Does heating really kill the nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FahadBA

Unresolved Status
Dec 2, 2013
KSA
I've been searching for days about extracting the flavor from tobacco with ZERO nicotine. I found many DIY articles, some of them in this forum. In some articles there is a step where I have to put the jar in boiling water for like 30 minutes to kill all the nicotine as the author claims.

The problems is while searching I came across some articles showing how to extract the nicotine itself from tobacco and the procedure is very similar to extracting the flavor and it involved heating!! .. like this one here How To Make Pure Nicotine

Now I'm really confused and need an answer from expert on this .. Does heating really kill the nicotine or not ??

My concern is that I don't want any nicotine in the result liquid because I can't find a way to know how much of it will be there and perhaps end up consuming more nicotine than I used to. I just want the tobacco flavor!

Reactions: Devilstompa

patrao_n

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
United States
Hearing would not matter. There was a few threads in the extraction sub forum in the eliquid discussion forum. It involved propelyne glycol I believe. Read in there and see if its something you want to do. And be very cautious. If you start getting sick I wouldn't use it. The first thing I suggest is getting a nicotine testing kit. Then the next suggestion if you couldn't get the kit would be to try a 5 percent flavoring mixture in pg and vg with no added nicotine to see if there is any in there. If you get dizzy scrap the thing. Also go read the mass for nicotine if you havent

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
hmmm lets see smoking a cigarette and having the lit end producing in excess of 450 degrees doesnt negate the presence of nicitone i would have to say no to your question

if you want the flavor and no Nicotine go to Heathers Heavenly Vapors and order you choice of tobacco flavor and 0 Nic
thats your best bet

FahadBA

Unresolved Status
Dec 2, 2013
KSA
I've read all different kind of the extraction procedures .. some use alcohol or heating .. some use both but they keep claiming that heating will kill it.

I really have to say that your reply enlightened me, I didn't know about that nicotine testing kit. I immediately start searching Amazon for it and found this Amazon.com: Nicotine/Tobacco Test Kit - 10 Pack: Health & Personal Care but it turned out the test is done with urine!! well, I need something to test before I use it so I searched for eLiquid testing and found what appears the common way of using the Sulfuric Acid which I can't ship to my country nor easy find it locally.... did more search and found out that I can actually use that urine tester to test the eLiquid itself ...NICE How To Test E Cigarette Liquids It would be nicer if there is a digital one that shows the percentage of nicotine like the one I'm using to test my blood sugar :)

I will get that testing kit and post back the result. But I really appreciate it if someone who has done all this to jump here and give straight answer.

Thank You (patrao_n)

FahadBA

Unresolved Status
Dec 2, 2013
KSA
hmmm lets see smoking a cigarette and having the lit end producing in excess of 450 degrees doesnt negate the presence of nicitone i would have to say no to your question

if you want the flavor and no Nicotine go to Heathers Heavenly Vapors and order you choice of tobacco flavor and 0 Nic
thats your best bet

I think you misunderstood me ... I'm trying to extract the flavor from Tobacco to make my own eLiquid ;-)

thekingCREOLE

Nov 4, 2013
SoCal
For sure get a nic test kit.. Really not worth getting sick over if you want to experiment.

But to answer your question, cigarettes are lit and burning.. all the while delivering PLENTY of nicotine to the user. I don't believe heat will kill the nicotine.. that is unless you've got the juice open, and so hot that its past the boiling point of nicotine... in which it would be boiled off and vaporized. :vapor:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland

The cherry itself may be too hot to deliver nicotine, but when you take a drag the heat from the cherry radiates further down into the cigarette. This vaporizes nic and other chemicals before they get hot enough to degrade, which is why you are still able to get nic from burning tobacco. Same goes for other plant materials with active ingredients that are destroyed at lighter temperature, but still get delivered with smoking.

At least that's the conclusion I've come to after reading on the subject a bit, who knows how true it is ;)

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
If you want an accurate test for nicotine, use this one - Nicotine Test Kit

As far as I know, there is no way to extract tobacco flavors without having some residual nicotine left over. Typically, an extraction will yield somewhere between 1-3 mg/ml of nicotine. If there is a way to make a natural tobacco extract that is completely nicotine free, I would love to know about it myself, as I am switching down to zero nic juice, and because of that, I can no longer use NETs or Tobacco Absolute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread