the face of multiple corrections. ;)

i too suspect a possible caffeine deficiency. Hope you're better now. :p

Still and all... I'll cop to throwing you for a loop. My bad. :oops:

eta: I got so caught up in this (opened the forum to six alerts for this thread) (and reminding myself what the Chevy comment was :p) that I completely missed that Jack did indeed... flounce. Poor showing, weak sauce, etc.

Dammit... I wanted an explanation. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
stols is correct... I said I opened the thread, as in to view or read; I dd not say I started or created the thread. While my phrasing was casual, it's common enough usage that you have to be trying pretty hard to hold on to your misconception in the face of multiple corrections. ;)

i too suspect a possible caffeine deficiency. Hope you're better now. :p

Still and all... I'll cop to throwing you for a loop. My bad. :oops:

eta: I got so caught up in this (opened the forum to six alerts for this thread) (and reminding myself what the Chevy comment was :p) that I completely missed that Jack did indeed... flounce. Poor showing, weak sauce, etc.

Dammit... I wanted an explanation. :D

First, I did not "hold on to my misconceptions in spite of multiple corrections". I was trying to explain why I was seeing what I was seeing and explain what I was seeing.

After the last correction on my possible misunderstanding as to what you said, precisely, I waited for you to see...

I still (post coffee) read your sentence as to you opened - aka began/created - the thread (hence the use of "opening post" to descibe the post which opened the topic up for discussion) but I can see how you can also use opened as in, clicked to read.

Anyway. . Misunderstandings are just that, misunderstandings and it's good to clear them up rather than run around confused all our lives. .

As far as why he left... he seems to have taken everything terribly personally.

However, now that I know he's the thread creator i think I will create a post in order to say something to him, should he ever come back as a guest to read what I say. . That is why I wanted to be certain as to who created the thread.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks for the (1st) helpful suggestion on what was meant as a simple straightforward yes no poll. tbh, I'm not so vested in this community making forum sparring worth my time. Ive already requested my account deletion. All the best :)

I am writing this in the hope you might someday read this post.

I don't believe anyone had any intention of turning your thread into a sparring match - however, what you suggested has implications.

Yes, jokes were made - but all kidding aside, people who are new to vaping (perhaps yourself included) need to know that we should be drawing air through the coil when we put power to it.

First, for the cooling aspect. You don't want a coil getting too hot. If a person doesn't have temperature control, the only thing keeping a coil from burning hotter and hotter is 1) airflow around the coil and 2) the length of time a coil is fired.

This continual heating of the coil is why most vaping devices have, as a SAFETY feature, a time limit on how long the fire button can be engaged, this is a safety feature both for the safety of the liion battery, as well as for the coil - you neither want to heat your coil to the point of burning your juice or to the point of burning your wicking material inside the coil.

While so long as there is juice on your cotton it won't burn as a general rule there is only so much there and too hot a temp will cause it to leave at a faster rate than can be properly wicked and much hotter it could potentially burn anyway..

Therefore, there are safety features in most mods. If your coil isn't warm enough at first go, then you can always take a puff without inhaling in order to heat the coil, then take a nice drag off your now warmer coil.

But to just sit and allow your coil to burn with no air for any length of time is not a good thing. Burnt juice and burnt cotton are not good for your lungs, and any one who inhales that repeatedly for any length of time will have problems.

This is why the safety features of temperature control is a good and positive thing, especially for new vapers. It won't allow you to burn either your juice or your wicking material. It shuts down first and keeps everything nicely regulated for you.

I don't know how true this is, but I once read that inhaling once on some burnt cotton is the tar equivalent of one cigarette - and we all quit cigarettes for this reason, to avoid the damage cigarettes cause. If you ever accidentally get a dry hit, however, you will put a lot of stock in the above statement as it is horrible, and not only in the way it tastes but also the way it feels in your throat and lungs.

When people make jokes about posts such as yours, it's often done out of surprise that anyone would willingly burn up their juice and heat their coil to dangerous temperatures prior to an inhale. It seems, on the surface to those vaping any length of time, to be an absurd thing to do purposefully.

It's not making fun of you, it's a knowledge based reaction to your suggestion that anyone would do such a thing. Although, TC was invented for a reason, and a lot of people benefit from safety features which saves them from the harm things like burning up your cotton and juice can cause.

I don't understand leaving the forum however. If you took it personally you shouldn't have. It's not personal at all, and no one attacked you personally.

Is it a good thing to know if someone out there is causing themselves harm? Absolutely yes. ..

But at the same time, we cannot promote for people to cause themselves the same harm. Rather, we can attempt to educate them so that vaping for them IS safer than smoking, and not potentially as harmful.

I hope that you vape safely. And I hope that you promote safe vaping to those around you.

I invite you to come back to the forum in order to learn more - and impart your knowledge as well. But vaping in a safe manner is important to us, both for our lungs, and our health, as well as for others too.

Last edited:

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
This is probably one of the THE most tolerant and friendly forums I have been on. Which is amazing considering the traffic it gets. They simply don't tolerate bashing or being mean, it is more of an educational type setting. If the couple of posts in this thread scared someone away I would be willing to say you are not ready for the internet yet lol.

As for the actual question, I would say the confusion is coming from the fact that I would say 99 percent of all people that vape press the button while they inhale. I tend to hit it right before I vape and hold it until I am done. A lot of people also take a "pre puff" before they actually inhale as well to heat the coil up. I have never heard of anyone firing the device, letting off the button and then vaping. So most of us are going to be scratching our heads and saying "why?". Whatever floats your boat I guess.

The only thing I could think of that would let you hold the button for more than 10 seconds would be a purely mechanical device. I wouldn't think it would be to great for your battery either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread