Does The Head Rush Effect Exist In The Vaping World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spainman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
Memphis, TN
The "head rush" effect from smoking a cigarette is NOT related to smoke, but rather is a direct effect of nicotine absorption. There are numerous double blind placebo-controlled laboratory studies that consistently find a dose-related nicotine head-rush effect from nicotine delivered via intravenous, nasal or oral delivery. Does nicotine do what we think it does? A m... [Nicotine Tob Res. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

So following on from that, the common lack of a head rush effect from vaping, is most likely because most ecigs do not deliver nicotine at a speed or dose that compares to a cigarette or snuff. Having said that, we now have one published study showing that SOME experienced vapors, using fairly advanced ecigs, CAN obtain a boost in blood nicotine concentration of around 10 ng/ml within 5-10 minutes, which is in a similar ball-park to a cigarette, and enough to give a head rush from the first vape of the day, before acute tolerance to nicotine effects builds up throughout the day. Electronic cigarettes: effective nicotine d... [Nicotine Tob Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Good info. Thanks for replying.

BigLungs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
The "head rush" effect from smoking a cigarette is NOT related to smoke, but rather is a direct effect of nicotine absorption. There are numerous double blind placebo-controlled laboratory studies that consistently find a dose-related nicotine head-rush effect from nicotine delivered via intravenous, nasal or oral delivery. Does nicotine do what we think it does? A m... [Nicotine Tob Res. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

So following on from that, the common lack of a head rush effect from vaping, is most likely because most ecigs do not deliver nicotine at a speed or dose that compares to a cigarette or snuff. Having said that, we now have one published study showing that SOME experienced vapors, using fairly advanced ecigs, CAN obtain a boost in blood nicotine concentration of around 10 ng/ml within 5-10 minutes, which is in a similar ball-park to a cigarette, and enough to give a head rush from the first vape of the day, before acute tolerance to nicotine effects builds up throughout the day. Electronic cigarettes: effective nicotine d... [Nicotine Tob Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

What you are referring to is two different feelings. The rush from nicotine absorption is because nicotine is a stimulant, it is going to give you an effect as it's levels rise in your bloodstream.

The other feeling IS caused by the smoke cutting off the oxygen levels in your blood and going to the brain, this is referred to as hypoxia. It is based on sound medical research.

Now these two effects, combined with all the other additives in cigarettes, act as a whole to give the "head rush" from smoking. You may be able to get a type of head rush from e-cigarettes, but it is nowhere near the same thing. It is simply a stimulant going to your brain.

Last edited:

spainman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
Memphis, TN
What you are referring to is two different feelings. The rush from nicotine absorption is because nicotine is a stimulant, it is going to give you an effect as it's levels rise in your bloodstream.

The other feeling IS caused by the smoke cutting off the oxygen levels in your blood and going to the brain, this is referred to as hypoxia. It is based on sound medical research.

Now these two effects, combined with all the other additives in cigarettes, act as a whole to give the "head rush" from smoking. You may be able to get a type of head rush from e-cigarettes, but it is nowhere near the same thing. It is simply a stimulant going to your brain.

That makes sense too, but I am curious about the "buzz" the guy got in the video above.

BigLungs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
That makes sense too, but I am curious about the "buzz" the guy got in the video above.

He goes into the details of it a bit. It is something I have on my list of liquids to try, however I am not 100% sure if I will or not.

Apparently it has more of the whole tobacco makeup other than just the nicotine, this could be good for some and bad for others.
I personally am happy right now with just the nicotine and flavors, however if I ever thought I might relapse and try cigarettes again it would be better to just try the WTA instead.

I don't know much about them because I just recently started reading up on it(thanks to this amazing site), but I am looking forward to more info and research on them. It obviously is trying to mimic the actual cigarettes though, and I don't know if this is good or bad.

I would love for more people who have tried them and have info to chime in.

Edit: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am NOT suggesting that wta juices are possibly more harmful than nic only juices. The fact is that we don't really know much about either at this time(as far as long term), but we generally agree that both must be safer than smoking actual cigarettes.

Last edited:

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey

While I don't deny the possibility that part of the head rush from smoking is due to a non-nicotine mediated effect of smoke affecting the brain, I believe that the largest part (if not all) of the head rush effect from smoking is directly related to the nicotine dose. The evidence for this comes not only from dose response effects of nicotine on head rush from non-smoked routes (e.g. oral snuff) as mentioned above, but also from studies of high and low nicotine delivery cigarettes (which both deliver smoke). For example, in a classic study by Nancy mello at Harvard, high nicotine cigarettes produced a blood nicotine boost of about 22 ng/ml and low nic cigarettes produced a boost of less than 4 ng/ml. The peak head rush scores were 55 versus 15. There was an equal amount of smoking going on, but the head rush appeared related to the amount of nicotine delivered by the first cigarette. The fact that few ecig users report head rush from first vape of the day (when they often felt it with smoke of the day) appears likely related to much lower nicotine absorption from their ecig.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0018506X09002232

tc5953

Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
United States
I have gotten it twice. first time was the first time I ever tried vaping (tested like 8 different flavors in a row.....talk about buzzzzzzzzing) and then a while later I switched from a standard 510 atty to a vivi nova that I had dripped the wrong juice in that I didnt like. So I kept sucking until I could get the "bad" juice flavor out and get the good one through..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread