Does anyone reliable make DNA20 box mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niagara

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Niagara
As a serious kayaker and now vaper, vaping on the water is a pain. I went through 2 Zmax and a Vamo last summer. I would love a Otterbox 1000 clear waterproof box made with a dna 20 box mod made for me that took 26650 batteries. I just need a waterproof exposed 510 connector and fire button.

EXTERIOR DIM: 4.84"L X 3.68"W X 1.63"H
INTERIOR DIM: 3.7"L X 2.4"W X 1"H

It doesn't need to be pretty inside, just sturdy. If someone could recommend someone to me I would appreciate it very much. I am surprised with the size of the boating world other water sports folk haven't created a demand for this form of waterproof vaping?

1000-01_full_70408.jpg

keighles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Maryland
If you can find all of the materials, I will put it together for you. You may be better off using a couple of flat lithium polymer batteries and getting the evolv usb charging port.

I'm not sure what to use for the 510 connector though. the ones I have are sealed but not around the outside.
And for safety issues you really should have some sort of vent in case of the battery goes super nova,(for gasses to escape). Maybe you could find some sort of check valve to vent possible gasses.

keighles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Maryland
That is pretty cool, like I said you buy the stuff and I'll build it for you the way you want it. I just don't want to except any liability for anything.

I haven't been modding for long but electronics and putting things together is what I do for a living. I have been around ECF for quite sometime. I have a lot of positive transactions through the classifieds.

You can also see my mod I did make in this section.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/376488-dna20d-tube-mod.html

Totally up to you, just let me know if and how you want to do it. Or if you want someone else to do it.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I thought that was Jolly, but looked last night and had my doubts. He hasn't been active for over a year and his site domain is for sale. I wouldn't use the DNA charger as that is a big hole for water to get in. An otter box opens and seals quite nicely so taking out the batts to charge is easy enough.

To help some with a parts list for the waterproofing part I would suggest:

A sealed 510 connector once installed and wired sealed again internally with marine grade epoxy like mamu uses. Here: VersaChem 47809 Plastic Welding

Gummybear found high amp (3 or 5A) waterproof boat switches. Again seal with the epoxy. Could be these, but I'm not 100% sure: 6pcs Waterproof Momentary Off on N O Car Boat Push Button Black Switch BK33B | eBay

That would be it for the external holes, and internally whatever fits, go with it. Allowing some extra space to carry 1 or 2 atty/cartos would be good as you could have a backup available when the outer one gets wet. Also I would use a colored box as the clear polycarb is going to show scratches and the internals won't be that nice to look at.

Hope this gets things in the right direction.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
I was thinking some kind of magnetic activated switch through the enclosure would be cool, and it wouldn't require the actual switch to be outside the enclosure. I also like lipo's but if used I wouldn't make the charger accessible from the outside, I would just open the box to charge.

I agree on the connector some good epoxy should seal most any connector.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
The magnetic switch is a great idea....now just to find one that will work

I was just thinking about making something.

Is otterbox available at bestbuy or a sporting goods chain?

From the internal dims I should be able to fit my 6000mah lipo (4-5 day vape). My father in law is an avid fisherman and new to vaping, so this may be perfect for him and brownie points for me.

keighles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Maryland
I think i have seen otterbox phone cases at radio shack, and best buy. I'm not sure about just a box. Maybe BassPro shop has something on hand.

I have some magnetic door switches we use for refrigerated trucks and trailers. but its a normally closed circuit, opens the circuit when the door opens. shuts the refrigeration unit off.

edit......Just found these..

http://www.basspro.com/Plano-Waterproof-Stowaway-Utility-Boxes/product/10210352/

Last edited:

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Otterbox looks to be doing quite a bit for the iphone. For a magnetic switch how about a reed switch to activate the gate on a mosfet, and a magnetic ring to activate?

The DNA doesn't need to switch the full current, so I was thinking a little more old school and more mechanical

Niagara

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Niagara
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread