hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m glad to be back again with another review for Dovpo. This time I will be taking a look at the new Dovpo Samdwich rda. It is a single coil rda that has some really neat airflow options. There are four different airflow options as well as a top airflow. The Samdwich is pretty small as it has dimensions of 22mm x 31.9mm. There are also different outside caps available but not included. It also includes a squonk pin which is how I plan to run it for testing. Let’s go ahead and see what’s included and take a look at some promotional images. Then I’ll give my thoughts on this new rda.

t10J5Nq.jpg

f4CK3gI.jpg

MLZUcRK.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?
    DEwlh9E.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

ZspzHJk.jpg

FEATURES:

• 22mm Diameter
    • Drip/Squonk feeding method
    • Stainless Steel construction
    • Single coil configuration
    • PEEK insulator
    • 4 level airflow adjustment system
    • 510 Delrin drip tip
    • 510 Thread
    1663200657556.png

a22kxp8.jpg

K15DIKI.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Samdwich RDA is a bit different than what I’ve seen from other samples that I’ve received. It comes in a small box with a semitransparent cover over the top and the name Across with their mountain symbol in the upper right corner. The Samdwich name is in bigger type across the center. You lift that plastic cover to one side and the rda is visible with a box of accessories sitting beside it in a foam insert.

gg0rab5.jpg

XCt9TY8.jpg

As always it’s a good idea to take any new tank apart as far as possible and give it a good cleaning. I had a little trouble getting the airflow control portion out of the main body of the rda initially. It was very tight. I ended up pushing the airflow control out as gently as possible from the inside using a small screwdriver. Once I had it out and cleaned then I put a little vg on it which made it move more smoothly and was now able to remove it without pushing from the inside.

1663200846186.png

The Samdwich does come with a tapered 510 drip tip but it was a little short for me so I went ahead and switched it out for a different tip after trying it for a while. As you can see in the picture below, the markings on the airflow adjustment show clearly which set of airflow holes are available to be used. The only branding is the Samdwich name you see on the picture. The outer chamber has two notches protruding so that the outer barrel of the rda locks securely into the base with no chance of turning the barrel without turning the base.
    1eDT7Xz.jpg

Below are a few close up pictures of the airflow adjustment portion removed so you can get a better idea of what the actual airflow holes look like. There aren’t any side airflow openings on the barrel so all airflow comes through the top. This is nice in my opinion as you don’t have to worry about any liquid spilling if you tip the rda too much. I have had that happen with other rdas that have side airflow openings.
    1663200959973.png

1663200994980.png

1663201028604.png

1663201061590.png

I think I mentioned already that the Samdwich is a 22mm diameter rda. What this correlates to is that it’s not going to have a huge area to build on. It is a single coil rda. I initially tried one of the included 2.5 mm coils that were in the accessory bag and immediately installed the squonk pin. I had two different squonk mods I wanted to try it on. The first was of course was the Dovpo Pump Squonk mod. It performed pretty well on it but with the 2.5mm coil I kept thinking I could get better flavor. I ended up removing the 2.5mm coil and installed a 3mm Ni80 coil which measured in at .39 ohms on my other squonk mod since there’s no display on the Pump Squonk mod. To me this was a marked improvement in combination with a longer drip tip.

The first picture shows the bare deck which has two slotted head screws. On either side of each post screw is a shoulder so that the wire is easier to trap. In the second picture below it shows the 2.5mm coil installed. Once the legs are locked in and the screws are tightened down then it is easy to clip off the excess leg length. It’s really an easy deck to build on. Just not a lot of room. The third picture is of course the same coil wicked and wetted. Finally the fourth picture is the set up that I ended up with that included a longer drip tip and the Pump Squonk mod that I previously reviewed. The Pump Squonk mod has stayed in my rotation with an rda on it since I reviewed it. I really like it.

RNpit0c.jpg

1663201146417.png

1663201189773.png

1663201239194.png

Below is a quick picture of the 3mm coil that I installed after trying one of the included coils. I felt like I got better performance with the larger coil. More vapor and flavor were produced with this one. Also in the picture below you can see the opening in the center of the deck where the liquid comes in when you have the squonk pin installed and are using a squonk mod.

1663201298572.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I really enjoyed testing the Dovpo Samdwich RDA. I have tested several rdas in the past and this is a pretty good one. It’s hard to compare this one to the others since most were dual coil rdas. This one is smaller also than any of the others I have tested with it being only 22mm in diameter. It’s actually nice to have a single coil rda for a change. It’s very easy and simple to build and use.

The four different airflow settings are a plus as well as it not having any side airflow holes with the stock cap so leaking is not an issue. However, there are optional top caps available and some of those do have side airflow openings.

I think that most rdas come with a squonk pin these days and am glad that it came with one also. That is my preferred method of use if I’m going to use an rda. It’s hard to believe that there was one rda from another company that came without a squonk pin and I saw several complaints about it on the forum. I don’t know what they were thinking. Don’t worry, as usual Dovpo has covered all the bases with the Samdwich.

I also like how the outer cap has two notches that stick out to lock into the cutouts in the base so there is no chance that the barrel will turn without the base. I’ve reviewed several different devices for Dovpo the last year or two and can’t think of one that I didn’t like. They seem to always have very good build quality in my opinion.

So obviously, yes I would recommend the Dovpo Samdwich RDA for you if you are looking for a solid rda that delivers good flavor and vapor production while using a single coil. I’d like to thank Dovpo and Dorothy for sending the Samdwich RDA for this review. Thanks go out to all the readers who make it to the end of my reviews. Below is a link to the website if you’d like to look at the Samdwich or any of the other tanks or mods that Dovpo has to offer.

The Samdwich RDA – DOVPO Official
    5EWPZ58.jpg

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Very nice review Hitt.

I like RDA's that have a slightly raised squonk pin (per your last deck pic). It leaves some juice in the well for the wick.

And I agree with you 100% regarding the designs and build quality of Dovpo products. I have 3 College SBS's and 2 Vee variable voltage mods. I've had one, sometimes two, College's in rotation since I bought them.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Very nice review Hitt.

I like RDA's that have a slightly raised squonk pin (per your last deck pic). It leaves some juice in the well for the wick.

And I agree with you 100% regarding the designs and build quality of Dovpo products. I have 3 College SBS's and 2 Vee variable voltage mods. I've had one, sometimes two, College's in rotation since I bought them.

Good read, thanks.
    Thank you both. I really felt like the 3mm coil was a big improvement over the 2.5mm.

HyDrOpOnIc1987

ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2021
    Great review! Im out sick atm with a major dental abcsess, so I haven't been on here much, just started feelkng better enough to hop on and check out a couple reviews. I'm loving this RDA. And the airflow is really cool. I get amazing flavour from the clover shaped inlet and the double hole air intakes. *Chefs kiss*

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    You did a great job!
    Thanks!
    Very nice review Mate :thumb:
    Here I was assuming that it was going to be another big dual coil RDA! This one would actually suit me!!
    Yes, it’s been a lot of dual coils lately. The single is a nice change.
    Great review! Im out sick atm with a major dental abcsess, so I haven't been on here much, just started feelkng better enough to hop on and check out a couple reviews. I'm loving this RDA. And the airflow is really cool. I get amazing flavour from the clover shaped inlet and the double hole air intakes. *Chefs kiss*
    Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread