Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I started building microcoils around 2-3 weeks ago. I have been building my own coils for quite some time now, so it is not like I am a newbie. I picked up some Meijer sterile cotton balls. They seem to work on par with the CVS Sterile cotton balls. I would build a coil, mash it together when the coil was hot. Then, I would wick it with cotton. At first, I was using way too much. I lessened it and I had okay results, for maybe the first 2 hours. Then it would just start tasting like my atty was full of gunk. I have tried around 20 different ways to wick the micro coil and it was just the same.

Last night, I wrapped a regular coil around 1.5mm Ekowool and pushed all the wraps together like a microcoil. No more frustration, excellent flavor, and huge vapor production. I rediscovered why it was I fell in love with my Reo in the first place.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I started building microcoils around 2-3 weeks ago. I have been building my own coils for quite some time now, so it is not like I am a newbie. I picked up some Meijer sterile cotton balls. They seem to work on par with the CVS Sterile cotton balls. I would build a coil, mash it together when the coil was hot. Then, I would wick it with cotton. At first, I was using way too much. I lessened it and I had okay results, for maybe the first 2 hours. Then it would just start tasting like my atty was full of gunk. I have tried around 20 different ways to wick the micro coil and it was just the same.

I do find micro coils change after a few hours. I do not find they taste gunked up though unless I put too much cotton in the coil. I know you reduced the cotton you use but it may still be too much. OTOH, everyone does not appreciate the same setup ;). Glad you found something that works for you.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Last edited:

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto

Last night, I wrapped a regular coil around 1.5mm Ekowool and pushed all the wraps together like a microcoil. No more frustration, excellent flavor, and huge vapor production. I rediscovered why it was I fell in love with my Reo in the first place.

Are you using the right diameter? With 1.5mm coils I usually get pure clean flavor for at least a week and I vape some heavy stuff.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Depends on the dripper, but instead of threading wick through the coil, wrapping the hemp fiber around the coil enhances the wicking process, but it does work best with a bottom airflow atty

Yup, that works great, but in my experience it doesn't have to be vertical. I usually make mine at an angle leaving the top end open, or horizontal and leave both ends open. As you said, vertical has a real advantage in a bottom airflow atty like the Kayfuns. Really, all of these can be made to work very well.

quintheskimo

Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Los Angeles
How does it differ from cotton?
It's finer, like a cross between silk and fine hair. It can be re-formed, or re-tangled rather, more easily than cotton. The vapor is a little juicier than cotton, which I find is a bit fluffier and drier by comparison, but less "wet" than silica. It has a flavor, which I personally love. Savory, might be an overstatement, but it's earthy/organic. YMMV, and will differ based on your build and device. It's also really inexpensive. $14 got me a box an army couldn't through in a lifetime. I've been giving away zip locks full and haven't made a dent.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
It's finer, like a cross between silk and fine hair. It can be re-formed, or re-tangled rather, more easily than cotton. The vapor is a little juicier than cotton, which I find is a bit fluffier and drier by comparison, but less "wet" than silica. It has a flavor, which I personally love. Savory, might be an overstatement, but it's earthy/organic. YMMV, and will differ based on your build and device. It's also really inexpensive. $14 got me a box an army couldn't through in a lifetime. I've been giving away zip locks full and haven't made a dent.

That first pic looks like the wad of cat hair I cleaned up yesterday off the rug my chair sits on!!!!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

Hey Mike, just curious as no one has asked this question, (or maybe I missed it), what liquid are you vaping? What percentage is the mixture? High VG content? It it a Net liquid? I know those don't go over very well with a lot of different wicking choices. I can notice a difference when using cotton like Ryedan said, but in my case the flavor actually gets better after a few hours. I changed out my wicks every couple of days usually. Not because they really needed to be changed, but overall in my head it made the vape taste better. Besides, with the bag of cotton balls I have, I don't think I will live long enough to go through them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread