Double Twisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mist_intheWind

Jan 8, 2016
Hey y'all, have a design for a coil build I've not yet seen out there. I've basically twisted together twisted wire, essential making double twisted wire. (Title says it all.) First made some twisted 28 ga wire, then took that and twisted it again. I've got 6 wraps on a 1/16" bit and it comes out to around .7 ohms. Thus far its vaping better than any coil I've had on my dark horse clone, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this around before. Thoughts?

Attachments

• WP_20160109_19_26_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160109_19_26_51_Pro.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 201
  • WP_20160109_19_48_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160109_19_48_50_Pro.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 182
  • WP_20160109_19_50_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160109_19_50_35_Pro.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
FWIW the Wire Wizard on Steam-engine.org even calculates the coil for you.
Twisting multiple strands of small gauge wire is one way to get the resistivity of heavier wire, with extra surface area to the wire. Example 4x32 is nearly equal to 26awg single strand @ 11.3 ohm/mm with almost 2x the surface area but a little less mass.

Mist_intheWind

Jan 8, 2016
93 I usually use steam engine, just to get an idea before I actually do the build. Great site, hasn't led me wrong yet, especially when it comes to laying parallels or figuring out which diameter works best on the inner coil.
Puffer I like the idea of twisting a single wire with a twisted wire. But have you ever twisted two twisted wires? It's actually giving me more surface area than just twisting four strands would, and the ramp up time is greatly reduced. Though I've noticed it holds onto the heat a lot longer.

Mist_intheWind

Jan 8, 2016
Claptons are good, but I find they're often more trouble than they're worth, though I do like the flavor they produce.
I recently tried a single clapton, 32 ga around a 2 x 30 twisted, and it surprised the living crap put of me. More vapor than I'd ever gotten out of my old caterpillar, (RDA not coil), but it also burned too quick, regardless of how I wicked it.

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
Hey y'all, have a design for a coil build I've not yet seen out there. I've basically twisted together twisted wire, essential making double twisted wire. (Title says it all.) First made some twisted 28 ga wire, then took that and twisted it again. I've got 6 wraps on a 1/16" bit and it comes out to around .7 ohms. Thus far its vaping better than any coil I've had on my dark horse clone, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this around before. Thoughts?
hi mist in the wind
my favored coil is a four strand 34 . 2.5 mm 7 to 8 wraps
1.3 to 1.5 ohms in an aromamizer at around 18 watts
plenty of clouds and flavor for me .
also twisted 2 34g ..two sets .. and than twisted the two together the ohms per foot came out a little different .still have to build with that one . so no verdict.
what I was surprised of was how thin and springy the fin wire was ! torching is just about a must !

DangVape

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2015
Montreal, QC, Canada
The twisted reverse twist is my current favorite coil. 2 pair twist one direction as tight as possible then reverse twist in the opposite direction not too tight. until it look like this

2mnkqph.jpg

(Not my picture I found it on internet but that what it look like)

One disadvantage is it quite thick with 28 gauge so you need pole post with large hole on your atty

Last edited:
Reactions: Runamok3x

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
My favorite RTA wire is 2x 30 twisted than twisted with a 28. Favorite RDA wire is 2x 30 twisted than twisted with a 26. I'm a huge fan of the twisted wire combo.
Eln6yBS.jpg

Twisted 30 then twisted with a single 28.... This build comes to .3 ohms....
I twisted the 28 opposite of the 30s, since it was all by hand and the 30s weren't twisted all that tight, the 30s started to untwist as they twisted with the 28....
I'm liking it, although I didn't intend to have it that low of a build....

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
These loose twists you guys are doing look very much like some braided coils ive done, like this for example

It's been a while since a did or vaped on a simple braid like the following but i found 3 lengths of 32g really good, you get lots of wick coverage as you can see by the width of the wire, try it it might surprise you if you havent tried before.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Na
The twisted reverse twist is my current favorite coil. 2 pair twist one direction as tight as possible then reverse twist in the opposite direction not too tight. until it look like this

2mnkqph.jpg

(Not my picture I found it on internet but that what it look like)

One disadvantage is it quite thick with 28 gauge so you need pole post with large hole on your atty
naw man, 3x twisted wires, twist together the opposite way til it forms an interlocking look. It shouldn't look loose, but super tight. Even with 2x twisted interlocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread