Dovpo Topside Dual 200W Squonk Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Topside Dual 200W Squonk Box mod from Dovpo. The Dovpo Topside Dual 200W Squonk Box mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Cortana from the Healthcabin.

https://www.healthcabin.net/dovpo-topsid...20595.html

Introduction

The Topside dual like it's single battery version is a collaboration between Dovpo and Vapor Chronicles. The Topside squonking devices are much talked about with many rating them the best squonking devices in the mainstream marketplace. I love the Delta, and the Rage is also a superb squonk device but when i received the single battery Topside i came to the conclusion although preferring the Delta, the reasons were subjective and stated the Topside in my opinion was the better device. Although the Topside dual will only accommodate 18650 batteries unlike the single battery version which would also accommodate a 2X700, the dual version has an increased max wattage output of 200W and comes with full TC straight out the box. With it's unique look and coming in a multitude of colours there's lots to wet the lips, let's give it a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1pc Topside Dual Box Mod
2pc 10ML Squonk Bottle Kit
1pc Accessories Bag
1pc Micro USB Cable
1pc Battery Usage Warning Card
1pc User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics:

The Topside dual comes in a cardboard box packaging with cardboard sleeve. I received the Blue version which has a glitter type finish as does the other solid colour options, the combo colours available have a splatter style finish and i must say the Black Gold version looks stunning. The colour options are, Black, Gunmetal, Gold, Silver, Purple, Blue, Red, Green, Black Blue, Black Grey, Black Red and Black Gold. The shape is still like a double barrel look but with central battery tubes being side by side, giving the spine where we have the cutout for pressing the bottle an ergonomic rounded shape. I thought the the double barrel shape with side by side battery tubes would make the device bulky but for a dual battery squonker it's very compact and comfortable to hold, in fact the rounded spine and position of the large Black domed fire button the Topside dual is a surprisingly ergonomic device. The front of the device has the already mentioned fire button at the top, central is the screen then below the round domed Black navigational buttons. On one side of the device we have the micro USB port, the base is the battery door and has plenty of printed safety marks and branding. Up top we have a upper section towards the front then it curves down to a lower section at the rear. The rear is where we have the top-fill cap which has texturing for grip, on the upper section we have a central leak proof design Gold plated, spring loaded BF 510 surrounded by a small 510 plate. Like with the single battery version i can't fault the build quality of the Topside dual, and in my opinion is an aesthetically pleasing device.

Topside Dual Specs and Features:

Material: Zinc Alloy
Size: 54.0 x 42.0 x 88.5mm
Power Range: 5.0W-200.0W
Temperature Range: 100-315C/ 200-600F
Display: 0.96 inch OLED
Input Voltage: 6.4V - 8.4V
Output Voltage: 0.8v - 12.0v
Resistance: 0.08ohm- 3.50ohm
Battery: 2 x 18650 High-drain Battery
Charging: MicroUSB 5V/2A
Gold-plated spring loaded 510 pin
Silicone bottles with a capacity of 10ml
Colours: Black, Gunmetal, Gold, Silver, Purple, Blue, Red, Green, Black Blue, Black Grey, Black Red, Black Gold

Filling The device

On the top of the device towards the rear we have a screw cap very similar to a battery cap we see on devices like the Pico, unscrewing this cap reveals 2 generous kidney shaped fill ports, it's exactly the same as when you unscrew the top-cap off a tank. Looking inside as well as the fill ports the rest of the circular shape is made up with a Black solid section, on the underneath of this is where the pipe is that feeds down into the bottle to connect with the bottles tube and then leads to the 510, the bottle holds 10ml of e-liquid which is impressive. The underneath of the screw cap has spring loaded kidney shaped bungs that seal everything once the cap is screwed back on.

The Bottle

To remove the bottle we have to remove the top-cap (it comes out much easier with top-cap removed) and open the battery door revealing the base of the bottles casing. On this base where the spine of the device is there is an indent to get grip to pull the bottles casing with bottle out of the device. The Bottle is housed inside a strong plastic casing which has a metal top section which has kidney shaped fill ports that line up with the already mentioned fill ports at the top of the device and then a cutout section with a hole, the circle is completed when the casing is fitted inside the device as the solid section with pipe already described at the top of the device slots into this cut out section feeding the pipe inside the tubing in the bottle and sealing everything. For the most part when people want to clean the bottle it's easy enough to just flush it out using the fill ports but you can give it a more thorough clean. On either side of the top metal section of the casing are screws, by undoing these you can take the casing apart revealing the tube on the underneath of the metal section and take your bottle out, now it can be given a thorough clean, you are supplied with both an allen key and spare screws just in case. The plastic casing for the bottle has protruding side rails and inside the device is a groove either side so the bottle assembly is fitted smoothly in the perfect position.

The Spare Bottle

When you buy the Topside you do get a spare bottle which is packaged separately. The bottle is the full assembly including the casing, it also comes with a top that looks very similar to the one on the device with bungs for the fill ports and a section that mimics the solid section with feed pipe, this top is just press fitted into place but is a nice tight fit and with the protruding area interlocking and the bungs sitting deep this is not going to come off on it's own accord. This is a massive pro, 10ml in the bottle fitted in the device and another 10ml you can carry around in the spare, that's 20ml on the go.

Fitting The Battery

The Topside dual unlike the single battery version which accommodated a 21700, 20700 or 18650 only accommodates 18650 batteries to help keep the overall size compact and ergonomic. The battery door is the base of the device, you need to slightly slide the door towards the rear then it lifts up. Underneath the door we have the bottom of the bottle cartridge at the rear and the battery tube compartments side by side, it's just a matter of sliding your battery (the correct way) into the tube then fastening the door. The door secures very well and there is no battery rattle, orientation is marked on the door in White so a big pro for that.

The Display

The display is sharp, very bright and quite basic in it's layout which will be liked by many with all information in a decent size font so no issues with reading the information given. At the top of the display to the left we have the mode, to the right of this is the two battery status bars labelled "A" and "B". Underneath the already described is your wattage, temperature or voltage depending on the mode you are in. Then further down we have the amps followed by the voltage when in wattage mode which displays wattage instead when in other modes, finally at the bottom is your resistance.

Navigating The Topside Dual

The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on the device and 5 clicks to turn off. Once on pressing the right and left buttons together locks the navigational buttons but the device will still fire, when the buttons are locked 3 presses of the right button is stealth mode. 3 clicks of the fire button also locks the device but completely so the device will not fire. The Dual comes with more features than the single battery version straight out the box and to enter the menu system is done by pressing the left button and fire together. The options in the menu are Power (variable wattage), Voltage (variable voltage), Temp-Ni, Temp-Ti, Temp-SS, TCR and Stats. When choosing stats this brings up your total puffs and total time vaped which can be reset. When in temp control pressing right and fire together allows you to set wattage for temp control. The wattage adjusts in 0.5W increments up to 100W and then switches to 1W increments up to the maximum 200W.

Using The Topside Dual

The First thing to state is i don't vape using temp control and have no access to data so simply review devices as i personally experienced them. I used both the Profile and Point Blank on the Topside dual and the device works as well as any squonker i have used with it's performance as far as juice delivery being identical to the original Topside. The firing with the finger and putting pressure on the bottle with the thumb or firing with the thumb and pressing the bottle with the fingers work equally as well as each other but would say thumb firing had a more ergonomic feel, overall it feels surprisingly good in the hand. The device fires instantly with next to no ramp up and i didn't suffer any misfires, however unless it was my imagination wattage seemed just slightly down and found myself setting the wattage just 5W higher than on most other devices but to me not a massive issue. The wattage scrolls in point 5 watt increments unless you hold the button down then it switches to 1 watt increments up to 100W and then switches to 1W up to 200W which i like. The squonking system works great with the bottle being just the right tension, filling the bottle (not that you need to do it often with the 10ml capacity) is as easy as filling a top-fill tank, it's an impressive innovative device. It is slightly on the large size with a bit of weight but after using the single battery version is more compact and ergonomic than i was expecting and any atty's 30mm and below will look good up top which is a big pro. Although i don't use TC and don't know how it performs it's another pro the dual comes with TC straight out the box and obviously being a dual battery device it has better battery life than the single battery version. To be honest i would still use the single battery version rather than the dual when out and about as i tend to vape using single coil builds rather than dual but indoors i can see the Topside dual getting plenty of use, it's the best dual battery squonker i have used.

Very good build quality
No button rattle whatsoever
Aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion)
Plenty of colour options
Ergonomic (despite size)
Top-fill
Dual battery device
Battery door fits securely (no rattles)
Orientation in White
Innovative
Nice size and shaped fire button
Simple to Navigate
Sharp, very bright display
10ml Capacity
Variable wattage and voltage
Temp Control (not tested)
Point 5 watt increment scrolling
Bottle is easy to give a quick clean
Spare bottle included with lid (carry loaded with e-liquid)
Quick bottle assembly switch
Suffered no leaking
Squonks consistently
Up to 30mm atty's
Fires instantly with quick ramp up
Good battery life
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Quite large and heavy (obvious 2 batteries and 10ml bottle)
Wattage seemed just slightly down (not a major issue to me)
To thoroughly clean bottle means undoing screws and taking assembly apart
A few more options like adjusting screen timeout etc would be beneficial

I would once again like to thank Cortana from the Healthcabin for supplying the Dovpo Topside Dual 200W Squonk Box Mod for the purpose of this review.

https://www.healthcabin.net/dovpo-topsid...20595.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread