does vaping cause acne issues ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinr1

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
sf
I have a friend of mine that started vaping about 8 weeks ago she is in her 40s and has smoked for 20 years , she called me up yesterday and asked me if vaping could cause acne issues because her face is starting to break out and seems to be very oily in the past 2 weeks or so ,
and she hasn't had acne problems since high school like the rest of us . plus she is 1 of those ladies that like majorly takes care of her skin , has anyone ever experienced this problem or ever heard of this ?

thanks ........................

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
PG gets a bad rap.

Cosmetics, moisturizing lotions, wrinkle - firming - anti aging creams, make up remover, sun block, tooth paste, hair care products, acne treatments, antibiotic ointments, and several hundreds of other things you ingest or purposely rub into your skin all have PG in them at a much higher % than you could ingest/absorb through vaping, unless you drank about 10ml's of eliquid/juice.

BlondeBebe

Oct 21, 2013
Canton, OH
As a medical professional I can tell you it isn't likely that she is breaking out from the chemicals in vaping. Unless she has a sensitivity to all cosmetics, in which most have some content of PG or glycerin. Generally, acne breakouts after the teens are due to hormonal issues. If your friend is in her 40s, a lot of women are experiencing declines in estrogen and more androgen production, hence a slight increase in acne.

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
just google "quit zits" you will literally get thousands of people with the same story as well as responses from dermatologists. there is your answer. According to what ive read it "may" have something to do with, like blondebebe pointed out, hormones that go whacky from the lacky of tobaccy in combination with being dehydrated.

i got them when i quit and switching to max vg didnt help but seems to have worked for others. 100% VG is actually used as a topical treatment for dry skin believe it or not. i personally just had to wait like 2 months.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
I would wager that it's detox from what's in cigarettes. The body can't find what it used to get so frequently, so now the body is getting rid of the excess in the system. In doing so, she may be breaking out as through waste and the skin are the primary ways the body gets rid of toxins. Since the chemicals are inhaled and absorbed, not much will exit through waste, instead, it'll come through the skin.

Since her skin doesn't get exposed to close to the amount of toxins and chemicals in cigarettes, she's probably having a reaction to what's coming through during detox.

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
PG gets a bad rap.

Cosmetics, moisturizing lotions, wrinkle - firming - anti aging creams, make up remover, sun block, tooth paste, hair care products, acne treatments, antibiotic ointments, and several hundreds of other things you ingest or purposely rub into your skin all have PG in them at a much higher % than you could ingest/absorb through vaping, unless you drank about 10ml's of eliquid/juice.

Agreed. I suspect it's because PG has a chemical sounding name, while VG has "vegetable" in it. Personally I need to vape higher PG levels. VG bothers my lungs and makes them feel heavy.

I would wager the OP's friend is having a reaction to quitting.

Last edited:

BlondeBebe

Oct 21, 2013
Canton, OH
Agreed. I suspect it's because PG has a chemical sounding name, while VG has "vegetable" in it. Personally I need to vape higher PG levels. VG bothers my lungs and makes them feel heavy.

I would wager the OP's friend is having a reaction to quitting.

From the research and what I've studied about PG and VG, I believe that VG is harder on the lungs. We use PG in hospitals globally for many reasons, and while VG is used somewhat, PG is the foremost inhalant between the two because of the particulate size of VG. As a physician, I choose to vape at 70PG, 30VG in most cases. I find higher concentrations of VG give me that "heavy" feeling, too.

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
From the research and what I've studied about PG and VG, I believe that VG is harder on the lungs. We use PG in hospitals globally for many reasons, and while VG is used somewhat, PG is the foremost inhalant between the two because of the particulate size of VG. As a physician, I choose to vape at 70PG, 30VG in most cases. I find higher concentrations of VG give me that "heavy" feeling, too.

I always presumed VG was harder for the lungs to "break down."

OnceUponaDream

Jul 14, 2012
World
Sigh. Here's my story...1 year ago, I started vaping and cutted down on analogs. Within 2 weeks, I started breaking out... (note that I am still smoking analogs) I think that it was the ecig that caused my breakout. So I stopped vaping, threw it away and continued smoking analog.

Last Feb 2014, I decided to quit smoking. I bought a 1 month supply of nicotine patches, slapped it on and never touched a single puff of analog since. After my supply of nicotine patches was used up, I decided not to continue with patches anymore because it was giving me very bad rashes to wherever I pasted the patches on. And so, I decided to go back to electronic.cigarettes.

The ejuice I bought was a mint flavor, 6mg nicotine, 70%.PG.and 30%.VG. and the ecig is Ego CE4.

At first, just one week of using it, a couple of acnes appear around my chin. Then the second week, it got worse. Small red spots, looking a little like freshly scald marks, appear all around my cheeks. Upon closer examining it, it was actually acnes forming under my skin that are soon to be breaking out.Not to mention, rashes (not those serious types) appear around my back and shoulders. I'm thinking it might be due to the fact that I usually vape at home topless. (I'm a 29 male btw).

I'm really feeling helpless and a little depressed from this break out. It makes me want to give up and just smoke analog instead. Sigh. Ok, I admit I am very vain.

jbrow314

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2014
Charlotte, NC, USA
Sigh. Here's my story...1 year ago, I started vaping and cutted down on analogs. Within 2 weeks, I started breaking out... (note that I am still smoking analogs) I think that it was the ecig that caused my breakout. So I stopped vaping, threw it away and continued smoking analog.

Last Feb 2014, I decided to quit smoking. I bought a 1 month supply of nicotine patches, slapped it on and never touched a single puff of analog since. After my supply of nicotine patches was used up, I decided not to continue with patches anymore because it was giving me very bad rashes to wherever I pasted the patches on. And so, I decided to go back to electronic.cigarettes.

The ejuice I bought was a mint flavor, 6mg nicotine, 70%.PG.and 30%.VG. and the ecig is Ego CE4.

At first, just one week of using it, a couple of acnes appear around my chin. Then the second week, it got worse. Small red spots, looking a little like freshly scald marks, appear all around my cheeks. Upon closer examining it, it was actually acnes forming under my skin that are soon to be breaking out.Not to mention, rashes (not those serious types) appear around my back and shoulders. I'm thinking it might be due to the fact that I usually vape at home topless. (I'm a 29 male btw).

I'm really feeling helpless and a little depressed from this break out. It makes me want to give up and just smoke analog instead. Sigh. Ok, I admit I am very vain.

Dont give up, Im 24 and quit smoking on Thursday. I have noticied I am starting to break out with acne now, also my face has started to become a little more oily then usual. I strongly believe it is from quitting analogs and not from ecigs, now of course if it dosent go away after a month or so I may switch to VG, but at the moment I am leaning towards quitting analogs.

Dont give up hope, just keep doing what your doing and see if it improves, acne might be embarrassing to some, but remember you just quit something that is completely horrible for your body, be proud of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread