The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Dr. Farsalinos preemptive debunk of a study uthored by an Indoor Environmental Engineering scientist from California and published by the journal “Bui

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Painter_, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    And 100% get exhaled by the bystander as well - iow, no second hand vape effect. :) .... which there isn't anyway regardless

2. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    By George, I think we've invented perpetual motion! The laws of inertia and energy loss are now HISTORY!

Andria

3. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    If we could bottle and sell the stuff, we'd never have to buy liquids again.

4. OCD

OCD Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    California, Kern
    Heres the real math.

Vaping is said to be 100 times less harmful than smoking. About 1 in 5 folks smoke. If everyone took up vaping it is still 20 times better for society as a whole. Vaping should be a requirement :D

5. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Seattle area
    LOL brilliant!

6. caramel

caramel Vaping Master

Dec 23, 2014
    I wonder how the researcher found PG and nicotine but missed carbon dioxide. The exhale of a healthy person, vaping or not, contains about 4-5% carbon dioxide, an order of magnitude above the OSHA/NIOSH limits and two orders of magnitude above natural ambient exposure.

A good reason to ban breathing in public spaces, isn't it. Oh wait, we were supposed to ban vaping, not breathing.

7. Kent C

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    From most of the THR studies done, they're virtually identical :)

8. caramel

caramel Vaping Master

Dec 23, 2014
    Except one "looks like smoking" and thus should be regulated by the Tobacco Control industry. /sarcasm

Now seriously. Any decent (i.e. not manure class) study should look at something like the effects of vaping in a reasonably ventilated space (e.g. like min 8 liters per second per person as per UK rules for office spaces). Looking exclusively at the undiluted exhale would show that it is higly toxic just based on the carbon dioxide alone period.

9. Kent C

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    Absolutely! Breathing should be regulated when the air temperature is below 40° F. :D

10. philoshop

philoshop Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    One must never let reality get in the way of an ideological movement once it's gained momentum.

11. philoshop

philoshop Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    I'm imagining people walking around with snorkel-type devices fitted with catalytic convertors....
    Breathalyzer attachment with strobe light would be optional of course, depending on the municipality having jurisdiction.

12. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    #notblowingsmoke interfered royally with their dishonest stillblowingsmoke campaign. I saw a funny on twitter the other day, someone posted a help wanted notice they found, for someone with a communications background to work in a "fast-paced environment," to work for the State of California health services. That's truly hilarious... as if whoever designed that stillblowingsmoke travesty got the axe. Good. Nice to know that karma is still working hard. :D

Andria

13. jtpjc

jtpjc Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2010
    Netherlands
    Obviously he meant 100% binary, which is 4% decimal. He probably didn't mean 100% hexadecimal, which equals 256% decimal, for which you need approx. 101 binary lungs.

14. nomore stinkies

nomore stinkies Gee, Who did that? ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    IL
    OMG Hilarious. I loved the snorkel, jar, math..... Thanks for making my day. One has to laugh at their "seriousness". I guess they all think we are developmentally inept due, of course, to the nicotine. Thanks for the laughs.

15. caramel

caramel Vaping Master

Dec 23, 2014
    This actually was an useful study. I learned that I shouldn't vape inside a plastic bag pulled over my head, as the PG and nicotine levels could attain dangerous levels. I'm glad our tax money is used for advanced science.

16. Woofer

Woofer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2014
    PA, SK, CA
    missed ya, glad you are back! :)

17. jwbnyc

jwbnyc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 4, 2014
    Actually, what they think is that we are all mentally ill.

Honestly, do a search, it's pretty amazing.

18. caramel

caramel Vaping Master

Dec 23, 2014
    They like to insinuate it (as an ad hominem attack) but they will never firmly state it. Because at that point it would also become a disability and they would have to stop oppressing people based on such.

19. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    [​IMG]

:D
    Andria

20. nicnik

nicnik Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    I think this might be the study. If it is, can anybody make sense of it? Especially, the part about figuring 70ml per puff. Is that meant like it sounds?

iee-sf.
    com/pdf/ASHRAEJOffermann.pdf

also a better formed pdf at:

bookstore.ashrae
    .biz/journal/download.php?file=2014June_038-047_IAQ_Offerman_rev.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.