Does anyone know how long nicotine stays in the system from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmers

Unregistered Supplier
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
Mesa, AZ
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. I am getting ready to apply to a Respiratory Therapy program. I noticed in their enrollment paperwork that say at the end of the course (or slightly before) when you get ready to go out on clinicals they test you for tobacco/nicotine use. Don't get me started on the whole reasons of why I think this is wrong. I don't smoke or use tobacco, I vape and what I do on my own time shouldn't be anyone's business. Putting that aside, what should I worry about in a test? I am not a chain vapor, I use 18 mg nic when I vape and maybe vape 1 mg to 2 mg a day if that. I am what I would consider a light user. I vape a lot less than I ever smoked. So is there a time frame that I should start to drop down? Not vape? Not worry? Anyone that has any input I would truly appreciate it.

yanivriz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Israel
just a bit longer than smoking.
the half life of nicotine is around 45-60 minutes,thus a normal person will smoke a pack a day in order to maintain a regular constant blood nic level.

vapers tend to get a delay,because around 20% of the nicotine in vaping is absorbed by mouth mucus and saliva,thus only 80% hit the lungs-and blood stream imidiaitly,and the 20% rest will take around 10-15 minutes to seek in.
thus vapers have a slower loading dose and as well a slower lowering dose,creating a longer effective half life of the drug in the blood.

thus most vapers,unconchensly start thier vape with fast and frequant puffs to achive a quick loading dose,as obtained in ciggs,and later on vape more commly. wicht creats in general a higer dose of nicotine with in vapers then smokers,and visa verse,a longer period of nicotine it there system till half life arrives,and with it comes the next vaping cession.

hitman4274

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
south west florida
Nicotine's byproducts can stay in a system for up to 14-21 days, unfortunately. They are going to test you for the longer lasting metabolite of nicotine (ie: a breakdown product of nicotine) called "cotinine". So the half life of nicotine itself, doesn't matter.

Nicotine is found in way to many normal things people consume everyday for them to hold nicotine against you,

I would bet 100 of 100 people tested will test positive for nicotine... If I had to take a guess... It's found in all sorts of things... Like potatoes....

Which would be why they test for byproducts that last in your system longer?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Perhaps it is unethical and immoral to use anything other than a carbon monoxide testing machine (it looks like a breathalyser) to test for smokers, assuming that this is acceptable in the first place - perhaps for insurance purposes.

However these machines are expensive and it is cheaper for employers to use a cotinine/urine test. No one seems to use a nicotine/blood plasma test now.

The nicotine level in the blood will take around 24 hours or longer to fall to the level of the background 'noise'. To explain: smokers test out at from 10ng/ml to 50ng, and vapers normally test at a max of 40ng. Everyone tests positive for nicotine as it is a normal part of the diet. The background level is about 1- 2ng, for a non-smoker. Living with a smoker or eating very large amounts of nicotine-containing vegetables such as eggplant/aubergines might take that level up a bit.

Unfortunately the main nicotine metabolyte, cotinine, is easily detectable above background levels for several days, possibly two weeks. There are said to be ways of flushing it by certain dietary or pharmaceutical means (google: drug test pass kits).

If you need to pass your test then the only reliable way is to go cold turkey for at least two weeks, and make sure you drink plenty. Or choose an employer that has some respect for human rights or is intelligent enough to use an insurance company that knows the difference between smokers and other leisure users of nicotine.

Admittedly, it is a tough thing for insurers to decide on - look at it this way: a CO monitor detects smokers, so they can be excluded if that is acceptable. However any form of nicotine or cotinine test cannot tell you if the subject is a smoker or on NRT for example. And since there is a 95% probability or higher that a subject on NRTs will return to smoking, it is not unreasonable to consider them a smoker.

As yet there isn't a test that shows the subject is a Snus or e-cigarette user and therefore has little likelihood of any elevation of risk over a non-smoker.

The main issue for employers/insurers is the fact that subjects who register a strong positive in the cotinine test are either smokers, or on NRT and will therefore almost certainly be smokers again very soon. The likelihood of positive tests being for Snus or ecig users must be extremely small, currently.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I am about to have 3 discs fused in my back, and I have a world renowned surgeon who has patients flown in from around the globe. I have been told that nicotine inhibits tissue growth and I should eliminate nicotine consumption 90 days before surgery. Keeping in mind at the time of this conversation a couple of months ago I was reporting consuming 7-10 mls of 24mg juice per day. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread